Bradley Wiggins needs media training

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Segregation. Tick.

Getting heavy good vehicles out of city centres. Tick.

:)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Maybe being more media savvy he could give better answers.

But we still don't know what the exact question was! The video doesn't show it. Criticizing his answer for omitting something you think he should have said when we don't know the exact question does make your comments seem a little short sighted!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    supersonic wrote:
    I think Wiggins has a personality that people like, and I think these wins, combined with his personality will cause a huge boom in cycling this summer. Let's not turn him into the Nigel Mansell of cycling.

What about the brilliant weather we're having!? Maybe Wiggo's success will inspire people to go and buy a bike, but with the current weather most will ride a few times, get caught in a rain storm (as I have most days for the last two months) and give up.

...As for Wiggo's comments, I love that he speaks his mind and doesn't care, that's what makes a personality, not someone who says what is politically correct all the time, that's boring and lacking of personality.

Yeah, is raining again lol. But Wiggo is the new cool. Him and his sideburns have propelled road bikes and the like to a whole new level of coolness. The crowds and chanting at the TT were fantastic, and I do think there is more to it than just the medal he was going to get, but the fact he does speak his mind and have a personality - as you mention. I think that his drugs 'rant' was just what the public wanted to hear, not the same old "I have never taken drugs, nor been tested positive and am against them in all shapes and form" comments that we have heard time and time again, and are comments I think people are starting not to believe.

Many sports have gained massively from personalities, the outspoken, and the maybe a little-controversial types. Usain Bolt is one such character, a laid back guy that likes to party, play it up on the start line and, like Wiggo, just speaks his mind. And we love him, he has lifted the tarnished world of some portions of athletics into an event that is more popular than ever. Wiggins is going to do the same, and it will bring a smile to my face seeing a load more people on their new shiny bikes (and sideburns - and maybe helmets ;-)) having a go.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    he got me back on my bike with his 4th place finish in 09, imagine what will happen now he has won the yellow jumper and a Gold.

Plus as others have said, he is a character which is why people like him.

(p.s - i have always had side burns, i'm not just trying to follow wiggo)
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    jonomc4 wrote:
    I think if you compare Wiggins responses with those of Chris Boardman on News Night last night you can see what can be achieved by some media training (and being sober) - what Boardman said was spot on in my opinion.

I really admire Wiggins and generally like his interviews but I think this time he was worse for wear and gave statements that the press and lay public will jump on and it could even set cycling back, whether he likes it or not his is a major icon now and people will hang on his every word.

Thank you for bringing up the parallels between Boardman on Newsnight and Wiggins.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    F*ck me you still harping on about this?
  • +1 on the props to Chris Boardman on Newsnight. Very ( x lots) well said sir.
  • DonDaddyD
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    F*ck me you still harping on about this?
    If you don't like what is being discussed then don't read it and don't post.

What is unreasonable is to expect people who do want to discuss it to stop simply because you don't like it. And if you don't want us to stop, what is the point of you post demostrating that you take exception to this thread?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • I'm sure we all agree that Chris Boardman is an excellent spokesperson for British cycling. Does this mean Bradley Wiggins should have 'media training' - whatever that actually involves - in order to be like him? I sincerely hope not.
  • DonDaddyD
    If you do not know what media training is then how could you possibly comment either way?
    Food Chain number = 4

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    You need more work to do than posting threads like this, public sector?
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    If you do not know what media training is then how could you possibly comment either way?

Ouch! Burned by the D-meister!
  • Paul E wrote:

I am Public Sector and need more work as well as popcorn while reading this!
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/399251
  • DonDaddyD
    Paul E wrote:
    And that contributes to the discussion how?

^^
    I wrote:
    Honestly half the people who think they can say rude things to me on here wouldn't dare do so if they met me in the real World.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Paul E
    Paul E wrote:

I am Public Sector and need more work as well as popcorn while reading this!

Sweet or Sour? (yes this is entertaining, not helpful but entertaining)

I wasn't rude in what I said either.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641

your sentence structure is americanised. it is an eye-sore.
  • Paul E

I was expecting a picture of yoda...
  • DonDaddyD
    What do you know about my employment status that makes you think you have a right to comment on it?
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    edited August 2012

Your sentence doesn't start with a capital letter. However, I am happy to say that I can live through it. I'm sorry mine impacts upon your life so much.
    Food Chain number = 4

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Like, yea, but - y'know, whatever.
  • Paul E
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What do you know about my employment status that makes you think you have a right to comment on it?

