All 2013 models are 29ers?

Comments

• leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    As has been said, a lot of ranges are going 29er only for 2013.
    By 2014, they will be singlespeed only also and come with a free beard
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    leaflite wrote:
    As has been said, a lot of ranges are going 29er only for 2013.
    By 2014, they will be singlespeed only also and come with a free beard
    If its ok for Ange!
    Angelina-grows-a-beard--96729.jpg

Or

life_of_brian_allstar-5468.jpg
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    lawman wrote:
    T'is a stunning bike and how it can be better than the original I do not know, because that was just superb, and the hint of flex kinda worked for it imo. I worry that if I find one to test there may be a huge 146 shaped hole in life that the HD simply cannot fill.
    I know the feeling. I love my WolfRidge, and I keep enjoying it more and more with each ride.
    But it would be nice to have one nice lightweight machine like the 146, and keep the Wolf beefed up for bigger stuff - but I don't know if that goes against my "one bike for all" ethos.
    Still, the 146 would be nice for the 30+ mile XC jaunts.

I'm very much one bike for all rides, and I can't help but thinking everything I've done to the HD and plan to do, is pushing it so close to a 146 (which I wanted in the first place, had it not been for the shocking delivery time... :roll: ), it makes me wonder if I should say fook it and go for one! :lol:

Edit: from the feature on here, looks like pricing is similar, but an extra £250 for the fox 34 fork... stealth reverb and all... so if I did sell the HD and skimped on the booze next year at uni, could be done :lol:
  • Rankles
    Rankles Posts: 144
    I'm a bit gutted to be honest as I imagine this will be the case for at least the next two or three years.

I really wanted a camber or epic this year and being 5'8 I can't see a 29er being a sound investment. I'm sold on the science and the results but I reckon 26" or 650b is better for my size, and with good 650b parts availability still a year or so off I'm a bit annoyed that Specialized have done this, and just hope Scott and Cannondale etc don't follow suit.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Rankles wrote:
    I'm a bit gutted to be honest as I imagine this will be the case for at least the next two or three years.

I really wanted a camber or epic this year and being 5'8 I can't see a 29er being a sound investment.
    So get a 2012 one.
  • Rankles
    Rankles wrote:

I really wanted a camber or epic this year and being 5'8 I can't see a 29er being a sound investment.
    So get a 2012 one.

Kind of missing the point.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Not really. You wanted a Camber, or Epic. And you want a 26" wheel one. So get a 2012 one, which still have 26" wheels.
  • VWsurfbum
    Rankles wrote:
    and just hope Scott and Cannondale etc don't follow suit.
    Sorry they are
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Rankles
    Not really. You wanted a Camber, or Epic. And you want a 26" wheel one. So get a 2012 one, which still have 26" wheels.

If I'd wanted a 2012 one, I'd have bought one already.

My point is I don't like the idea of walking into Specialized or any bike shop and suddenly having all the top spec bikes built for other people.

Guess I might have to start looking at decent 26" frames and starting from scratch!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I don't follow, what the f*ck DO you want, then, if it's not a 2012 OR 2013 Camber or epic?
    Sounds to me like you were never going to buy a bike anyway, you're just being a whinge about it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Rankles wrote:
    If I'd wanted a 2012 one, I'd have bought one already.
    What do you think you'll get out of a 2013 model? Other than a lower bank balance compared to getting a 2012.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I don't follow, what the f*ck DO you want, then, if it's not a 2012 OR 2013 Camber or epic?
    Sounds to me like you were never going to buy a bike anyway, you're just being a whinge about it.

Delicately put as always there Yeehaa :lol:

Completely correct though.

I mean, I can appreciate waiting to see what the 2013 model are like before splashing out on a 2012 so close to the change over. But now you've seen the 2013s, and they're not what you want, and the 2012s will shortly have a (small) drop in price I can't for the life in me figure out why you wouldn't get one. It'll still be a new bike, just with a better spec than the 2013 ones and in a style you actually wanted (ie 26, not 29).
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Delicately put as always there Yeehaa :lol:
    Cheers. It's the reason why I earn a bit of extra money at the hospital, by being the one who breaks the news to parents about their child's terminal cancer.
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    Ive been putting off buying a 2012 bike, one due to cost and the other due to it just keeps pishing it down on my days off, so my biking days have been few this so called summer!!

I was after a camber and have been since they brought out the model, i ummed abit this week but the expert came down in sale so thought why not, so tuesday late night the bike was ordered!

So glad i did now, the new 2013 is 29er only, i wanted a 26er as im only short, so ive got a bargain a well specced all round bike, if i had waited im not sure i would of got a new 2013 camber.

Credit to speshi to be brave and go all in, will see if Giant do the same with the trance, or trek with the fuel ex? could be an interesting summer on the trails! all these 29ers trying to get round the switchbacks at cannock!
  • Rankles
    Wow, since when was this forum full of assholes trying to start a fight?

