Well Done Commuters

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    TBH I'm glad the commuters stay away. Look at the drivel written in that forum.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited July 2012
    Yossie wrote:

Communters? Twats, the lot of them.

oi bollicks

i commute an i also contributed to tits in small bras or what ever it was called

just because i commute doesnt make me a tw@t
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    What is your opinion on toes?
    What are they for? Really though, I mean If I need to grow a fungus I'll do it on the north side of a tree or something.. Come on evolution hurry up!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    They are very useful. I might need them if I revisit your counting thread over in the ghost forum that is now Dull Stop.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    OK, here's my tuppence.

Why I like Commuting Chat;
    CC is not about head cams and mud guards (seriously, go and look at the threads now and see how many are about helmets and RLJs) although they do come up now and then. It's not even that London Centric (FFS I live in Wales) - the reason I like to lurk there is that the demographic matches my social circle. Generally speaking the contributors are educated professional people with an interest in cycling. The conversations range from the political to the bizarre to the practical - and the wealth of knowledge and expertise is enormous (because, being professional people, most of us are experts our chosen fields). You can ask just about any question and someone will come forward with a considered and informed reply. I've even had people consult relatives or friends who are experts in an area to come back with an answer.

I also browse cake stop now and then, although admittedly much less frequently, and (as with MsMancunia) go to other specific forums for other specific expertise.

I also can understand why some were offended by the 'girls in' threads, but admittedly thought the reaction was over the top.

However, and here's the rub people, if the only real change to your forum is less 'girls in' threads - and now the forum is dying, then what does that say?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    SimonAH wrote:
    However, and here's the rub people, if the only real change to your forum is less 'girls in' threads - and now the forum is dying, then what does that say?

I get what you're saying but whats happened in reality is bizarre. Cake stop used to be a place where you could pop in see discussions on politics, norks, sport, cars, houses - in fact anything - just like sitting with your mates in a cake stop.

Debates usually ran their natural course at which point people popped in with jokes and at times the threads took some comical surreal twists.

But for some reason the modmins took all of those threads and stuck them in BB, so BB is now the old cake stop, they started moving posts from BB to CS but gave up after 13 posts - probably realising what a c0ck up they'd made. So its not that people wont go to the cake stop if there are no girls i threads - its that it actually serves no purpose except to appease the few commuters who complained initially and who now cant be arsed to visit CS.

The most obvious solution would have been to move the girls in threads to the BB and move any CS topics in there once they were flagged up. But the admins even said they didnt fancy wading through 420 pages to see which ones fitted an ill defined criteria.

And bizarrely enough given that all the posts in BB are now only viewable by logging in , and presumably therefore have passed the mods 'guidelines' for family viewing - if you bump an innocent post from years ago - it'll be removed - haha - its just a mighty joke
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    SimonAH wrote:

that there is so much moderation on BB that people dont know what they can/can't post for fear of it getting removed anyway.

There may have been some instances of things filtering into other threads but CS was supposed to be a laugh. The girls in... threads were clearly titled so if folk went in and got offended then they should have just stayed out of the thread rather than complaining.

As for the other threads then offending posts were generally removed but to make a new section that you have to log into that has more moderation than the section it came from is just confusing.
  • veronese68
    I think Cleat is right. All of the posts were moved, so the old Cake Stop was just renamed. All of the silly/fun, but innocent, threads were moved to BB as well as the ones that could have caused offence. So people wanting to join in with the jokes is forced to go to BB rather than the new style CS.
    Which surely defeats the point of the whole exercise by forcing people to go where the boobies are nearly, but not quite, visible.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Kind of a par with the Commuting General and Commuting Chat schism then. Ah well.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    rozzer32 wrote:
    The new forums are total sh1t!!

Commuters kicked up a fuss, caused our forum to be changed. Now it's modded like Germany in 1935 and the people who kicked started the whole thing (the communters) still just talk about helmet cam footage in the communting section and still don't bother with cake stop or BB.

It should just go back to the original cake stop.

AND they don't pay road tax!

Still, not as bad as the behaviour as some of those stand-up comics off the telly. Rumour has it that on occasion they don't even pay any Carr tax. ;)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    There's just no pleaseing some people. You bunch of whingers should think yourselfs lucky you have a forum to whinge on in the first place.
    I'm outta here. good bye.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    rozzer32 wrote:
    The new forums are total sh1t!!

Commuters kicked up a fuss, caused our forum to be changed. Now it's modded like Germany in 1935 and the people who kicked started the whole thing (the communters) still just talk about helmet cam footage in the communting section and still don't bother with cake stop or BB.

It should just go back to the original cake stop.

AND they don't pay road tax!

Still, not as bad as the behaviour as some of those stand-up comics off the telly. Rumour has it that on occasion they don't even pay any Carr tax. ;)

David

ooooh............ nice :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    No one anything constructive to say in response to Msmancunia's post?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110

other than why not bugger off back to commuting? :wink:
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
    byke68 wrote:
    There's just no pleaseing some people. You bunch of whingers should think yourselfs lucky you have a forum to whinge on in the first place.

