Bradley Wiggins needs media training

Comments

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    For me, bottom line? If this guy is going to be the spokesman for us cyclists I would like him to do a better job of representing us than giving a rant about helmets that achieves nothing.

I wasn't aware that he was. Has anyone told him? Does that mean Lewis Hamilton is the spokesman for all car drivers?

What Bradley said didn't strike me as a rant or the ramblings of a drunkard. He was asked his opinion and he gave it. His opinion on compulsory helmets is slightly controversial but that's all it is, an opinion.

I really can't see what the fuss is all about.

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    One man (a Brit, no less!) wins an olympic gold only a couple of weeks after winning the TdF.

Another man dies in a horrendous accident.

And yet. What we still end up talking about, is DonDaddyD.
    Rules are for fools.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    One thing that annoyed me yesterday was his

"the people that have come out to support on the roads around here ermm whereever we are is great" You know where we are you muppet.

"you couldn't as for a better backdrop than this, wherever we are, that castle" What probably one of the most famous English palaces in the world?

He came accross a bit bad there for me, just pointless throwaway comments.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    edited August 2012
    EDIT: I prefer Veronese68's interpretation
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Waddlie wrote:
    One man (a Brit, no less!) wins an olympic gold only a couple of weeks after winning the TdF.

Another man dies in a horrendous accident.

And yet. What we still end up talking about, is DonDaddyD.
    I take it you have an some imagined issue with me.

Attack the argument not the person. :roll:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    okgo wrote:
    He came across a bit bad there for me, just pointless throwaway comments.

I for one enjoy never coming across badly, and all my jokes being wildly hilarious.

Wiggins on twitter a few minutes ago
    Just to confirm I haven't called for helmets to be made law as reports suggest
    I suggested it may be the way to go to give cyclists more protection legally if involved in an accident
    I wasn't on a soap box CALLING, was asked what I thought #myopiniondoesntcountformuch

*This is sad but true, it is one less thing to use against the cyclist, whatever the circumstances. I know it shouldn't matter but there you go.

His last hashtag suggests he has turned down DDD's offer of becoming spokesman for us cyclists. Seems a shame.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's not the first time it's happened, nor will it be the last for Wiggins.

When journos ask questions, you know why they're asking. You know what the motive is.

It's not a question of media training, just a bit of common sense. Likelihood is he was a bit sh!tfaced anyway.
  • DonDaddyD
    pangolin wrote:
    His last hashtag suggests he has turned down DDD's offer of becoming spokesman for us cyclists. Seems a shame.
    Where did I offer or ask for Wiggins to be our spokesman? I said by virtue of his visiblity and public profile he is. Regardless of whether he wants to be or if we want him to be, to the lay person Wiggins is a cyclist end of.

How many people see my fat ass ride a bike to work and then drop a 'Wiggins' into conversation, I'm a Contador fan, 'Conta-what' they say.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    How many people see my fat ass ride a bike to work

I heard you're always at the back, so erm.... none?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Surely they say "what that cheating barsteward?"
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    They were probably winding you up because they disagree with Contador's past :)

Really? No-one has mentioned Wiggins to me because of me cycling, just the normal "did you see the TT", type stuff you would expect. No-one has wagged their finger at me for not wearing a helmet following his comments yet either.

I just find this whole cyclist death / wiggins comment / media overblowing stuff really sad and boring. Can we go back to discussing what hybrid is best?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Really who cares? He did a great job, so he might have put his foot in it a bit, its his opinion nothing more. I really fail to see what the point is. First slagging Victoria Pendleton off now this, everyone has flaws. Just enjoy what they are good at and be thankful for the publicity the sport is getting. :roll:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    pangolin wrote:
    They were probably winding you up because they disagree with Contador's past :)

Really? No-one has mentioned Wiggins to me because of me cycling, just the normal "did you see the TT", type stuff you would expect. No-one has wagged their finger at me for not wearing a helmet following his comments yet either.

I just find this whole cyclist death / wiggins comment / media overblowing stuff really sad and boring. Can we go back to discussing what hybrid is best?

The one your ridding is always the answer.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DonDaddyD
    I just think Wiggins could perform better in the media and do more, if these questions are going to be continually posed to him, for grass roots level cyclists like us commuters. Maybe he doesn't want to be the spokesperson, he may find he has no choice.

Anyway....
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    How many people see my fat ass ride a bike to work

I heard you're always at the back, so erm.... none?
    gauntlet.jpg
    Food Chain number = 4

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Not getting much support here DDD.

The correct answer to your original question is - No.

Move along, nothing to see here.............
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • DonDaddyD
    daviesee wrote:

I don't do it for support I have a view, I post people can either agree, disagree or not comment at all. I always try to look at the counter argument and add it, if viable, to my own personal view. Sometimes my view changes due to gaining insight to others perceptions or not.
    Food Chain number = 4

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    if these questions are going to be continually posed to him

But what was the question?
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I think Wiggins is a breath of fresh air. He's a normal guy who isn't bothered with all the red carpet stuff. Yeah he doesn't come across as well as Cav might but thats not his thing. He lives in a northern town, keeps himself to himself and tried to offer an opinion of cycling safety. The helmet thing was just part of a general theme that things can't remain as they are and more needs to be done for cyclists saftey, including cyclists taking their share of the responsibility. Yeah he could have phrased it all better but its got everybody debating cycling safety so maybe something good will come of it all.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Many of you have shouted me down for suggesting that Bradley Wiggins needs media training.
    looks like many of us have still shouted you down!!! :wink: would you argue with yourself if you couldn't go online!!!
    Honestly, what good do these raw Wiggins outburst achieve?

