The official TrainerRoad thread

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,440
    I hate turbo trainers. I want a set of rollers to replace my turbo trainer, but they are expensive. 2nd hand one's are hard to get and most won't post on flea bay. Thats all.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • There's an American pro-triathlete that trains pretty much exclusively indoors, I can't remember his name but all his training is on the turbo, treadmill and indoor pool.

Couldn't do it myself, but when I was doing TTs i'd estimate that over half my training was on the turbo; more bang for the buck.
    Nil Points
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    How's his bike handling?!
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • There's an American pro-triathlete that trains pretty much exclusively indoors, I can't remember his name but all his training is on the turbo, treadmill and indoor pool.

Couldn't do it myself, but when I was doing TTs i'd estimate that over half my training was on the turbo; more bang for the buck.

His name is Andy Potts and yes, he has great handling skills. There are lots of people who do 75%+ of their training indoors year round. Like big dave says, it's great bang for your buck.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    dw300 wrote:
    Is either the 8 min or the 20 min test any better for estimating FTP? How much did yours change after that test?

I'm surprised at the progress I've made this season, but thus far it's been maybe 3/4s road riding. Will be interesting to see whether the rate of progress changes much as I start to do much more trainer work now that the nights are drawing in.

Is your turbo in a garage? If so then when the temperature drops then so will your speed and your guestimated 'wattage'. Could be quite demoralising.
    More problems but still living....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just started out on my turbo tonight, an Elite Crono Fluid trainer. Loving it so far apart from one thing, I'm unable to use the big cog on it due to resistance!
    Out on the road I could put in 20m in an hour pretty easy, on the trainer I'm struggling to hold 15mph avg for 15mins, due to nearly being on the granny cog!
    Is this normal? I'm not terribly fussed by the lack of imaginary mileage being racked up as I know it will be time and intensity that will improve the legs but still....
  • dw300
    amaferanga wrote:
    dw300 wrote:
    Is either the 8 min or the 20 min test any better for estimating FTP? How much did yours change after that test?

I'm surprised at the progress I've made this season, but thus far it's been maybe 3/4s road riding. Will be interesting to see whether the rate of progress changes much as I start to do much more trainer work now that the nights are drawing in.

Is your turbo in a garage? If so then when the temperature drops then so will your speed and your guestimated 'wattage'. Could be quite demoralising.

Nope, I train in front of the TV, at a balmy 24-25° .. and sweat buckets as a consequence!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • dw300
    Just started out on my turbo tonight, an Elite Crono Fluid trainer. Loving it so far apart from one thing, I'm unable to use the big cog on it due to resistance!
    Out on the road I could put in 20m in an hour pretty easy, on the trainer I'm struggling to hold 15mph avg for 15mins, due to nearly being on the granny cog!
    Is this normal? I'm not terribly fussed by the lack of imaginary mileage being racked up as I know it will be time and intensity that will improve the legs but still....

Seems odd. I use what is just an older version of what you probably have, and I think they should be similar. Unless there's a new version with more resistance. Because looking at your Strava rides, you shouldn't have any problem turning the big ring.

This is one to follow up with Nate, and with Elite.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • Anonymous
    This one is a couple of years old, so maybe it's done? Seems to turn smoothly though with no noise?
    Or maybe I'm just a wuss who pushes harder outside although the bucket full of sweat under me last night suggests otherwise lol
  • dw300
    If it's working smoothly then it's probably ok, although there's no way you shouldn't be able to spin a 50(53)-25 gear.

Has it always had the same resistance?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • Anonymous
    Last night was the one and only time I've used it but like I said it is nearly silent and smooth. Probably just time for me to MTFU I will see again later.
  • Last night was the one and only time I've used it but like I said it is nearly silent and smooth. Probably just time for me to MTFU I will see again later.
    Why have you not got trainer road yet? :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Lol because I have been cycling 6 weeks and bought two bikes in that time and am about to buy yet another. Not to mention all the gadgets, clothes and turbo trainer. Think the mrs will explode if I buy another gadget, I currently dont have the ANT usb thing needed for trainerroad.
    I have a few of the sufferfest vids, a bike, a turbo trainer, a towelm cadence, distance meter and a water bottle.....what else could one possibly need? lol
  • Lol because I have been cycling 6 weeks and bought two bikes in that time and am about to buy yet another. Not to mention all the gadgets, clothes and turbo trainer. Think the mrs will explode if I buy another gadget, I currently dont have the ANT usb thing needed for trainerroad.
    I have a few of the sufferfest vids, a bike, a turbo trainer, a towelm cadence, distance meter and a water bottle.....what else could one possibly need? lol
    ANT+ Equipment :lol:
  • pinno
    dw300 wrote:
    If it's working smoothly then it's probably ok, although there's no way you shouldn't be able to spin a 50(53)-25 gear.

