Sports items lack of evidence.

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    The lack of evidence to support sport foodstuffs. Your go. Unless you can offer up some comprehensive studies supporting them, then kindly F the F off.
    You must have watched a different documentary and read a different article to me.
    Some of GSK's supplements in the Maxinutrition range contain branch chain amino acids which are found in muscle protein. The company says these amino acids "help hard-training athletes recover faster after intense exercise". The supplements sell for as much as £34 a tub
    Nutrition expert Professor Mike Lean of the University of Glasgow described what little evidence there is that certain amino acids, which form part of proteins, may improve muscle strength as "absolutely fringe evidence and I think that that is almost totally irrelevant, even at the top level of athletics".
    The program nor the article are talking about whey protein shakes - they are talking about BCAA supplements which on their own do literally cost an arm and a legHere is an example They simply are NOT the same thing as a protein shake.

Even the conclusion managed to be misleading
    Prof Lean said the market for supplements is "yet another fashion accessory for exercise… and a rather expensive way of getting a bit of milk."
    Once again it is in reference to BCAA'S not protein. And even if it was the statement is still incorrect.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    So you believe their sh*t?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    So you believe their sh*t?
    I believe you should rewatch the documentary and re-read the article.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    What?
    :roll: <- that is the only response I can give you that would not end up with me being ejected from this place and given some sort of court order for antisocial behaviour.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    What?
    :roll: <- that is the only response I can give you that would not end up with me being ejected from this place and given some sort of court order for antisocial behaviour.

start with this.
    jakjtb wrote:
    the artical at the top of the post was very interesting and has given me doubts about spending money on protein shakes.....how did you not get that?
    Protein shakes: Which neither the documentary or article particularly mentioned. They were both referring to claims made about BCAA's. A product which I agree has very little evidence to back up the claims made.

Then this
    ?
    What reason do you have to believe the marketing hype?
    There was no marketing hype about protein in either the article or documentary.
    You don't need it. There's no reason to consume your nutrients as a drink - they're already in your food, so just make sure you eat a healthy diet.
    It's baffling how many people fall for the marketing hype.
    Generally diet is sufficient but supplements have their place sometimes. Again there was no marketing hype about protein.
    I think what you mean is...
    "Sports supplement
    n.
    1.Total bollorks and fabrication by marketing departments.
    Again there was no marketing hype about protein.
    The lack of evidence to support sport foodstuffs. Your go. Unless you can offer up some comprehensive studies supporting them, then kindly F the F off.
    Lack of evidence to support BCAA's and electroytes yes. The documentary agreed that carbs during extended exercise over 2hours could have merit(let's face it we all know they do) Again the question asked was about protein and once again there was no marketing hype.

But if you consider one of the conclusions in the article
    Prof Lean said the market for supplements is "yet another fashion accessory for exercise… and a rather expensive way of getting a bit of milk."
    A bit of milk for protein Prof Lean? Or is that marketing hype too YeehaaMcgee? Is protein "marketing hype" also?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Protein shakes: Which neither the documentary or article particularly mentioned.
    They also didn't mention lizard people, so I guess David Icke must be right.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Protein shakes: Which neither the documentary or article particularly mentioned.
    I'll ask again. Is protein marketing hype?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Protein isn't marketing hype. Protein shakes/supplements ARE marketing hype.
    Just eat your food.

Now I ask of you, PROVE to me conclusively that anyone needs protein shakes, or protein supplements, rather than just eating a healthy diet.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Protein isn't marketing hype. Protein shakes/supplements ARE marketing hype.
    Just eat your food.

Now I ask of you, PROVE to me conclusively that anyone needs protein shakes, or protein supplements, rather than just eating a healthy diet.
    Please tell me where I directly said that people "need" protein shakes. I have never done anything but agree that protein intake should be via general diet,and if you absolutely have to there are ways to bulk your intake up cheaply. I even said it in this thread.

What exactly is marketing hype about protein? The fact it's in a powder you mix with water?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Oh come on, you're being pathetic now.
    The marketing hype is all the ads promoting the need for protein recovery shakes, or for protein shakes during workouts and so on.
    It's all nonsense.

It appears you don't actually have a point to any of this, so I'm leaving it here. You f***ing muppet.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Oh come on, you're being pathetic now.
    The marketing hype is all the ads promoting the need for protein recovery shakes, or for protein shakes during workouts and so on.
    It's all nonsense.

It appears you don't actually have a point to any of this, so I'm leaving it here. You f***ing muppet.
    It's not my fault you didn't understand the article - the documentary or the question that was asked.I have seen zero ads promoting protein shakes nevermind promoting "need" for them and I'm quite often in gyms.

You're absolutely right I am a pathetic fucking muppet. That's why I started insulting people on the internet... Oh actually :roll:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Actually the article clearly states, protein shakes as an expensive way of having a good glass of milk one of the best natural sources of whey protein.....

In which way didn't you read it? As Yee is right and following the article clearly. Just because you want to waste huge amounts of money thats your choice, science says meh *** Walks off muttering about bloody stupid soft sports science degrees***.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Actually the article clearly states, protein shakes as an expensive way of having a good glass of milk one of the best natural sources of whey protein.....

