What next for Wiggo?

hammerite
hammerite Posts: 3,408
edited August 2012 in Pro race
Not that he's not performed this season.... but is this it for the season, he'll take a rest, go on a bender and return for a victory lap around the Tour of Britain?

You'd have to think with his TT form and with Martin/Cancellara not on a roll of TT wins that Wiggo stands a decent chance in the TT at the Worlds this year. Do you reckon he's considering it?

Comments

• He'd be mad not to.
  • Can he keep it going long enough for the Worlds though? Surely he's got to ease off at some point and have a break.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Can he keep it going long enough for the Worlds though? Surely he's got to ease off at some point and have a break.

There's only one way of finding out!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I can see him giving the World's TT a miss, giving the new generation a shot, but contributing to the new Team TT
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    I'd imagine it will go something like this:

Some very profitable criteriums
    Tour of Britain victory lap
    Worlds TTT and maybe TT

Next year and beyond... Presumably defending Tour de France crown, depending on parcours. He's apparently said he wants to have a proper crack at Paris-Roubaix - maybe 2014? I'd personally love to see him attempt the hour.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Can't see him turning down the chance to wear the bands all year.... not sure he'll race before that mind.
  • They had an item on the local news up here about after the tour he went to a local pub for a quiet meal with his family and had to be smuggled in in the boot of a car. Such is fame.....or such is eccleston.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Can't see him turning down the chance to wear the bands all year.... not sure he'll race before that mind.

I can see him turning down the chance to get beaten by a fully fit and on form Tony Martin though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    RichN95 wrote:
    Moomaloid wrote:

I can see him turning down the chance to get beaten by a fully fit and on form Tony Martin though.

Martin's been comparatively rubbish all year though, who's to say he'll be back to his peak for the worlds. If Brad can do it then i'd say it's worth the risk of losing.

I would love to see Wiggins have a crack at Paris-Roubaix, maybe have one more crack at the Tour next year then focus on some different races in 2014.

I also wonder how many more years he'll ride for? He mentioned riding in Rio in 2016, but not sure if he was 100% srerious or not. I can't see it for myself, he's already had a phenomenal career and I think he struggles with the commitment and sacrifice that go with riding at that level so I can only see him doing a couple more years.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Worlds this year... he'd be mad not too...

Paris-Nice
    Tour of Romandie
    Criterium du dauphine
    TdF
    etc.

Maybe the Giro though.. then TdF in support of Froomy.
  • I reckon Sky will try and capitalise on his surrent popularity and he'll ride Tour of Britain leading into the Worlds.
  • Criteriums have been mentioned, but this is something I know little about. I know they were traditionally a way for the TdF winner to make a bit of cash, but does Wiggo need to do this? I don't think he's badly paid and perhaps money doesn't motivate him that much. Is it something that the yellow jersey is expected to do, and would be an insult if he turned it down? Also, would it be a distraction from his next goal, whatever that may be.

Anyway, a crack at the worlds on his current form is surely on, and a Tour of Britain would be good for PR and a good end to the season.

But first he should take a break with the family, let the past few weeks sink in, have a few beers and get off the merry go round he's been on for a while.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I would imagine that he will be in serious demand the next few weeks for appearances and tv interviews. He would be an idiot not to capitalise on it and I'm sure Sky won't stand in his way because it is good publicity for the team.

Would he consider a shot at the hillier World Championship road race this year, or could team GB back Froome for that? I guess he could even try for something really special - world road race champion and world time trial champion. How many people are likely to win a grand tour, Olympic Gold and a World Championship in the same season?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    This may be a dumb question but why do we think he'd target Paris Roubaix?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • inkyfingers

Because it's less about tactics and more about raw power (and a large slice of luck of course).
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • roadiesean
    roadiesean Posts: 577
    He has had the very grandest of grand years, I think normal people would probably disappear under a cloud of sponsor requirements, but I think he can see the danger in that, remember after Athens where he vanished in a cloud of booze and parties. I know he's older, but I think he recognises the potential disaster in that. He is very keen on repeating what he has done to bring about success. My guess is that he'll keep riding with an eye on the Worlds and then rinse and repeat what he's done this year.

