Lidl Bike Stand £29.99 from 5th July

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I have some questions. Why is this supposedly such a good deal at £29.99 ? What are they normally? or is it more that Lidl only sell them AT ALL every so often so grab it while you can?

The legs look like they get in the way, would it not be better to go for something like the below to just wall mount it and have nothing in the way on the floor?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... RK:MESE:IT

These ebay HOME MECHANIC Jim Menzies stands are the same as the Lidl ones. Their (ebay) wall and bench mounted stands use the same clamp and arm etc just with a plate - check out the HOME MECHANIC floor standing (this is their original model)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOME-MECHANIC ... 230d2a53af

its the same as LIDLs and everything bar the plate is the same on floor, wall and bench mounted version.

The way I see it -

Buying from LIDL just now saves £4.76 on cost and £5.00 on postage plus you get it now and if anything goes wrong you can take it back to the shop (not post it - think of the postage costs and the pain of packaging one of these brutes if returning to ebay seller !) .

Floor standing gives you infinite options on where you work on the bike (e.g. if its wet and my missus is out = the lounge with the TV on, if its dry and not doing a dirty job = the deck, if doing a dirty job like cleaning = on the street over a drain, if its wet and missus is in = in the garage etc etc)

PS - once it's folded its not taking much space at all.

PPS - I should get commision on these things :wink:

They're not the same! The one's Lidl are selling now have quick release clamps all round and the design is improved to stop the jaw clamp rotating on the pole. There are other minor differences, e.g. the rubber feet and telescopic rod are different. The new ones have a different brand marked on them - i.e. not Crivit. Having used the old one for almost 2 years now, I can safely say these stands are great value and extremely well built. The new ones are even better!

UK_73012_02_v.jpg
  • I stand corrected bobones :oops: - thanks - I did my research on this a while ago when I missed previous LIDL offers and found the e-bay ones but I did miss the differences between the two that you flag up. Totally agree now though that the LIDL one is indeed better (and cheaper so result there :D )

PS - Am I the only one who had a problem with the length of the bolt on lower QR cam - mine was a bit too long and was catching the cam lever as it swung shut ?

Just asking out of interest really as I screwed a spare nut on the end of the bolt to act as a spacer and it works fine now (actually looks a bit better IMO as the end of the bolt sits flush with the plastic!)
  • bobones wrote:
    I have some questions...
    These ebay HOME MECHANIC Jim Menzies stands are the same as the Lidl ones ...

They're not the same! The one's Lidl are selling now have quick release clamps all round and the design is improved to stop the jaw clamp rotating on the pole.
    UK_73012_02_v.jpg

PPS - Bet that is why these models don't seem to have the problem that andy reported with his (previous LIDL design I am sure he said) where the front end drops if the bike is clamped via seatpost.
  • Looking forward to giving mine some use this weekend!
  • bobones
    PS - Am I the only one who had a problem with the length of the bolt on lower QR cam - mine was a bit too long and was catching the cam lever as it swung shut ?

Just asking out of interest really as I screwed a spare nut on the end of the bolt to act as a spacer and it works fine now (actually looks a bit better IMO as the end of the bolt sits flush with the plastic!)
    I had a quick look last night and I couldn't see the problem you mention: bolt looks the correct length and clamp tightens as expected. In any case, you don't really need to tighten that one if the legs are fully extended out.
  • bobones wrote:
    I had a quick look last night and I couldn't see the problem you mention: bolt looks the correct length and clamp tightens as expected. In any case, you don't really need to tighten that one if the legs are fully extended out.

Cheers - Interesting to know as I didn't want to take mine back as otherwise it is fine, it was easily sorted and I kinda wondered if maybe they were all the same anyway - Guess whoever assembled mine just picked up the wrong bolt to use at that point in the line.
  • bobones
    bobones wrote:
    I have some questions...
    These ebay HOME MECHANIC Jim Menzies stands are the same as the Lidl ones ...

