Tour "outsiders"

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited June 2012 in Pro race
Ok, so lets assume Wiggins or Evans don't win.

Who will?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    No one seems to be talking about Hesjedal

Surely he's in with a chance...
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    This is the least outsider-friendly Tour for years as one or other of Evans & Wiggo might fall off but probably not both.

Coppel if he gets to the end of a mountain stage in a break might go top 6.

But win? Menchov if he can b arsed/not too old. Ditto Leip & Klodi, but very doubtful.

VdB could finish top 3, but top 5 more likely.

The most likely in the absence of the top 2 may well be Froome!

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    No one seems to be talking about Hesjedal

Surely he's in with a chance...

Not with this route, and not with the TT he displayed in the Giro.

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones
    :D Perennial Tommy D of course

Strava is not Zen.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Nibs.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Porte? Decent TTer isnt he? But if Wiggo went out early on, would SKy become more Cav-focused and leave the GCers to fight for themselves?
  • Samu Sanchez? not going to suffer too much on the TT's and would drop most of the other guys on atleast a few climbs.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I think the one person who can beat Wiggins and Evans, as opposed to them failing, is Robert Gesink. I don't expect it to happen though. Van den Broeck is my actual pick as the best of the rest.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Froome if he's on his Vuelta form ? No idea if he is mind you.
  • cougie wrote:

Who was he beating in that race though? Bit of a chipper field wasn't it?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    He beat Wiggins, Nibali and Van Den Broeck, amongst others.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    calvjones wrote:
    This is the least outsider-friendly Tour for years as one or other of Evans & Wiggo might fall off but probably not both.

Coppel if he gets to the end of a mountain stage in a break might go top 6.

But win? Menchov if he can b arsed/not too old. Ditto Leip & Klodi, but very doubtful.

VdB could finish top 3, but top 5 more likely.

The most likely in the absence of the top 2 may well be Froome!
    I don't see any scenario where any of the obvious second tier riders Nibal, Leipheimer, Kloden, Hesjedal, etc. can win unless, as you say, both Evans and Wiggins have a fall or some major disaster. The only other way I can see one of those two not winning is if someone gains enough time in a break, manages to hang on in the mountains a la Voekler and turns in the time trial of his life. But to be given that kind of freedom they would have to be completely under the radar and they would need BMC and Sky to make a serious mis-calculation. The more I write, the more I realise just how unlikely a scenario that is but, hey, one can dream.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    cougie wrote:

Wiggins...
  • petemadoc
    MrTapir wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Wiggins...

lol
  • rick_chasey
    How many of the outsiders have won a GT?

I count two. Nibs and Menchov.

Menchov's too old and dog shite, so you've got to go for Nibs.

Edit: I guess 3 with Hej. But he'll be shagged, like Contador was.
  • Coming back from injury though, don't really rate Van Den Broeck. Don't get me wrong 2nd in any GT is good but just can't see him beating some of the better GT riders in the Tour
  • rick_chasey
    Coming back from injury though, don't really rate Van Den Broeck. Don't get me wrong 2nd in any GT is good but just can't see him beating some of the better GT riders in the Tour

He's quite aggressive in the mountains and can TT. Sort of.

His attacks usually fall short since he's not good enough yet, but he could be good.

Jelle is good support too.
  • rick_chasey
    How many of the outsiders have won a GT?

I count two. Nibs and Menchov.

Menchov's too old and dog shite, so you've got to go for Nibs.

Edit: I guess 3 with Hej. But he'll be shagged, like Contador was.

OK 4 - didn't know Basso was riding.

Same reason to count out as Hej.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Cobo and Valverde have both won GTs too, Rick.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    In the event of Wiggins having a mishap then Rogers, Porte or Froome could slot in (assuming the mishap occurred before any meaningful stages where those three may have been sacrificed). Of the others I would say Gesink. If Frank is bluffing with his comments about being leader and attacks on a mountain stage leaving the others looking at each other to chase then he could do something but there are too many ifs in that for it to be considered seriously! Realistically you are looking at a strong TT rider who can hold on in the hills - Vande Velde may fit that profile?
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:

:roll:

OK 6. They're both spanish dogshite.

Sorry, am a little disrracted.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    But one of the two favourites hasn't won a GT (or even runner-up) ;)
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    I think Hesjedal represents far better value with the bookies than Twiggo. Brad is 13/10 for the win, Hesjedal is 66/1. So I've had a cheeky e/w punt on him. It's a long way to Paris.

Anyway, Pantani did the double in '98. ;-)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited June 2012
    Levi. Please no. But he is in with a shout. Consistent, good form, good TT. Only issue is where he can put time into the top two...if they have a crash/mechanical/defaillance maybe.

Gesink can actually TT pretty well. And on form he would put time into Wiggins. Same for VDB as well. Both have an attacking mentality. Nibali of course has a good shout - depends on whether he has top form in the TT. But the descents could play into his hands for a bunch of seconds. You cant discount Scarponi and Sanchez either. Peraud for AG2R could be in for a shout of a podo. Gesink has a very strong team and you could see three Rabos in the top ten. Cant forget Valverde. And why not Westra - super strong TT and is not slow-coach in the mountains (2nd Paris Nice this year).

To be honest there are a lot of 2nd/3rd tier riders who have an attacking streak. Could be good fun, although there isnt exactly room for them to attack much.

Personally I wouldnt be surprised if Wiggins will beat them all in the TTs AND the mountains.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    How could you all forget Vino?

Vuelta victor in that preposterous Vino and Kash show.

I think if he's got the right things in place he could podium. Prudhomme must be hoping to beejesus he doesn't.

Others I will keep my eye on will be Tony Martin and Steven Kruijswijk (how the heck do you pronounce that). The later is my absolute dark horse for the Tour.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    andyp wrote:

Even Scarponi. Or Vinokourov...

I expect van den Broeck to do well.
  • petemadoc
    Personally I wouldnt be surprised if Wiggins will beat them all in the TTs AND the mountains.

It may not be super exciting to watch but I really hope this happens.

I actually quite like seeing all the big riders slowly getting dropped one by one, the pain and despair on the faces as they slip away. Can't see Wiggins dropping Evans or Frank if they're on form though.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,503
    I backed Cobo on Betfair at 950. He is one of three riders in the race, I believe, who won the last GT they raced.
  • rick_chasey
    I am officially rubbish today.

Ignore anything I write.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Horner.

Gonna destroy these European Cry Babies.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!