In which way didn't you read it? As Yee is right and following the article clearly. Just because you want to waste huge amounts of money thats your choice, science says meh *** Walks off muttering about bloody stupid soft sports science degrees***.
    Actually it doesn't,the article is talking about BCAA's as was the documentary. Not protein

Professor Lean is hilarious though.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Seriosuly, TMHNET - what the hell is your actual point?
    Are you suggesting that protein shakes are the only way to get protein? You seem to really have your chip on your shoulder about the stuff.
    It's in your godamned food anwyay.

Here's one relevant quote, since you seem unable to digest information (maybe digestion is your issue with eating?)
    Consumers could be wasting their money on sports drinks, protein shakes and high-end trainers, according to a new joint investigation by BBC Panorama and the British Medical Journal.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Are you suggesting that protein shakes are the only way to get protein? You seem to really have your chip on your shoulder about the stuff.

Here's one relevant quote, since you seem unable to digest information (maybe digestion is your issue with eating?)
    Consumers could be wasting their money on sports drinks, protein shakes and high-end trainers, according to a new joint investigation by BBC Panorama and the British Medical Journal.
    A relevant quote,in the blurb of a BBC article. L O L that's a reliable source of fact!

If you can find a post where I directly stated that protein shakes are needed or are the only way to get protein please quote it.

The rest of it appears too difficult for you to grasp.
  • YeehaaMcgee

A relevant quote,in the blurb of a BBC article. L O L that's a reliable source of fact!

If you can find a post where I directly stated that protein shakes are needed or are the only way to get protein please quote it.

I'm tired of your sh*t now.
    There was an article, and a tv programme, discussing the total lack of evidence for various "sports" products. Not only did they discuss lack of proof, they also discussed the fact that in several cases, such things could actually cause problems, or be counterproductive.
    What, precisely, is your beef with this?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t

I'm tired of your sh*t now.
    There was an article, and a tv programme, discussing the total lack of evidence for various "sports" products. Not only did they discuss lack of proof, they also discussed the fact that in several cases, such things could actually cause problems, or be counterproductive.
    What, precisely, is your beef with this?
    I've made my problem with the article and documentary quite clear on more than one occasion.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I've made my problem with the article and documentary quite clear on more than one occasion.
    No, you have not. You have moaned and thrown your dummy out of the pram, but you have not presented a reasoned counter argument to it.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    No, you have not. You have moaned and thrown your dummy out of the pram, but you have not presented a reasoned counter argument to it.
    I have but since you choose to ignore it and just call everything "marketing hype" it's pretty pointless trying to explain anything to you.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    No, you really have not made your problem with the article known, apart from rambling about branch chain amino acids not being protein.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    No, you really have not made your problem with the article known, apart from rambling about branch chain amino acids not being protein.
    Oh I have.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Sweet zombie jesus, it's like talking to a 4-year old :roll:
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Sweet zombie jesus, it's like talking to a 4-year old :roll:
    I'm really enjoying the insults. Please continue.
  • Thewaylander
    i'm with Yee you have no organised beef with the article.

And you ahve no scientific evidence to support the products you love..... stick with milk and eggs for recovery, its healthier and provides all the protein you actually need mate :)
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    i'm with Yee you have no organised beef with the article.
    I have said it multiple times, I don't think I can simplify it any more than I have those multiples of times.
    And you ahve no scientific evidence to support the products you love..... stick with milk and eggs for recovery, its healthier and provides all the protein you actually need mate :)
    I don't quite remember saying I loved anything.
  • Thewaylander
    There is no scientific evidence to prove having a protein shake is any better for recovery than having a good glass of milk. Could even have an ommlette and be more healthy.

There is no proof is our point that a protein shake will allow you to get any more into your system or imporve your recovery than using the above methods. Hence the marketing is complete fluff.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    The program was filmed and the article written to be simple enough for the ignorant and it certainly hit the target audience. Of course people pick up on buzz words like "protein" and "shake" and "expensive" it happened all over the internet within hours of broadcast and people lapped it up like kittens with milk. If you rewatch the documentary(which the article was entirely based on) you will hear this, I'll save you the trouble since I'm a nice guy.
    It's not just bodybuilders who use nutritional supplements. These protein shakes and workout boosters with scientific ingredients are now sold in gyms everywhere.

<insert foreign guy explaining why he uses protein shakes>

<Insert end of mention of protein shakes>

Some of GSK's products contain BCAA's which are found in muscle proteins. These amino acids "help hard training athletes recover faster after intense exercise" Once again the team from Oxford and the BMG looked for the science behind the claim.

They couldn't find good evidence that BCAA's boost recovery or performance yet a tub of them can set you back £34
    There is ZERO direct examination in two mentions of protein shakes in those highlighted sentences,yet it has been the first thing brought up(In this thread also). In fact Here is a link to a seller of BCAA's,the exact supplement they were talking about.

Am I promoting or defending protein shakes? Absolutely not. I do think misinformation should be corrected, since the BBC and Panorama managed to misinform the masses rather well. They did state that diet should be substantial enough,good advice but there are always exceptions.
    an expensive way to get a bit of milk
    He is still hilariously wrong though. I might get a tattoo of this.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Sigh. You know what proteins are made of?

And besides - why do you think protein shakes are so good, compared to, say, food?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Sigh. You know what proteins are made of?
    Amino acids "BCAA's" part of all proteins but also sold as expensive supplements for "34 quid"
    And besides - why do you think protein shakes are so good, compared to, say, food?
    I have never done anything but agree that food is the best source of protein. I have said that protein shakes are an option only.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    protein shakes are an option only.
    Wow, exactly the same as lucozade.