All 2013 models are 29ers?

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited July 2012 in MTB general
This could be just someone's typo. My LBS have listed the 2013 Hardrock on their site, and it's in the 29ers category - which, if it's in the right place, suggests Specialized UK are going all 29er for next year.
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    They were on saying alot of there ranges were going 29er...

i could find much coming from the in 26 a few months back which nearly made me rant alot.. :(
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Spesh seem to have gone even further backwards this year, even less for your money than the rip off bikes last year. If they are all 29er then it's the final nail for them in my eyes.
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    going backwards is a no no in this current market ,, they must think we have money to burn,, cheapening the bike may keep their profits up but lose them customers in the masses
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Scott are not doing any 26ers in the Genius range

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... ook-34489/

and Rose look a short.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... kes-34548/
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740

i could find much coming from the in 26 a few months back which nearly made me rant alot.. :(
    That's really hard to read, and I'm still not certain what exactly you were trying to say.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Yep. Joe Public will still buy 'em though...in their thousands!

I love Spesh bikes but you just can't recommend them any more. The specs get lower and lower each year. And it seems a lot of the top-end stuff isn't even available in Europe any more.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Spesh seem to have gone even further backwards this year, even less for your money than the rip off bikes last year. If they are all 29er then it's the final nail for them in my eyes.

Yep. Joe Public will still buy 'em though...in their thousands!

I love Spesh bikes but you just can't recommend them any more. The specs get lower and lower each year. And it seems a lot of the top-end stuff isn't even available in Europe any more.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981

That's really hard to read, and I'm still not certain what exactly you were trying to say.

Good god yes.

I understoon the first bit. After that though it's just a random bunching of words purple monkey dishwasher.
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245

Good god yes.

I understoon the first bit. After that though it's just a random bunching of words purple monkey dishwasher.

:lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Hard-Rock-Sport-Disc-2013.jpg........... HARDROCK 29ER 2013 – MOUNTAIN BIKES

"The big news for 2013 is the best-selling Hardrock range now features a 29er. The hardrock is one of the most popular bikes on the market due to its solid handling and great value for money price tag."...... :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Thewaylander
    andymc06 wrote:

Good god yes.

Cor that is bad even for me, Apologies. It was meant to say i couldn't find many 26" inch bikes in there range a few months back and it made me want to rant... sorry really tired today.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'm not that surprised, Spesh have committed to 29ers more than any other brand - no 26" Epics, or hardtails over £1000 etc, having a 29er Hardrock seems to make sense.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    andymc06 wrote:

Good god yes.

Cor that is bad even for me, apologies. It was meant to say I couldn't find many 26" inch bikes in their range a few months back and it made me want to rant... Sorry really tired today.

Just helping you out here :)
  • Thewaylander
    andymc06 wrote:

Good god yes.

Cor that is bad even for me, apologies. It was meant to say I couldn't find many 26" inch bikes in their range a few months back and it made me want to rant... Sorry really tired today.

Just helping you out here :)

Cheers, improving mind!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Going to be a split between US and European markets I reckon. US style big wide open and epic trail riding just seems to be more suited to 29ers, but I'm not convinced over here.

Though 650b may be more popular. I see no need myself for any change from 26 but then I'm not a giant. The rider size and weight likely is important on how much of an advantage the wheel size is I think.

Sums up my thoughts - http://www.opencycle.com/blogs/article/ ... 650b-vs-29

I just can't see that everything will be 29, it just can't work.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    29ers are gonna take over the 100mm or less market, 650b will be 120-140/150mm and 26 will remain 150mm+ so we might see crossovers at the 150mm range of 650b and 26"...