My experience with that sector and the fact that you post many such threads like this made me come to that conclusion, just a wild stab in the dark.

I have as many rights as you on here but I try and keep my many thoughts to myself without having to ask everything that comes into my head in a new thread.

The answer is still no, he doesn't.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
    Paul E wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

My experience with that sector and the fact that you post many such threads like this made me come to that conclusion, just a wild stab in the dark.

I have as many rights as you on here but I try and keep my many thoughts to myself without having to ask everything that comes into my head in a new thread.

Yeah, but if Sharktopus has lasers he'd beat both Kong and Godzilla
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Paul E
    Paul E wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yeah, but if Sharktopus has lasers he'd beat both Kong and Godzilla

Have you been watching that extremely bad channel called syfy on sky???
  • DonDaddyD
    Paul E wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

The level of presumption and arrogance you display is truly astounding.

1. The answer is not 'no'. In your opinion he does not need media training. Your opinion, in this context, is not an answer that a fact can be drawn from.

2. Your singular experience of work in the public sector is not representative of all the jobs and all the experiences that could be gained from the entirety of the public sector. Unless you can say that you have experience/knowledge of working with or in a School, NHS, Police Force, Fire Services, Library, Armed Forces, Department of Health etc (and all the possible jobs contained within those facets grouped together as the 'public sector') you cannot possibly claim to have a right to comment on another persons employment status. You may think you do, but no, you really do not.

3. I appreciate that you have as many rights as I do while participating on this website. I have the right to avoid your posts and threads, which I do, because I do not enjoy engaging with you online. If you do not enjoy or like my threads why read them and why post in them, especially if you have nothing constructive to say?

I see no reason why I should stop posting or creating threads simply because you, for whatever reason, disapprove. However, your obnoxious actions encroach on my ability and right to enjoy the website peacefully.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The level of presumption and arrogance you display is truly astounding.....

I agree with DDD, the use of ad hominem attacks seriously detracts from what might otherwise be perfectly reasonable discussions.

Maybe a spot of media training is called for here?
  • Paul E
    How do you know I haven't had any and I am using that to be exactly as I am ;-)

Nice long post btw.

My right to use this site are affected by inane threads like this one that crop up all the time discussion for the sake of discussion is mind numbing
  • DonDaddyD
    Paul E wrote:
    My right to use this site are affected by inane threads like this one that crop up all the time discussion for the sake of discussion is mind numbing
    OK this is just your personal issue and not my problem but lets entertain:

There are 30 discussion threads on each page of these forums. Three [at the time of posting] are mine.

If my 3 threads are affecting your ability to engage with the other 27 threads on the first page of these forums then perhaps you shouldn't go looking for my threads because, honestly, they are easily missed amongst 27 other active discussions.

As for discussion for the sake of discussion being mind numbing. What should we have a discussion (on an online forum) for? Should I even care as my threads fall within the concept of the forum description.

If you don't like it, don't read it and don't post.

It is an easy concept.
    Food Chain number = 4

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK this is just your personal issue and not my problem but lets entertain
    Okay, stop right there, this is why you get so many people taking issue.

Stop bothering to 'entertain' them. Every post doesn't need to be answered, just move on. Far too easy to bait you and there's always someone on the internet that's having a bad day and wants a chance to vent. You always, always, bite. Just step away from the keyboard.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    edited August 2012
    dhope wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK this is just your personal issue and not my problem but lets entertain
    Okay, stop right there, this is why you get so many people taking issue.

Stop bothering to 'entertain' them. Every post doesn't need to be answered, just move on. Far too easy to bait you and there's always someone on the internet that's having a bad day and wants a chance to vent. You always, always, bite. Just step away from the keyboard.
    Hang on, so the 'ad hom' and DDD bashing is OK is it? It should continue unchallenged almost every time I make a post?

There was nothing wrong with the original post in this thread. Regardless of whether people disagree with it. I don't litter the board with endless threads (as proven), there was no cause or justification for the 'ad hom' attacks like comments of a personal nature about how much I post and trying to link it to my job or personal life.

I don't see why I should have to put up with it. If I remain within the rules I should be allowed to post, make threads and discuss things I think are interesting to me. Everyone has the option to take part or don't read, don't post and simply avoid.

What isn't right and what should stop are people trying to force me to stop (or off the website) simply because they disagree with what I have to say and have taken a disliking to my online persona.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It's a truly sad day when the Daily Mail can have a more reasoned post about cycling than the denizens of this forum...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
This discussion has been closed.