Be careful not to let the door hit your ass on the way out.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    rozzer32 wrote:
    byke68 wrote:

Be careful not to let the door hit your ass on the way out.
    He never said anything about having a donkey
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    A well argued case I would say.

1st point below - I hope she had the gumption to say "come back when you have something worth picking" maybe she does too.
    2nd point below - That's something that we will probably never have to deal with, or understand fully.
    msmancunia wrote:
    I’ve had a gang of male chefs all whack their c0cks out on a table and ask which one I preferred when I was still a teenager. This kind of stuff happens a lot more often than you guys probably realise.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    daviesee wrote:

1st point below - I hope she had the gumption to say "come back when you have something worth picking" maybe she does too.
    2nd point below - That's something that we will probably never have to deal with, or understand fully.
    msmancunia wrote:
    I’ve had a gang of male chefs all whack their c0cks out on a table and ask which one I preferred when I was still a teenager. This kind of stuff happens a lot more often than you guys probably realise.

I think there were just too many words and not enough nipples for them to cope with.

And my response, as you were wondering, was to pick up a cleaver I'd just finished sharpening and ask who wanted to be first - they put them away pretty sharpish after that.

Must dash - I'm fighting the good fight against close-to-the-bone jokes about paedophilia and rape which have rather charmingly popped up in Bottom Bracket (cos if you don't like it don't read it apparently). Being a feminist internet superhero/lesbian frigid supertroll (delete as appropriate) certainly is a 24/7 job! Feel free to join in if you feel the need :mrgreen:

Mudcow - thx for the PM x
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    msmancunia wrote:
    I'm fighting the good fight

You're doing a great job pet.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • veronese68
    daviesee wrote:

msmancunia wrote:
    I agree with the above. I think she puts her point across well, she is the only one to have done so. She tells it from her perspective without getting stroppy. I think all of the nay sayers should at least give her credit for putting her head above the parapet and stating her case well. She's stuck around and is in favour of the changes, she hasn't vanished off the face of the earth like Velocestrapture, who got very angry about the whole thing, but didn't hang around for the aftermath.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Veronese68 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

msmancunia wrote:
    I agree with the above. I think she puts her point across well, she is the only one to have done so. She tells it from her perspective without getting stroppy. I think all of the nay sayers should at least give her credit for putting her head above the parapet and stating her case well. She's stuck around and is in favour of the changes, she hasn't vanished off the face of the earth like Velocestrapture, who got very angry about the whole thing, but didn't hang around for the aftermath.

Yep, have to agree there. :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    MattC59 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

msmancunia wrote:

Sorry - have to admit, I'm getting stroppy now. First day off the fags and all that. Matt - better get your tin hat on love.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • veronese68
    msmancunia wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

msmancunia wrote:

Sorry - have to admit, I'm getting stroppy now. First day off the fags and all that. Matt - better get your tin hat on love.
    I must say I wrote that before venturing into the bad jokes thread. :oops:
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Veronese68 wrote:

And she nominated Rochdale in the sh*te town thread suggesting very sound judgement...

It’ll all settle down -I think this is just what happens on forums – they’re constantly evolving and that’s what keeps it fun. When I first started lurking on the old C+ site it was suffering one of the occasional outbreaks of anarchy characterised by sex-based threads. Things eventually came to a head when the thread ‘Does Your Missus Take It Up The Ar*e’ caused great offense. A mass-debate (ooerr) covered pretty much similar ground to here, then the forum became Bikeradar, there was a mass flounce to other forums, things went quiet, things picked up, things got mucky, things got quiet, things got muckier…

Etc, etc…
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Veronese68 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

msmancunia wrote:

I think she ought to get the george medal. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    i'm struggling to understand how people cannot see that our casual acceptance of tit jokes etc has a direct link to the sort of totally unacceptable behaviour that a lot of women have to endure. In the very same way The lifelong struggle with depression and self acceptance from someone like Graham Obree is a direct extension of the usual boys club gay jokes.
    P.s i have recently started commuting and have a strange interest in mudguards, can you help?
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Next up: take your pick from Holocaust gags and 1970s style "jokes" about people with different colour skin.

Laugh a minute, innit?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364

Toes are heterosexual even if the rest of me/you/them is bent as a banana.

PS Just in the process of moving - can you put some money in my bank A/C please 'cos mark 2 is just 6 weeks away and Gerrard has been away for a while and someone down your end must have some proceeds from the sale of his personal items which you can intercept and put to a good cause. Ta.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    msmancunia wrote:
    Hi guys...

...part of?

Caroline

Dear Caroline,

I must live in a completely different world, either that or I am as green as the green hills that surround me. The chauvanism that you have experienced is heartening in that as a bloke, I have never been party to such behaviour.