They're not the same! The one's Lidl are selling now have quick release clamps all round and the design is improved to stop the jaw clamp rotating on the pole.
    UK_73012_02_v.jpg

PPS - Bet that is why these models don't seem to have the problem that andy reported with his (previous LIDL design I am sure he said) where the front end drops if the bike is clamped via seatpost.

The problem with the old one was that both the clamp and the fixing to the vertical pole could rotate. Now the horizontal pole has a channel that the clamp slots into preventing the clamp part from rotatating. The bike can still be rotated at the vertical fixing, where it's supposed to, and should hold in position if the screw nut is done up tight enough. In some cases there still might not be enough friction to stop unintentional rotation, but the instructions allude to the fact that the bike should be supported near its centre (of gravity).
  • I bought one of these yesterday and tried it out last night. It is very sturdy and stable. The clamps are all fully adjustable and does a perfectly adequate job for a bargain price.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_32414.htm
  • nkg197
    nkg197 Posts: 18
    Are these suitable for clamping to a carbon frame? Would I have to take any special precautions?
    thanks
  • The main clamp pressure is fully adjustable using the wing nut underneath. I can't see any problem using with a carbon frame.
  • nkg197
    nkg197 wrote:
    Are these suitable for clamping to a carbon frame? Would I have to take any special precautions?
    thanks
    I've just read the beginning of the thread :oops: - is everyone happy that it's safe to use this to clamp to the seatpost but avoid clamping the frame???
    thanks again
  • scazzer
    scazzer Posts: 254
    Woo hoooooo,just picked 1 up from Pemberton shop with 2 left :P ....

cant wait give it ago now,never been so eager to clean my bike :D
  • bobones
    nkg197 wrote:
    nkg197 wrote:
    thanks
    I've just read the beginning of the thread :oops: - is everyone happy that it's safe to use this to clamp to the seatpost but avoid clamping the frame???
    thanks again

Clamping to the seat post is fine if it works for you. It might cause the workstand to rotate because of the weight distribution of the bike. I would just balance the bike on the clamp by the top tube and set the clamping force to be gentle enough not to crush the bike frame. Once you hear a crack, just back off a half turn.
  • al56
    al56 Posts: 1
    Hello , just bought one today in Plymouth and cycled home 8 miles with it strapped to my back :) . It is very well made ,the feet splay out quite wide so no problems with tipping over.I have had my full sus Marin on it for a once over and it is a good peice of kit. I like the clamps and quick releases they are all oversized and easy to use. It seem infinitely adjustable for height angle etc. You could take ages saying , this is not exactly in the right place or that is not right on it and that can be said of most things. For the money it is very good value and I for one am well impressed by it`s construction , I think if you treat it properly it should serve most home cycle mechanics very well, for cleaning , lubing to total rebuilds jobs it`s ideal. I have put pipe foam in the clamps when my bikes go in it just for my own piece of mind.The good thing with Lidl is they are very good on returns and this is covered for 3 years. Well pleased , worth the £29.99 and probably a bit more if it was a brand name selling it .
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    It's nice to hear that they've changed the design slightly to address the rotating issue with the previous years model (mine) :(

Next time LIDL get them in I think I'll get myself one and try and sell mine on. Unless I can source the newer parts on eBay.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • andy46 wrote:
    Next time LIDL get them in I think I'll get myself one and try and sell mine on. Unless I can source the newer parts on eBay.

Bet they've still got them in the Bishop Auk store (along from Sainsbury's) Andy they had 15 yesterday when I bought mine. If you contacted the manufacturers though maybe you could buy the new cam QRs (bet they fit in the same holes as the old grip nuts did. If you want details let me know and I will dig the box out (its still in the recycing bag) and presumably has contacts for the manufacturer printed on it somewhere.

PS - Lovely weather round here eh :shock: - hopefully get out tommorow forecast says quite nice once the early fog clears.
  • nkg197
    Just picked mine up - still over a dozen left in Melksham Lidl this afternoon!
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    edited July 2012
    delete double post
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    edited July 2012
    delete double post
  • bobones wrote:
    nkg197 wrote:
    nkg197 wrote:
    thanks
    thanks again

Clamping to the seat post is fine if it works for you. It might cause the workstand to rotate because of the weight distribution of the bike. I would just balance the bike on the clamp by the top tube and set the clamping force to be gentle enough not to crush the bike frame. Once you hear a crack, just back off a half turn.

