Tour "outsiders"

13»

Comments

• ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I'd ignored Menchov but he looked extremely lean at the team presentation. Could be the dark horse.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyjr wrote:
    Only team who I can see that could do anything on their own to disprupe SKY/BMC would be Liquigas

Nah, OPQS can do it too. After all, in the classics they put pay to Sky with 1 guy

:lol:

Any team who helps Sky are mugs. Make them do everything from day 1.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    It's the Tour, not some chipper. :wink:

Plenty of teams will be working hard at the front, especially in the first week, selfishly pursuing their own self interests.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    So no one picks Frank Schleck - even on an "outsiders" thread?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,759
    Timoid. wrote:
    How could you all forget Vino?

Vuelta victor in that preposterous Vino and Kash show.

I think if he's got the right things in place he could podium. Prudhomme must be hoping to beejesus he doesn't.

I would be surprised if Vino finishes, Kash looks to be in pretty good shape. I wonder if Astana don't show up whether they will do a deal and ride for Nibali. Isn't he practically one of their own?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:

Plenty of teams will be working hard at the front, especially in the first week, selfishly pursuing their own self interests.

If it's a stage Cavendish or Greipel can win, it's a chipper
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    So no one picks Frank Schleck - even on an "outsiders" thread?
    Well he is quoted as saying he isn't fit enough to win but I've got him for KoM on another forum predictions thread. I am hoping he may pull his socks up and try for something this year and stop whining about his bro' not being there!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    K. Van Hummel.

There are plenty of good outsiders because beyond the two main contenders nobody really has a clue! Looking at the odds I think Westra offers good value.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Unless I missed something, I never noticed the names Danielson or Rogers in the Outsider possibilities.

Maybe neither are true possibilities (in his team maybe Froome before Rogers), but I think this year the chances of the second-man in any team are high – he only needs to be part of a successful breakaway, then to hold on during the subsequent mountain and TT stages – it’s happened before.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,647
    edited June 2012
    I had something good to say here but in all the frontier gibberish I forgot.

Oh yeah that was it, I remembered Bertie and Schlecklette's track stand on Ax-3-Domaines in 2010 beacuse they knew they were so much better than the rest, and how it will be a team version of that this year.

Therefore, I think the outsider who does best will be an attacker who is allowed some time when Sky and BMC dally saying "No, after you" for too long and a dangerous rider gets 4 minutes at La Planche des Belle Filles
  • STMS
    STMS Posts: 4
    I'd Prefer 9/4 Evans Dutched with the field @ 7/4. Worst scenario do your dough and Brad Wins :D
    When you're too tired to continue you fall off
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I had something good to say hear but in all the frontier gibberish I forgot.

Oh yeah that was it, I remembered Bertie and Schlecklette's track stand on Ax-3-Domaines in 2010 beacuse they knew they were so much better than the rest, and how it will be a team version of that this year.

Therefore, I think the outsider who does best will be an attacker who is allowed some time when Sky and BMC dally saying "No, after you" for too long and a dangerous rider gets 4 minutes at La Planche des Belle Filles

Everything Sky have done is the last year or so has been less 'No, after you' and more 'Out the way, we're coming through'.
    I'd expect them to take responsibility more than they really should.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    RichN95 wrote:
    I had something good to say hear but in all the frontier gibberish I forgot.

Everything Sky have done is the last year or so has been less 'No, after you' and more 'Out the way, we're coming through'.
    I'd expect them to take responsibility more than they really should.

That's my big concern for them, that they'll do too much and leave themselves shattered by week 3. I don't think it will be because of Cav, but maybe just being a little too confident in themselves.

Only one of Froome/Rogers should ride for GC. The other needs to sit up when their work is done.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Agreed. If it were possible to place such a bet I would be putting money on the fact that the best placed rider (ignoring Wiggins and Evans) has not yet been named in this thread.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

If it's a stage Cavendish or Greipel can win, it's a chipper

I really believe he is an outsider for the green jersey this year. On telly the other morning he said he'd sacrificed his edge in order to help Wiggo (and presumably increase his chances on the Box Hill sportive at the end of July).

I can't help thinking that they might have been better leaving him out (he did the Giro) and and putting in another more naturally climb orientated rider? What they've done with Cav might be a bit like trying to put a Land Rover gearbox and wheels on a Ferrari.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • paul_bhoy
    paul_bhoy Posts: 70
    On Paddy Power you can have a bet without the big 2(Evans and Wiggins), some decent value to be had especially if you bet each way

Tommy V 150-1
    Basso 100-1
    Danielson 100-1

I've backed Brajkovic at 20-1
    The beer always wins