Can he do that though, repeat it ? Unlikely, remember Gilberts dominance in 2011 and decidedly ordinary 2012. It is hard, if not impossible to reproduce the sort of success he's had this year and to be honest, I'm not sure we should expect it. The chances of the TdF being a repeat of this year are almost nil, there is a strong feeling that it was a dull Tour, like the Big Mig years, the Giro I don't think suits him, too many huge days and massive hills, and beating the Italians at home is never easy. I think Froome will get his chance at the Giro instead, but IMHO Wiggo won't ride it. Why would he ? He would stand to lose a lot and gain nothing.

But Wiggo winning the rainbow jersey at the Worlds TT ? I sure as hell won't be betting against him. But Fab is going to be mean and desperate to salvage his year.

Oh God, what a year its been !!!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

Because it's less about tactics and more about raw power (and a large slice of luck of course).

Would he not need to 'bulk' up a bit?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Might have to dump the oval chainrings if he wants to give that a good go.
  • inkyfingers

Would he not need to 'bulk' up a bit?

Possibly a bit, hence why I asked above whether he might concentrate on the Tour again next year then have a crack at other races the following year.

The problem is that in terms of coverage and return on investment for his sponsors, winning Pari-Roubaix would be small beer compared to getting on the podium in the Tour.
  • He won't win Paris Roubaix. I can remember similar comments about Boonen winning the Tour after he won Flanders and Roubaix. Oh and I'm still waiting for Cancellara to win Liege and Lombardy.
  • rick_chasey
    He won't win Paris Roubaix. I can remember similar comments about Boonen winning the Tour after he won Flanders and Roubaix. Oh and I'm still waiting for Cancellara to win Liege and Lombardy.

I said the same about the idea of some trackie winning the Tour though...
  • He won't win Paris Roubaix. I can remember similar comments about Boonen winning the Tour after he won Flanders and Roubaix. Oh and I'm still waiting for Cancellara to win Liege and Lombardy.

And the Tour... remember those heady days when pro cycling would ask every rider who won any race if he was going to win the Tour, then put him on the cover with the "Can he win the Tour?" line.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

I said the same about the idea of some trackie winning the Tour though...

Yeah, but what do you know. :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    Fair point.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    I was thinking this. I think he'd possibly struggle at PR against the likes of Boonen and Spartacus, maybe something along the lines of Amstel Gold would suit better? Doesn't have the same reputation as PR though, and Wiggins is very much into his cycling history it seems.
  • inkyfingers
    whyamihere wrote:
    I was thinking this. I think he'd possibly struggle at PR against the likes of Boonen and Spartacus, maybe something along the lines of Amstel Gold would suit better? Doesn't have the same reputation as PR though, and Wiggins is very much into his cycling history it seems.

A race like Amstel Gold has a lot more people in contention though, and tends to be won by somebody with a big kick, either in a sprint or for a big attack.

Paris-Roubaix is a war of attrition, in a typical year you will see guys gradually getting dropped/crashing/suffering mechanicals until you are left with a select group of usually fairly predictable names. Wiggins clearly has the power on the flat to stay with a group like that, but the question is whether he has the tactical nous in one day racing and also whether he could find a way of getting away in the final KMs as he's likely to lose in a sprint with Boonen/Cancellara et al.
  • rick_chasey
    The nature of his riding style makes one day race victories difficult.

Have we ever seen Wiggins in a genuine late race attacking move ala Vino or Canc or anyone like that?

The best we've seen re that was that 'sprint' in the Tour of Romandie.
  • Calder
    Calder Posts: 51
    They had an item on the local news up here about after the tour he went to a local pub for a quiet meal with his family and had to be smuggled in in the boot of a car. Such is fame.....or such is eccleston.

That'll just be the Farmer's Arms jostling for a bit of free publicity. And believe me, with their prices, they need it.
  • inkyfingers
    The nature of his riding style makes one day race victories difficult.

Have we ever seen Wiggins in a genuine late race attacking move ala Vino or Canc or anyone like that?

The best we've seen re that was that 'sprint' in the Tour of Romandie.

It's this that makes Roubaix his best chance in my opinion, as it's often the course that makes the selection rather than the riders.

It's unlikely he'll win Roubaix, but not impossible. At 32 he doesn't have 10 years ahead of him to keep trying either.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Calder wrote:
    That'll just be the Farmer's Arms jostling for a bit of free publicity. And believe me, with their prices, they need it.

Thought he was more of a Windmill man? Place isn't the same since the Blue Anchor got knocked down.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"