:lol::lol: Once you hear a crack start weeping and do a search on Workshop for that guy who works in the motor body repair place that swears he can repair Carbon Frames :shock: !
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Got mine this morning from Bristol Southmead on the way to work. The bloke in front of me was getting one leaving circa 8 left at 0815 this morning.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • Just picked one up from the Old Kent Road, London store..

They must have had about 15 left.
  • clunkychunky
    clunkychunky Posts: 178
    how are these with carbon frames / seat posts?

anyone had any issues with them?

how do they compare with the ribble £55 stand?
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000

cheers
  • amd-sco
    amd-sco Posts: 94
    Used mine on my carbon framed Moda no issues - frame clamp is adjustable so I was just fairly precise.
    ‘There is No Try. There is only Do. Or do not.’
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    how are these with carbon frames / seat posts?

anyone had any issues with them?

i have bought one today (must have been about 25 left in my local lidl).
    anyway, got it set up and its not bad. HOWEVER, i dont like the clamp at all. find that even when clamped tight (or as tight as im brave enough to tighten to on a carbon frame) the bike still wobbles and isn't as stable as i had hoped (even with the extendable arm holding the bars to stop the front wheel swinging).

anyone else found this?

overall for the money its ok, but think i will be returning it and going for a more stable workstand.
  • Mine is fine - assuming yours isn't broken in some way have you checked that the legs are fully expanded as wide as they go, are locked at the QR and the feet are folded down and on a stable even base?

Failing that can't think what it could be unless you were unlucky and got a duff one!
  • redvision
    Mine is fine - assuming yours isn't broken in some way have you checked that the legs are fully expanded as wide as they go, are locked at the QR and the feet are folded down and on a stable even base?

Failing that can't think what it could be unless you were unlucky and got a duff one!

might have figured it out....realised that my top tube narrows towards the seatpost :oops:

when you clamp yours does the top of the clamp wobble a little?? or is it solid?
  • I would never clamp my bike by the top-tube (and mines Al!) - top tubes just aren't designed to take that kind of compression force. Always clamp by the seat post because they are. Even a carbon post will be designed to take the forces of being clamped into the frame (see earlier posts in this thread for alternatives if worried about a carbon post) My top-tube tapers as well ( Secteur) and so if I did clamp it there I am sure it would wobble. I know the pic on the box shows the top tube clamped but there is no way I would do it and I have never seen a bike shop do it.

Get a spare bit of pipe lagging (that grey stuff you get in b&q etc to insulate water pipes) and cut a bit long enough to wrap around the seat post and clamp it from there ( the pipe lagging protects the seat post from any superficial damage from the blue plastic stuff on the clamp). Make sure the wheel that tightens to hold the pole that mounts the clamp horizontaly on the vertical pole of the stand is tight and it is stable.

Hope this helps.
  • redvision
    I would never clamp my bike by the top-tube (and mines Al!) - top tubes just aren't designed to take that kind of compression force. Always clamp by the seat post because they are. Even a carbon post will be designed to take the forces of being clamped into the frame (see earlier posts in this thread for alternatives if worried about a carbon post) My top-tube tapers as well ( Secteur) and so if I did clamp it there I am sure it would wobble. I know the pic on the box shows the top tube clamped but there is no way I would do it and I have never seen a bike shop do it.

Get a spare bit of pipe lagging (that grey stuff you get in b&q etc to insulate water pipes) and cut a bit long enough to wrap around the seat post and clamp it from there ( the pipe lagging protects the seat post from any superficial damage from the blue plastic stuff on the clamp). Make sure the wheel that tightens to hold the pole that mounts the clamp horizontaly on the vertical pole of the stand is tight and it is stable.

Hope this helps.

thanks for your reply.

my seatpost isnt actually long enough to fit in the clamp, hence why i was using top tube.

my lbs only ever clamps bikes on the top tube, so i assumed it would be ok??