My point isn't that I can't buy a 2013 bike, or that I didn't want a 2012 bike. It's that for the forseeable future all new models of the top brands could be 29ers which whilst I have already said, I am fully in favour of, I am not built for. Neither are lots of riders. It's excluding people who would otherwise have the need for a top spec bike.

I'm not focusing on this year, or even next year. But if this continues what do I do in a year or so when 2012 and 2011 models are long gone?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Most bike shops I know will still have 2,3, sometimes even 4 year "old" bikes in the shop. They don't vanish from the face of the earth when their time is up (like Jehova's witnesses)
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I didn't know that Jehova's Witnesses vanished when their time was up... I find I have to shut the door.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    I didn't know that Jehova's Witnesses vanished when their time was up... I find I have to shut the door.
    Yeah, they rupture or something.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easiest way to get rid of them is take your pants off before you open the door.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Rankles wrote:

My point isn't that I can't buy a 2013 bike, or that I didn't want a 2012 bike. It's that for the forseeable future all new models of the top brands could be 29ers which whilst I have already said, I am fully in favour of, I am not built for. Neither are lots of riders. It's excluding people who would otherwise have the need for a top spec bike.

I'm not focusing on this year, or even next year. But if this continues what do I do in a year or so when 2012 and 2011 models are long gone?
    Calling yeehaa an asshole may be accurate, but it's a bit rude as well. Most of us assholes are not trying to start fights, just people who are obviously wrong assume that.

Why are you not built for a 29er? They come in different sizes, just like 26ers.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    cooldad wrote:
    Easiest way to get rid of them is take your pants off before you open the door.
    is that for the men or the women ? :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    cooldad wrote:
    Why are you not built for a 29er? They come in different sizes, just like 26ers.

Maybe there's something going on a bit like those kids toys where you have to fit the shapes in the holes, only a 26" wheel will fit.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Only selling 29ers seems a bit daft. Not everyone (including me) likes the way they ride. Until they can make a 29er which rides EXACTLY like a 26" bike I'm not buying one.
    I did see something about a new DH bike with 27.5" wheels avaliable for 2013, there must be a very limited tyre & rim choice though they do at least fit standard forks. I can't see 29" wheels working on DH bikes, the weaker wheels & extra unsprung weight from both the forks & wheels can only be bad things.
  • VWsurfbum
    Only selling 29ers seems a bit daft. Not everyone (including me) likes the way they ride. Until they can make a 29er which rides EXACTLY like a 26" bike I'm not buying one.
    I did see something about a new DH bike with 27.5" wheels avaliable for 2013, there must be a very limited tyre & rim choice though they do at least fit standard forks. I can't see 29" wheels working on DH bikes, the weaker wheels & extra unsprung weight from both the forks & wheels can only be bad things.
    News flash for you, there is other forms of mountain biking other than DH!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • cooldad
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    News flash for you, there is other forms of mountain biking other than DH!
    And I would suggest that this would defeat the object.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    there is other forms of mountain biking other than DH!

heretic!
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    The thing I find annoying about the Camber is when it was launched in 2011 it was £1250, this year it went up by 20% to £1500 and now because of another wheel size it looks like it will rise another third in price to £2000.

That's a massive 60% price increase in 2 years!
  • theblender
    theblender Posts: 201
    why do people think 29ers don't go round corners very well? Have you actually ridden one round switchbacks? If people have problems cornering on a 29er then they need to sharpen up their riding skills.

I find my 29er harder to jump/hop than a 26" bike, but it's easier up the climbs and on tarmac and fireroad, and feels the same on descents and corners, and it copes with the pump track fine too.

I sold my 146mm travel full suss bike because the 29er hardtail copes with everything just as well, but is 7lbs lighter and is generally faster.

I'm 5'8" so the "they're only for tall people" claim is bollox too.

However, I do agree that limiting choice to just 29ers is a bad thing - consumers need choice and most are grown up enough to make their own buying decisions - so bike companies, listen to us!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It does depend on the 29er - but many people do find them less agile in the tight, twisty stuff and through slow boulder fields.
  • Rankles
    cooldad wrote:
    Rankles wrote:

Calling yeehaa an asshole may be accurate, but it's a bit rude as well. Most of us assholes are not trying to start fights, just people who are obviously wrong assume that.

Swearing at me on a forum for voicing an opinion which is hardly controversial isn't cool.

29ers are shown to be beneficial to most riders, however I'm only 5'8 and it's been shown that I would actually get less of an advantage, if not slight disadvantage from riding one. 650b is supposed to be an interesting option but until there's more availability 26" is ideal. I'm now in a position that I have the money, want a top spec bike and can't buy one without feeling like I'm not getting something that's right for me.

Apparently that causes yeehaa a problem.