Bradley Wiggins needs media training

Comments

• airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    notsoblue wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    Bradley Wiggins: "Just to confirm I haven't called for helmets to be made the law as reports suggest. I suggested it may be the way to go to give cyclists more protection legally I involved In an accident. I wasn't on me soap box CALLING, was asked what I thought #myopiniondoesntcountformuch "

Thats better...

I don't think Wiggins needs any training at all. I think the journalist who asked him the leading question while he had had a few celebratory drinks needs the training.

mmm, hope said journo faces some sort of action over that. Unfortunately, his opinion does count - though I can appreciate he might not want it to. There's got to be some middle ground between bland, PC soundbite machine, and starting a fight against your best intentions through tactless comments.

Possibly I'm trying too hard to forgive him (because, you know, why I think matters) - tbh I'm a little suprised how strong the reaction is. I'd've thought wiggins could get away with ordering everyone to put on blackface and cycle one-footed atm, honestly would you care about the reaction to a drunken offhand comment you made just after making history?
  • Bradley Wiggins: 'I did NOT call for compulsory helmets for cyclists'

http://www.standard.co.uk/olympics/olym ... 01325.html
    The champion said he only "believed it might be a way to go" for people on bikes to be offered more protection legally if involved in an accident.

Writing a series of comments on Twitter told followers: "Just to confirm I haven't called for helmets to be made the law as reports suggest.

"I suggested it may be the way to go to give cyclists more protection legally I (sic) involved In an accident.

"I wasn't on me soap box CALLING, was asked what I thought myopiniondoesntcountformuch".
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Whoa the daily mail lot are out in force on the comments section
  • Why on earth would he need media training? He's clearly intelligent and eloquent as it is. Do you maybe mean he needs to be told what to say? Despite the fact that he was a little drunk he got his point across perfectly well. Even if he did mean that helmet wearing should be made compulsory, it's a perfectly reasonable belief to have whether you, I or anyone else agrees with it. Media training indeed!

Could we maybe lobby Bike Radar to have a facepalm emoticon added to the 'smilies'. It would save us all an awful lot of time when feeling the need to reply to any of DDD's ridiculous threads.

facepalm.gif
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Are the ad hominem attacks necessary.

I have an opinion discuss why you agree or disagree.

Making sarky comments aimed at me doesn't strengthen your point.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Making sarky comments aimed at me doesn't strengthen your point.
    "DDD's ridiculous threads" isn't an ad hominem attack; it's a comment on your threads, not you.

DDD, you've got to admit that this thread is a bit exasperating: Wiggins never set himself up as a spokesman, he got plonked on a stand with journalists asking him questions because he happened to win a friggin gold medal! And his opinion - which he clarified later - is perfectly valid, even if you don't agree with it. That should be the end of it.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I have an opinion discuss why you agree or disagree.
    Sure, but the average troller can say the same thing. I know you're not a troll, but the first post did seem like a setup to endless arguing...
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    DDD has a point. Attacking him will only make the thread persist. If we all ignore the thread it just goes away.

Try to strike it down and it will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • DonDaddyD
    I think there are those who become spokesemen through circumstance. Rio Ferdinand seems to be a spokesman for kicking racism out of football as did Thierry Henry when he played for Arsenal. Neither set themselves up to be, circumstance played its card and this they became.

Brooke Kinsella is seemingly a spokesperson speaking out against knife crime, again unfortunate circumstance has forced into that light.

It is not unthinkable that Wiggins, being arguably the most premier cyclist in Britain, will be called upon to give comment on cycling in Britain. Especially as the cycling boom seems to have no pause (specifically commuting). He us outspoken so will always try to give an answer, which is great. Maybe being more media savvy he could give better answers.

At the start of the other thread everyone criticised Wiggins comments about mandatory helmets - in general - as it didn't get to the crux of the issue. People complained about his f-word rant about dopping and the professional cynics who dismiss all winners of the TDF as drugs cheats.

Now everyone is a Wiggins apologist....

Oh well I'm done, t'was an intersting conversation for me at least.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    pangolin wrote:
    DDD has a point. Attacking him will only make the thread persist. If we all ignore the thread it just goes away.

Try to strike it down and it will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
    Seriously, if you don't like the fucking thread don't read it and don't post in it. Or are you unable to see that your contributions are fueling that which you are complaining about?
    Food Chain number = 4

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Stop posting silly threads, get a printout of the gauntlet image and get your ass over to Richmond Park tomorrow. Keyboard warrior gets dull.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    dhope wrote:
    Stop posting silly threads, get a printout of the gauntlet image and get your ass over to Richmond Park tomorrow. Keyboard warrior gets dull.

Hahahahahahhaha
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • DonDaddyD
    edited August 2012
    Dhope, I'm at Richmond Park every Sunday.

I don't think the thread is silly. Just because you do doesn't mean I do or that it is. I'm not going to argue with you over who is more right. If I think a topic is worth discussing then I'll make a thread about it. If you don't like it don't read, don't post.

Its prickish behaviour towards me personally as demonstrated in this thread that has made me stop doing social things like group rides, Xmas party or going to the Morpeth.
    Food Chain number = 4

• dhope
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm at Richmond Park every Sunday.
    Yes, I was talking about SCR drinks :roll:
    Keyboard warrior gets dull because it's normally just a bunch of people shouting opinions into an empty room. About as much use as someone with media training talking to a journalist. Nobody learns anything new and nobody's opinion changes.
    In person then you can actually talk, and you like to talk.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Its prickish behaviour and comments like yours that has made me stop doing social things like group rides, Xmas party or going to the Morpeth.
    Don't be so precious, you give it but you can't take it. If I didn't think you were a decent individual I wouldn't respond to you at all, so take any comments in the spirit of SCR and MTFU.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    dhope wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Its prickish behaviour and comments like yours that has made me stop doing social things like group rides, Xmas party or going to the Morpeth.
    Don't be so precious, you give it but you can't take it. If I didn't think you were a decent individual I wouldn't respond to you at all, so take any comments in the spirit of SCR and MTFU.

