Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Turbo Training rather than getting wet - Am I a Wuss!

cmtcmt Posts: 65
Most mornings i do between 15 & 25 miles on the way into work (I go the long way round as i only work 2.2 miles from where i live), and the 20-30 miles on the way back home (both via a lot of hills as i live just outside saddleworth / Oldham)

As the weather has turned a bit censored again recently, I've been putting the miles in on the turbo (Around 18-21 miles in a morning before work) rather than getting wet then doing the normal short run into work. Dont get me wrong, i'm not just 'spinning' but putting in some serious effort, and doing intervals etc so still getting a very good workout.

My workmate ribs me about it, as he doesn't have access to a turbo so has to 'Suck it up' and get wet, which is not good fun for him as by the time its 4:30 and we are heading home he's putting on damp clothes. Getting wet on the way home is not as bad as I can get in the shower when i get in, to warm up and then put dry clothes on.

Does this make me a wuss of is it acceptable to take advantage of the fact that I have a decent Turbo Trainer to use when i dont feel like getting wet through?

Posts

  • amaferangaamaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Up to you what works best for you, but I can't bring myself to touch the turbo through the summer. I plan my training around the weather forecast. I'm in a similar position to you - direct commute is only 5 miles, but I'll usually extend that a bit in the mornings and then head off and do some proper training after work. I had a fairly heavy weekend and yesterday would have been a rest day, but since it was forecast to pee with rain all day today, I did an interval session yesterday instead and I'm resting up today with just my direct commute. The alternative would have been rest yesterday and either miserable training in the rain or on the turbo.
    More problems but still living....
  • cmtcmt Posts: 65
    amaferanga wrote:
    but I can't bring myself to touch the turbo through the summer. .

    Normally i'd agree with you, but the weather has been so bad we can hardly call it a summer :lol:
  • napoleondnapoleond Posts: 5,990
    If I want to train it has to be on the turbo. I've managed one ride outside this month. Heartbreaking in hot sunny weather.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • jgsijgsi Posts: 5,038
    Oh .. not a good story there Nap.
    What you doin' Friday morning? Forecast is clear (well for the morning at least) and I'm on day off.
  • napoleondnapoleond Posts: 5,990
    I work 7-7 shifts, my mrs works my days off.
    I'm off Friday but Mrs on a day shift so have kids.
    We get so little time together that when both home from work there's big pressure to not go out...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • jgsijgsi Posts: 5,038
    and thus get ye on the trainer ... does not make you any less of a cyclist for the OP, well not in my estimation.
    I have the entry level Sartori but it fits the bill for me.
    I can 'pretend' it is giving me ace training when used in conjunction with that other playtime site called Trainer Road.
  • amaferangaamaferanga Posts: 6,789
    cmt wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    but I can't bring myself to touch the turbo through the summer. .

    Normally i'd agree with you, but the weather has been so bad we can hardly call it a summer :lol:

    It's been a censored summer I agree, but I've still managed a good 10-15 hours of riding a week without getting wet that often.
    More problems but still living....
  • cmtcmt Posts: 65
    amaferanga wrote:
    cmt wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    but I can't bring myself to touch the turbo through the summer. .

    Normally i'd agree with you, but the weather has been so bad we can hardly call it a summer :lol:

    It's been a censored summer I agree, but I've still managed a good 10-15 hours of riding a week without getting wet that often.


    I still put in as much as i can outside, but am limited to travelling between 7am and 8am and 4:30 to 6pm. It always seems to dry up between those times and starts raining at 3:30 ish - typical!
  • Zoomer37Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Yes, a massive wuss.

    Its only rain and riding in it will tuffen you up a bit. Just get out there and go f'cking bananas.
  • bigpiklebigpikle Posts: 1,690
    its up to you...some may suggest you can get a better quality training session done on the turbo/rollers depending on what you're doing.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • cmtcmt Posts: 65
    Zoomer37 wrote:
    Yes, a massive wuss.

    Its only rain and riding in it will tuffen you up a bit. Just get out there and go f'cking bananas.

    Tuffening up aint a problem, being wet, cold and stinky all day in an office is the issue
  • cmtcmt Posts: 65
    Bigpikle wrote:
    its up to you...some may suggest you can get a better quality training session done on the turbo/rollers depending on what you're doing.


    I find that the sessions on the Turbo are more intense as there is no such thing as downhill freewheeling when on the turbo, so 20 miles feels like 40!
Sign In or Register to comment.