Personally I don't give a toss about 29ers, a mate at uni is sponsored by Niner, and his Jet9 RDO is a great looking piece of kit, don't get me wrong, but it rides like a right pig and just feels plain weird. I wouldn't mind trying a long travel 650b hardtail, that sounds like it would be pretty good, but I'm glad that whyte have stuck to 26" on the 146 for 2013, which looks even better again next year!!

whyte-146-2013.jpg

Take that Sram shit off it and add some 1 x10 Xt on there and that is the perfect all round bike!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    lawman wrote:
    whyte-146-2013.jpg

Take that Sram shoot off it and add some 1 x10 Xt on there and that is the perfect all round bike!
    Oh great. Now I have to find a clean pair of boxers. On account of having sex wee-d inside these ones.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    lawman wrote:
    whyte-146-2013.jpg

BILF
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    lawman wrote:
    whyte-146-2013.jpg

Take that Sram shoot off it and add some 1 x10 Xt on there and that is the perfect all round bike!
    I concur. tis gorgeous. all it needs is some proper sized wheels :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I'm quite glad that Whyte have stuck to that frame configuration. I know that function is more important, but I really do like the look of that quad-link setup. Shame that Marin have changed to a more traditional appearance.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A lot of this is indeed the Yanks and what they want, which has then forced the market elsewhere. The whole thing really does annoy me. 29ers may have benefits for some, so taking away the choice, especially at the budget end of the market is a bad move. I hope it backfires for these companies in the UK, just like it did for Shimano when they tried to force Rapid Rise and Dual Control upon us.

Even more annoying is that some of those who pushed the 29er as been the best there is now offer 650b: why, if 29er is the best?! Bloody marketeers, a lot of this is to just push prices up and get people to change. And for one, I am not.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Whyte are running a different suspension design on their 29" wheel full suspension range, it's a traditional 4 bar linkage.

Sadly, the 146 is their only 26" full suspension bike next year
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I'm pretty sure that, whilst 29" may not go away, it will reach a peak, then subside, just like 24" bikes did.
    Then we can all go back to moaning about the same old same old.
  • Giraffoto
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Hard-Rock-Sport-Disc-2013.jpg

Funnily enough, that's not the picture I found - mine has a white frame (If I get a moment I'll upload it and add it to this post). But anyway, it's not a typo or mistake on Leisure Wheels' site: a quick analysis of the pictures shows that the inner diameter of the new model's rims is ~592mm whereas on the 2011 model it's ~533mm, i.e., smaller
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • supersonic
    That is the spoke hole diameter, not the outer diameter.
  • Giraffoto
    edited July 2012
    I wrote:
    a quick analysis of the pictures shows that the inner diameter of the new model's rims is ~592mm whereas on the 2011 model it's ~533mm, i.e., smaller
    That is the spoke hole diameter, not the outer diameter.

Fair point, but from a close observation of the 2011 model with which I'm comparing the new one, there's no space in the rim for an extra 30mm of radius without making it tricky to get tires on. If on the other hand we assume the rims are roughly the same cross-section (not 100% guaranteed) and a not-unreasonable 15mm from inner edge to bead seat, we get a nice close match to the 622mm and 559mm which are the ISO bead seat diameters of 29er and 26" rims respectively. (Thanks to Sheldon Brown for that last bit)
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • supersonic
    Not sure I have understood you - you are comparing the 2011 29er to the 2013 29er? Or the 2011 26er, in which all seems normal as you say? (will be 559 and 622)
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    lawman wrote:
    whyte-146-2013.jpg

Oh great. Now I have to find a clean pair of boxers. On account of having sex wee-d inside these ones.

T'is a stunning bike and how it can be better than the original I do not know, because that was just superb, and the hint of flex kinda worked for it imo. I worry that if I find one to test there may be a huge 146 shaped hole in life that the HD simply cannot fill.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    I'm pretty sure that, whilst 29" may not go away, it will reach a peak, then subside, just like 24" bikes did.
    Then we can all go back to moaning about the same old same old.

First, we have to work our way through 650b.

I can tell - you can't wait.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    lawman wrote:
    T'is a stunning bike and how it can be better than the original I do not know, because that was just superb, and the hint of flex kinda worked for it imo. I worry that if I find one to test there may be a huge 146 shaped hole in life that the HD simply cannot fill.
    I know the feeling. I love my WolfRidge, and I keep enjoying it more and more with each ride.
    But it would be nice to have one nice lightweight machine like the 146, and keep the Wolf beefed up for bigger stuff - but I don't know if that goes against my "one bike for all" ethos.
    Still, the 146 would be nice for the 30+ mile XC jaunts.