Never mind olympic moments; that made me sob like a child. *man hugs*
  • dhope
    vermin wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Never mind olympic moments; that made me sob like a child. *man hugs*
    Hey, it's not like I want to have his children, I don't think his persona could survive a second child. He needs some tough love at times, or a bit of hand holding. Like Vicky P, without the body, or pace.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    dhope wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Why should I? The DDD berating gets dull.

I come here to share, discuss and challenge opinions. I break no rules in doing so. More and more I have to wade through the bullshit of DDD bashing and people who think they have an issue with my online persona simply to get a decent discussion.

Is it entirely unreasonable, is it really that silly to suggest that a famous person who is in the media spotlight has media training when so many others do? People may not want him to have the training, that doesn't make the suggestion itself a ridiculous one.

Honestly if anyone else made this thread there wouldn't be so much hating towards the OP and more constructive posts. Honestly half the people who think they can say rude things to me on here wouldn't dare do so if they met me in the real World. Pagnolin, I remember you on a bike ride I organised on here. You were a quiet humble one. I'm glad you've now found your 'voice'.

So who is the keyboard warrior because I've always been me.
    Food Chain number = 4

• pangolin
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Honestly if anyone else made this thread there wouldn't be so much hating towards the OP and more constructive posts.

No one else did though. And someone else who did would probably also start lots of other threads and end up being the focus of a lot of attention.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Honestly half the people who think they can say rude things to me on here wouldn't dare do so if they met me in the real World. Pangolin, I remember you on a bike ride I organised on here. You were a quiet humble one. I'm glad you've now found your 'voice'.

If you think I'm being rude to you personally then I'm sorry, I don't mean to be. You post a lot and a lot of it's controversial so I guess statistically opinions I differ with are more likely to be yours. The last comment was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek and was clearly a star wars reference.

Yeah I'm quite shy when I meet people for the first time. I think you introduced yourself with "who are you?" :) It was a fun ride, we should do it again.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    It's absurd that a man has been crushed by a bus and Wiggins is telling people he should have worn a helmet (even though he did, and it could not withstand a 15-tonne bus)

I'm just looking at the top comments on the DM article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... Games.html

This is the top comment:
    "I'm sorry, it's very sad, but most cyclists show complete disregard to all motorists and road laws and they think they can do what they want, when they want. The sooner the laws are tightened up for them and THEY are prosecuted for running red lights and cutting up cars the better."

It's nice that he is good at cycling and is also British, but I don't see this (the Olympics) as good for the actual experience of riding a bicycle for the millions in this country who are certainly NOT Olympic athletes.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    @pangolin
    Another literary man hug. I can't cope. Please stop this thread.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Interesting thread. I think his comments were taken out of context. He is cleary an intelligent man and is passionate about certain things and as demonstrated does not suffer fools easily. Admirable qualitys in my eyes. However I can kind of see where DDD is coming from.

He should not be neuterued and I think media training to make him into a drone would be very sad and I couldnt see it happening. But as pointed out due to his achievements the whole of the UK look up to him as a cycling god and will hang on every word and every word he speaks will be dissected and in some cases twisted by a hungry journo wanting his column inchs.

Perhaps a little bit more restraint is required because his comments do have a massive effect however in the same breath he does not owe anyone anything and probably doesnt want to be that person. Bit of a double edged sword.

Just sad the media as usual take an epic achievement by a talented BRITISH sports man and skew it and rip it apart for some reason.

Being new here there does seem to be a massive amount of hostility verging on Cyber bullying towards DDD. If someone else did post this thread I have to agree half the comments would not have been made. But what do I know I am just new ;)
  • pangolin
    vermin wrote:
    @pangolin
    Another literary man hug. I can't cope. Please stop this thread.

OK vermin you can come on our ride too.

We'll call it Brokeback-Boxhill. All are welcome.

Except for girls.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I think if you compare Wiggins responses with those of Chris Boardman on News Night last night you can see what can be achieved by some media training (and being sober) - what Boardman said was spot on in my opinion.

I really admire Wiggins and generally like his interviews but I think this time he was worse for wear and gave statements that the press and lay public will jump on and it could even set cycling back, whether he likes it or not his is a major icon now and people will hang on his every word.
  • padders
    padders Posts: 77
    Marmalade
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pangolin
    What is happening?!?!?!

At least comments are normal. Not quite the end of the world then.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • supersonic wrote:
    I think Wiggins has a personality that people like, and I think these wins, combined with his personality will cause a huge boom in cycling this summer. Let's not turn him into the Nigel Mansell of cycling.

What about the brilliant weather we're having!? Maybe Wiggo's success will inspire people to go and buy a bike, but with the current weather most will ride a few times, get caught in a rain storm (as I have most days for the last two months) and give up.

...As for Wiggo's comments, I love that he speaks his mind and doesn't care, that's what makes a personality, not someone who says what is politically correct all the time, that's boring and lacking of personality.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    pangolin wrote:
    What is happening?!?!?!

I had to sit down after reading the article. Then I realised I was sitting down, so I sat down some more.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pangolin
    pangolin wrote:
    What is happening?!?!?!

I had to sit down after reading the article. Then I realised I was sitting down, so I sat down some more.

Probably the most balanced article about bicycle safety I've ever read. And where did I read it? Well I never.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
This discussion has been closed.