Turbo Training rather than getting wet - Am I a Wuss!

cmt
cmt Posts: 65
Most mornings i do between 15 & 25 miles on the way into work (I go the long way round as i only work 2.2 miles from where i live), and the 20-30 miles on the way back home (both via a lot of hills as i live just outside saddleworth / Oldham)

As the weather has turned a bit crap again recently, I've been putting the miles in on the turbo (Around 18-21 miles in a morning before work) rather than getting wet then doing the normal short run into work. Dont get me wrong, i'm not just 'spinning' but putting in some serious effort, and doing intervals etc so still getting a very good workout.

My workmate ribs me about it, as he doesn't have access to a turbo so has to 'Suck it up' and get wet, which is not good fun for him as by the time its 4:30 and we are heading home he's putting on damp clothes. Getting wet on the way home is not as bad as I can get in the shower when i get in, to warm up and then put dry clothes on.

Does this make me a wuss of is it acceptable to take advantage of the fact that I have a decent Turbo Trainer to use when i dont feel like getting wet through?

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Up to you what works best for you, but I can't bring myself to touch the turbo through the summer. I plan my training around the weather forecast. I'm in a similar position to you - direct commute is only 5 miles, but I'll usually extend that a bit in the mornings and then head off and do some proper training after work. I had a fairly heavy weekend and yesterday would have been a rest day, but since it was forecast to pee with rain all day today, I did an interval session yesterday instead and I'm resting up today with just my direct commute. The alternative would have been rest yesterday and either miserable training in the rain or on the turbo.
    More problems but still living....
  • cmt
    amaferanga wrote:
    but I can't bring myself to touch the turbo through the summer. .

Normally i'd agree with you, but the weather has been so bad we can hardly call it a summer :lol:
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    If I want to train it has to be on the turbo. I've managed one ride outside this month. Heartbreaking in hot sunny weather.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Oh .. not a good story there Nap.
    What you doin' Friday morning? Forecast is clear (well for the morning at least) and I'm on day off.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I work 7-7 shifts, my mrs works my days off.
    I'm off Friday but Mrs on a day shift so have kids.
    We get so little time together that when both home from work there's big pressure to not go out...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    and thus get ye on the trainer ... does not make you any less of a cyclist for the OP, well not in my estimation.
    I have the entry level Sartori but it fits the bill for me.
    I can 'pretend' it is giving me ace training when used in conjunction with that other playtime site called Trainer Road.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    cmt wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

Normally i'd agree with you, but the weather has been so bad we can hardly call it a summer :lol:

It's been a crap summer I agree, but I've still managed a good 10-15 hours of riding a week without getting wet that often.
    More problems but still living....
  • cmt
    amaferanga wrote:
    cmt wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

It's been a crap summer I agree, but I've still managed a good 10-15 hours of riding a week without getting wet that often.

I still put in as much as i can outside, but am limited to travelling between 7am and 8am and 4:30 to 6pm. It always seems to dry up between those times and starts raining at 3:30 ish - typical!
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Yes, a massive wuss.

Its only rain and riding in it will tuffen you up a bit. Just get out there and go f'cking bananas.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    its up to you...some may suggest you can get a better quality training session done on the turbo/rollers depending on what you're doing.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • cmt
    Zoomer37 wrote:
    Yes, a massive wuss.

Its only rain and riding in it will tuffen you up a bit. Just get out there and go f'cking bananas.

Tuffening up aint a problem, being wet, cold and stinky all day in an office is the issue
  • cmt
    Bigpikle wrote:
    its up to you...some may suggest you can get a better quality training session done on the turbo/rollers depending on what you're doing.

I find that the sessions on the Turbo are more intense as there is no such thing as downhill freewheeling when on the turbo, so 20 miles feels like 40!