Why should they do any good? He's just a bloke who's good at cycling. Don't give me any role model stuff. Parents/ carers are children's main role models. I've worked in education, with kids, and I'm telling you, if they come from a crap home life, with awful parents, Wiggins having media training won't make a blind bit of difference to their lives. Maybe teachers, social workers, youth leaders etc. might change things for them. But Wiggins won't. Sure, maybe one poor kid will be inspired to take up cycling, and that turns his life around for whatever reason. But - he's been inspired by wiggo as a cyclist - not following him because he's a role model

So don't shout me down until you yourselves weigh and consider the wider picture.

We've all weighed and considered...

yep,then shouted you down!!! :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    I believe this might be it - I can't see it on my work computer: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2 ... ists-video
    Food Chain number = 4

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I said by virtue of his visiblity and public profile he is. Regardless of whether he wants to be or if we want him to be, to the lay person Wiggins is a cyclist end of.
    Then blame the lay person for being an idiot, don't blame the cyclist for being able to ride a bike.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I believe this might be it - I can't see it on my work computer: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2 ... ists-video

Seems like a decent enough statement to me, covered a lot of things - maybe not as eloquently as you may like it, but it does not seem he was asked specifically about the accident in question nor how it happened, nor about riding down the left hand side of vehicles. It seems a general response to the likes of: "what can cyclists (and maybe drivers) do to make themselves safer?". But we just don't know. In fact watching it again, I thought his comments on cyclists and motorists coexisting was rather good.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

I don't do it for support I have a view, I post people can either agree, disagree or not comment at all. I always try to look at the counter argument and add it, if viable, to my own personal view. Sometimes my view changes due to gaining insight to others perceptions or not.

Ah, but if you're not after support then you're surely just another 'visionary' shouting to the passers-by on the digital equivalent of speaker's corner. Which is pretty much the way you come across to me!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    No - leave the guy alone, he's entitled to his opinion.
    He's an athlete not a cycling spokesman - don't try to turn him into something he's not.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    okgo wrote:
    One thing that annoyed me yesterday was his

"the people that have come out to support on the roads around here ermm whereever we are is great" You know where we are you muppet.

"you couldn't as for a better backdrop than this, wherever we are, that castle" What probably one of the most famous English palaces in the world?

He came accross a bit bad there for me, just pointless throwaway comments.
    He was setting up a joke but nobody stepped up.
    Wiggo "...wherever we are"
    A N Other "Hampton Court"
    Wiggo "No, I always walk like this"

I hope I don't need to translate rhyming slang
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Bradley Wiggins: "Just to confirm I haven't called for helmets to be made the law as reports suggest. I suggested it may be the way to go to give cyclists more protection legally I involved In an accident. I wasn't on me soap box CALLING, was asked what I thought #myopiniondoesntcountformuch "
  • supersonic wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Seems like a decent enough statement to me, covered a lot of things - maybe not as eloquently as you may like it, but it does not seem he was asked specifically about the accident in question nor how it happened, nor about riding down the left hand side of vehicles. It seems a general response to the likes of: "what can cyclists (and maybe drivers) do to make themselves safer?". But we just don't know. In fact watching it again, I thought his comments on cyclists and motorists coexisting was rather good.

about the only bit he seemed vague was about helmets, I suspect as his twitter feed sugests he was thinking more on the legal cover, rather than new laws on compultion per say.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    @ Veronese68

Ha!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    JZed wrote:
    Bradley Wiggins: "Just to confirm I haven't called for helmets to be made the law as reports suggest. I suggested it may be the way to go to give cyclists more protection legally I involved In an accident. I wasn't on me soap box CALLING, was asked what I thought #myopiniondoesntcountformuch "

Thats better...

I don't think Wiggins needs any training at all. I think the journalist who asked him the leading question while he had had a few celebratory drinks needs the training.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    PBo wrote:
    Honestly, what good do these raw Wiggins outburst achieve?

Why should they do any good? He's just a bloke who's good at cycling. Don't give me any role model stuff. Parents/ carers are children's main role models. I've worked in education, with kids, and I'm telling you, if they come from a crap home life, with awful parents, Wiggins having media training won't make a blind bit of difference to their lives. Maybe teachers, social workers, youth leaders etc. might change things for them. But Wiggins won't. Sure, maybe one poor kid will be inspired to take up cycling, and that turns his life around for whatever reason. But - he's been inspired by wiggo as a cyclist - not following him because he's a role model

You know something? I think in this age of over-polished and 'perfect' sportsmen, he might actually have more effect on kids because he's a bit... grumpy. Almost Kevin and Perry-esque. "Leave me alone! I HATE you. I just want to ride my bike!"
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
This discussion has been closed.