Just put the Argos catalogue under the front wheel, then you'll get more resistance as you will be going uphill.
  • dw300
    dw300 wrote:

Just put the Argos catalogue under the front wheel, then you'll get more resistance as you will be going uphill.

I'm not 100% sure whose problem you are trying to address here .. I feel like you're just trolling now, having posted that twice in the last 20 posts, and you're obviously not reading the thread.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • dw300
    TrainerRoad Sufferfest Revolver

This was the toughest I've done yet!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • Nice intervals well above FTP there DW :D

Here are my latest efforts, all sweet spot stuff.

Ericcson

Monitor

Getting back into it after my 2 weeks off the bike, the extra kilo and a half I put on in Hong Kong has gone away again :D Just got to work towards sub 75Kg over the next couple of weeks.

Stitches out on Saturday, I'll give it a couple of days after that before I slap sunscreen over the scars and ride outside in the sun again 8)
    Nil Points
  • dw300
    Nice intervals well above FTP there DW :D

Here are my latest efforts, all sweet spot stuff.

Ericcson

Monitor

Getting back into it after my 2 weeks off the bike, the extra kilo and a half I put on in Hong Kong has gone away again :D Just got to work towards sub 75Kg over the next couple of weeks.

Stitches out on Saturday, I'll give it a couple of days after that before I slap sunscreen over the scars and ride outside in the sun again 8)

That Monitor workout looks good. Awesome power output..

I bet your glad to be close to getting back on the bike. You're lucky about the sun .. it'll be another 8 months before I need sunscreen again!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • pinno
    dw300 wrote:
    dw300 wrote:

I'm not 100% sure whose problem you are trying to address here .. I feel like you're just trolling now, having posted that twice in the last 20 posts, and you're obviously not reading the thread.

Haven't you read my thesis on 1000 ways to use an Argos catalogue without buying anything thats in it ?!
    Tut tut, its a masterpiece. I am not trolling - too tall to be a troll. The problem is, I got lost on the 3rd post 'cos of the bleedin technical jargon you fellas seem to have mysteriously mastered and it seems like a lot of bother to me.

Promise not to troll anymore if you promise to lighten up a bit. :D
  • dw300 wrote:
    dw300 wrote:

Haven't you read my thesis on 1000 ways to use an Argos catalogue without buying anything thats in it ?!
    Tut tut, its a masterpiece. I am not trolling - too tall to be a troll. The problem is, I got lost on the 3rd post 'cos of the bleedin technical jargon you fellas seem to have mysteriously mastered and it seems like a lot of bother to me.

TROLL!!!
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • pinno
    dw300 wrote:
    dw300 wrote:

TROLL!!!

TROLL STALKER
  • dw300
    I'd just like to point out that the 'Revolver' workout (a sufferfest video one) really really fatigued me! I tried tempo runs the 2 days after doing it (yesterday and today), and my legs are still pretty tired. Should have worked at endurance or active recovery those 2 days, but outside I find it hard not to push on a bit .. it was sunny!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • First time I've been unable to finish a session at the required level, I ended up folding halfway through the third 20 minute interval :oops:

Eclipse

Looks like I'll have to revisit this one next week before moving on.

On the plus side, stitches out of my arm straight afterwards, so back out on the road after dunking myself in sunscreen in a few days time I think.
    Nil Points
  • First time I've been unable to finish a session at the required level, I ended up folding halfway through the third 20 minute interval :oops:

Eclipse

Looks like I'll have to revisit this one next week before moving on.

On the plus side, stitches out of my arm straight afterwards, so back out on the road after dunking myself in sunscreen in a few days time I think.

You got a 60 minute PR of 285 on that workout, very nice! 15 minute PR too!

If you're going to crack on a workout at least you did it AFTER you got a few PRs :).
  • I need my ass kicked :roll: I can't remember the last time I rode a TR W/O. 6week plan has became 9 by now and I haven't done half of it

:oops: :oops: :oops:
  • I need my ass kicked :roll:

Same here. I ran in the local 10k fun run last week and shredded my legs. Tryed to push on with week 5 of Advanced Build 2 but after 3 aborted attempts (Seven Gables, Smith and Triple Divide) I have decided to ease up and push the program back a week.
  • dw300
    Nice PRs bidave .. you other guys should be ashamed of yourselves! LOL, just kidding, you just need to talk yourself into doing it. Do an evening workout and psyche yourselves up throughout the day .. it's all up here *taps head* 8)
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • dw300 wrote:
    Nice PRs bidave .. you other guys should be ashamed of yourselves! LOL, just kidding, you just need to talk yourself into doing it. Do an evening workout and psyche yourselves up throughout the day .. it's all up here *taps head* 8)
    I discovered a phenomenon called "waterproof jacket" :lol::lol:
  • Redeemed myself this morning:

Guyat

Had to get out of the saddle for a bit during the last interval hence the drop in power but got through it :P

No PRs today.
    Nil Points