Tour de France Stage 11 *Spoiler*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,183
    Liquigas going for plan A again, wonder if they have a plan B? Can't be that hard to attack an unimpressive rider going up hill surely?
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Think it was an error for sky to let a group of this size go...

Yep. Too many options for them to now cover.
    Could be interesting.
    exercise.png
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Think sky should ease a bit as no one in front group a worry about and let any domestiques up there burn themsleves out so they will be no use for next couple of stages

I don't think they're doing that much at the moment. There were still 80 or more riders in the peloton over the top of the climb.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheStone
    Pross wrote:
    Liquigas going for plan A again, wonder if they have a plan B? Can't be that hard to attack an unimpressive rider going up hill surely?

I'm expecting Nibs to go early. Basso 3 mins up the road. Very dangerous.
    exercise.png
  • Pross
    Think it was an error for sky to let a group of this size go...

Why? They'll fall apart on the next climb and the climb after plus no-one is an immediate risk. As with yesterday they become a threat to the other riders looking to maintain their position before they become a threat to Sky. It seems that they have enough tactical sense that they are avoiding chasing everything down. I hope they pull them back though as I have Froome in PTP!
  • Pross
    EBH is no slouch on the descents is he? He's in danger of dropping his boss.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    3 leakys off the front or 4?

Strava is not Zen.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    calvjones wrote:
    3 leakys off the front or 4?
    Koren and Basso, Sagan and Oss.
  • rick_chasey
    Gustav Larsso out as well.

3 out in one day for Vaconsoleil.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    Shades of PDM.
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:
    Shades of PDM.

Might have to explain that one the younger ones like me :P.
  • rick_chasey
    Kruiswijk has crashed apparently.

Standard. The new bleeding carrots.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    andyp wrote:
    Shades of PDM.

Team wide doping misadventure PRd as stomach bug. See also T-Mobile in one of the early 2000s Vueltas.

Strava is not Zen.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    andyp wrote:
    Shades of PDM.

Mass abandon of riders from the same team on the same day, as happened to PDM in the 1991 Tour. Turned out to be a bad batch of dope.
  • rick_chasey
    Oh I thought you were referring to Liquigas tactics.

Stupidmeforthinkingchatisabouttactics :P.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    andyp wrote:
    Shades of PDM.

They were asking Kelly whether there was anything to be read into two Vacansoleil pulling out on the same day (three now), he said they were just feeling the effects of the hard racing of course... wonder if Harmon realised the incriminations of his question?
  • rick_chasey
    Valverde group 12" behind Velits and Kessiakoff. Leipheimer and Vinokourov at 32". Yellow jersey group at 2 minutes.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    TheStone wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Why dangerous?
    I would leave Basso out there to stew, he will not be much use, he is a diesel anyway how can he attack wiggo? Sagan also going to get burnt out.
    Nout sure what leaky gas tring to do they will burn out their domestiques the way they are goiong. As Rich said peleton with lots of riders left so still have lot of energey left.
  • rick_chasey
    TheStone wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Why dangerous?
    I would leave Basso out there to stew, he will not be much use, he is a diesel anyway how can he attack wiggo? Sagan also going to get burnt out.
    Nout sure what leaky gas tring to do they will burn out their domestiques the way they are goiong. As Rich said peloton with lots of riders left so still have lot of energey left.

If goes on the attack, he'll have Basso there to do some good pulling. Hopefully better than what Sagan was able to do y'day.
  • TheStone
    I would leave Basso out there to stew, he will not be much use, he is a diesel anyway how can he attack wiggo?

He kind of already has. Nibs needs to attack to bridge over. Possibly now use Sagan as a stepping stone.
    Probably won't work, but I'd be concerned if I was Sky, but did expect Nibs to go on the first descent.
    exercise.png
  • TheStone
    TheStone wrote:
    I would leave Basso out there to stew, he will not be much use, he is a diesel anyway how can he attack wiggo?

He kind of already has. Nibs needs to attack to bridge over. Possibly now use Sagan as a stepping stone.
    Probably won't work, but I'd be concerned if I was Sky, but did expect Nibs to go on the first descent.

Moot point now, as he's had a mechanical. Maybe after the Glandon, but things might be very different by then.
    exercise.png
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    TheStone wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Why dangerous?
    Nout sure what leaky gas tring to do they will burn out their domestiques the way they are goiong. As Rich said peloton with lots of riders left so still have lot of energey left.

I guess the theory would be for Nibali to attack on the Madeleine descent, get a gap then use Basso et al to pace him up the next climb. All sorts of flaws though, his domestiques don't seem to be going well enough to be that much help on the next climb which is also HC. They could help got him to the foot of the Croix de Fer then give it their all to help him on the lower slopes but after that I'm not convinced they'd be much help and there would still be a long way to go... Can't see the break staying away to the top of the CdF in its current form (might be a choice selection getting away) so I'd be surprised if Basso was still away for the descent of the Mollard (where the plan might have a bit more chance of success). In short, its too early and the gap isn't big enough.
  • oldwelshman
    I am surprised shrek is not in the break, maybe he thinks it will come back and he will attack last climb, either that or he cant be arsed. If evens does not attack today he will have no chance to win so today is the crunch day where we will see what evans and nibs have to offer either way.
    Benefits of me having maflu for a week? can sit on fat arse and watch the tour, a bit like shlek lol bad news no riding for a week
  • oldwelshman
    BigMat wrote:
    TheStone wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Why dangerous?

I guess the theory would be for Nibali to attack on the Madeleine descent, get a gap then use Basso et al to pace him up the next climb. All sorts of flaws though, his domestiques don't seem to be going well enough to be that much help on the next climb which is also HC. They could help got him to the foot of the Croix de Fer then give it their all to help him on the lower slopes but after that I'm not convinced they'd be much help and there would still be a long way to go... Can't see the break staying away to the top of the CdF in its current form (might be a choice selection getting away) so I'd be surprised if Basso was still away for the descent of the Mollard (where the plan might have a bit more chance of success). In short, its too early and the gap isn't big enough.
    :D i know the theory but like you had same conclusion , fruitless and tiring for domestiques, :D one already dropped back. I would like to see Scarponi win
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    calvjones wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Shades of PDM.

Team wide doping misadventure PRd as stomach bug. See also T-Mobile in one of the early 2000s Vueltas.

our friend Sean was affected by that stomach bug :-) I think they called it an "intralipid virus" hahah
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDM_%28cycling_team%29
    www.dotcycling.com
  • oldwelshman
    kiryenko, basso, roland, ten dam all look to be really struggling and pushing hard and still only 2:30 up, it is such a huge effort to make 2 minutes gain on these stages, some sore lges tonight i fear.
    All this talk of attacking on decents is crazy, not huge gains but huge risks, hope no one crashes,
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,578
    emadden wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Shades of PDM.

our friend Sean was affected by that stomach bug :-) I think they called it an "intralipid virus" hahah
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDM_%28cycling_team%29

Sean was having a good year that year (relative to his age). I remember being very disappointed about how unlucky he was. Ignorance was bliss.
  • rick_chasey
    Scarpo dropped.
  • oldwelshman
    forgot to mention sorrenson and martin who loks like he is chewing barbwire lol
  • rick_chasey
    Renshaw out too.

Dutch teams having fun today.... 2 out for Rabo, 3 for Vacon.