However, the BR forum style is such that unlike chat rooms (which can be really hostile) is that you have the time to sit down and write/edit/delete and reconsider what you have written. Its also plainly obvious that the Girls in...whatever thread was never gong to be yours or many others cup of tea, so why click on it?
    Trawling back over cake stop threads, there was a huge diversity of subjects and different threads despite what on the surface was an apparent veering towards sexism and the objectification of women. But, you do not have to read them because it is what it says on the tin.
    I do not remember and did not see the picture in question and I think you were right to get it taken off. For example, the Girls in knitwear was fine to me but for the first woman/girl on the thread who looked all of 14/15 and as a Dad of one (soon to be 2) girls, I was uncomfortable with it. Therein lay the solution: the mods could have just deleted offensive threads or threads that received a high number of complaints without resorting to the drastic measures that they took. Now I am (and I suspect a few others too) are stuck between Cake stop and BB. I tend to post here because I know I can speak my mind whereas I would be ducking in CC because some pedantic tw@t from the PC brigade is going to jump on the slightest thing, for example:

viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12860780

...even when I fully explained the use of the word 'sensative' I was still accused of being a homophobe.
    However, we all spoke our minds and no post was deleted.
    It was a sledgehammer method of dealing with some issues and now its all up in the air because the Mods pandered to political correctness instead of simply locking a thread for a while or deleting offensive posts.
    I am sorry about some of your experiences (certainly whilst out commuting), but the more risque posts and threads seem to get more adverse attention and the whole saga has been blown out of all proportion by the actions of the mods.

Fair play to you for a decent down to earth and honest explanation of your views and the fact that you openly said that you had complained but you have to temper the predominantly male sphere with the thought that most blokes are mice and so much of the banter and sexism is nearly all provado.
    There is always the adage that sticks and stones will break my bones... etc.

Good luck and ride safely.
    Rob
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited July 2012
    msmancunia wrote:
    Hi guys
    This is my first visit to Bottom Bracket so I do hope you’ll be gentle with me. I was one of the original complainers when I agreed with DDD when it all kicked off a few months back, and when this topic reared its head in CC I thought I’d pay a visit to BB and see why it had been brought up again. I thought the more rational of you might want to hear my perspective.

As an introduction, I’m a girl. I’m a roadie. I commute to work. I cycle at weekends. I do sportives. I’ve cycled through the Atlas Mountains in Morocco. I watch the TdF and can understand it. I wear Rapha (yeah yeah, I know). I don’t have a Pashley, wear floral dresses or stick a puppy in my handlebar basket. I’m almost the same as you, apart from when I accidentally fall on my top tube it doesn’t hurt quite as much, and I need to wear a sports bra (although maybe some of you guys need them too!).

If I want to know say, the best cut of women’s shorts for women’s bums, then I’ll go to Women in MTB because they’ll give good feedback even though I don’t have a mountain bike. If I want to have a rant because some sweaty builder in a white van has slapped my @rse on my commute, I’ll go to Commuting Chat. If I want advice on what to take on a tour, I’ll go to Touring. If I want to rave about Bradley Wiggins, then I’ll go to Pro-Race. If I want a bit of an off-topic laugh, I’ll go to Cake Stop.

I stopped going to Cake Stop because it just got really full of the Girls in... threads and it stopped being relevant to me. It made me feel slightly uncomfortable having to wade through all these threads just to get to something else. It made me even more uncomfortable when a seemingly innocuously named thread was hijacked and suddenly I had some girl’s cleavage in my face on my lunch hour or a harmless thread about stereotypical women’s shopping habits that gradually turned misogynistic. And for those of you who say there wasn’t porn on the site, there was – I complained about a picture of a girl getting shafted from behind and it was taken down. So where am I supposed to go? There wasn’t a “clean” off-topic thread for roadies until the thread was split, so I came back and I like the new way – I can avoid Bottom Bracket completely.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m no shy retiring wallflower (or a lesbian, in case you were presuming I’m some Millie Tant type character). I’m just a normal girl who rides a bike. I ride it to work, I ride it at weekends, and I ride it on holidays. As I explained in the original argument, I’ve had the @rse slap twice on my commute. I’ve been flashed at four times. I’ve been locked in a walk-in fridge when I was a chef and had my erm, undercarriage groped. I’ve had a gang of male chefs all whack their c0cks out on a table and ask which one I preferred when I was still a teenager. This kind of stuff happens a lot more often than you guys probably realise. But I can hold my own and I can give it back. I don’t want to have to do it on a cycling website though. I just don’t want t!ts and @rses in my face when I’m on BR. Is that so hard to understand? Cycling is still a really male-orientated sport, although this is starting to change a little. I’d be interested to know if you welcome this, or if you see it as an exclusive blokes club that women aren’t supposed to be a part of?

Caroline

Post edited, irrational kick off. :oops: