Lidl Bike Stand £29.99 from 5th July

Comments

• Got mine, lovely stuff, but am concerned about crushing the hose to the rear brake as it runs under the top tube. Am I being a wuss or is this a real issue. I cant clamp the seat post as its a dropper.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • I cant clamp the seat post as its a dropper.

What does its a dropper mean?
  • I cant clamp the seat post as its a dropper.

What does its a dropper mean?

Oops sorry all, this thread cam via the search, i assumed it was in the MTB section. :oops: But to answer the question, a dropper adds about a pound of weight to the bike and removes about £250 from you bank account and would be utterly useless on the road!

But I am looking at road bikes at the mo, so might come back and play in area soon! :D
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • I have some questions. Why is this supposedly such a good deal at £29.99 ? What are they normally? or is it more that Lidl only sell them AT ALL every so often so grab it while you can?

The legs look like they get in the way, would it not be better to go for something like the below to just wall mount it and have nothing in the way on the floor?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... RK:MESE:IT
  • I have some questions. Why is this supposedly such a good deal at £29.99 ? What are they normally? or is it more that Lidl only sell them AT ALL every so often so grab it while you can?

The legs look like they get in the way, would it not be better to go for something like the below to just wall mount it and have nothing in the way on the floor?

1). From what I've seen a comparable stand would normally cost more elsewhere.

2). Correct, Lidl only sell them occassionally.

3). Horses for courses I guess, depends what you want. Though a wall mounted stand wouldn't let you go outside and work on your bike in the glorious sunshine we're having (today). Plus you'd need an area of wall clear large enough to a llow a bike to be mounted on it. In my garage they are like rocking horse sh!t.
  • The £25 wall mount one above comes with two plates so you can mount the plates in two locations, say one inside and one out. Then the head you can leave in a draw or somewhere and just slide onto the wall plate when you want to use it. I can just see that Lidl stand (the floor standing one) taking up a vast area ALL THE TIME even when not in use.

EDIT: Ok so it folds away. Fair enough.
  • The £25 wall mount one above comes with two plates so you can mount the plates in two locations, say one inside and one out. Then the head you can leave in a draw or somewhere and just slide onto the wall plate when you want to use it. I can just see that Lidl stand (the floor standing one) taking up a vast area ALL THE TIME even when not in use.

EDIT: Ok so it folds away. Fair enough.

I forgot to mention that. :D
  • lol
    For me, I'd prefer the wall mount and it's £5 cheaper, however, the Lidl one comes with an arm that you can clamp to hold the bars straight ahead which I bet would come in useful. In fact, come to think of it, would you not want that quite a lot when working on the front end otherwise it's going to move around constant when adjusting brakes/shifters or anything like that?
  • lol
    For me, I'd prefer the wall mount and it's £5 cheaper, however, the Lidl one comes with an arm that you can clamp to hold the bars straight ahead which I bet would come in useful. In fact, come to think of it, would you not want that quite a lot when working on the front end otherwise it's going to move around constant when adjusting brakes/shifters or anything like that?

It would definitely be useful.

I'm hoping to pick one of the Lidl ones up tonight if there are any left.

What I think might be quite good about a floor mounted stand is that virtually all of the other side of the bike is accessible just by walking around the stand. This wouldn't be possible on a wall-mounted stand.
  • Very true. Okay, okay. I'm sold already!! ;)
    I bet they will be all gone at my local. Will go and try later, but it will be much later sadly.
  • Very true. Okay, okay. I'm sold already!! ;)
    I bet they will be all gone at my local. Will go and try later, but it will be much later sadly.

Whereabouts are you?

There might be someone on here willing to grab you one if they're local.
  • It's ok I just remembered my Mum lives near one:

Me: Mum do you fancy a quick trip to Lidl?
    Mum: I can do...why? What do you want?
    Me: A bike workshop stand. It's £29.99 and will be sold out by tonight.
    Mum: Is it in a box?
    Me: Probably.
    Mum: Can I lift it?
    Me: It's about 8kg.
    Mum: ??
    Me: Yeah you can lift that Mum.
    Mum: Ok I'll go and have a look for you now.
    Me: Thanks etc
  • Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    It's ok I just remembered my Mum lives near one:

Me: Mum do you fancy a quick trip to Lidl?
    Mum: I can do...why? What do you want?
    Me: A bike workshop stand. It's £29.99 and will be sold out by tonight.
    Mum: Is it in a box?
    Me: Probably.
    Mum: Can I lift it?
    Me: It's about 8kg.
    Mum: ??
    Me: Yeah you can lift that Mum.
    Mum: Ok I'll go and have a look for you now.
    Me: Thanks etc

This is exactly what I just did, it's on its way to me now! :mrgreen:

These ebay HOME MECHANIC Jim Menzies stands are the same as the Lidl ones. Their (ebay) wall and bench mounted stands use the same clamp and arm etc just with a plate - check out the HOME MECHANIC floor standing (this is their original model)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOME-MECHANIC ... 230d2a53af

its the same as LIDLs and everything bar the plate is the same on floor, wall and bench mounted version.

The way I see it -

Buying from LIDL just now saves £4.76 on cost and £5.00 on postage plus you get it now and if anything goes wrong you can take it back to the shop (not post it - think of the postage costs and the pain of packaging one of these brutes if returning to ebay seller !) .

Floor standing gives you infinite options on where you work on the bike (e.g. if its wet and my missus is out = the lounge with the TV on, if its dry and not doing a dirty job = the deck, if doing a dirty job like cleaning = on the street over a drain, if its wet and missus is in = in the garage etc etc)

PS - once it's folded its not taking much space at all.

PPS - I should get commision on these things :wink:
  • haha. Lounge floor with TV on....liking that one. My mum has got me one! Sorted.
  • haha. Lounge floor with TV on....liking that one. My mum has got me one! Sorted.

good old mum (is she any good at cleaning chains and indexing gears by any chance?)
  • jamesyp21
    jamesyp21 Posts: 36
    I'm waiting on news from my girlfriend if she has managed to get one in Oxford!

None of you are in Oxford stealing the one for me are you?!
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Just picked up one of these from their Lochee store in Dundee, they had at least 12 or so left at 3pm today. Looks s decent buy for 30 flaps! :D
  • Flexisurfer
    Flexisurfer Posts: 249
    I bought one this morning and have christened it already. I can't believe the the price to be honest, really impressed.
  • Just picked up the last one from Brettell Lane in Stourbridge!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Bought mine this morning. There were about a dozen left. Quite happy with it.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • jamesyp21
    jamesyp21 Posts: 36
    Got mine from Oxford shop this evening. As of 7pm there were about 20 left. I am disproportionately chuffed! I've been waiting for lidl to do these for ages.
  • You do realise none of us now have any excuse for even the tiniest spot of dirt on our bikes :!: :shock:
  • amd-sco
    amd-sco Posts: 94
    Got one from Hawick - used it to adjust rear mech & canti toe in on crosser - can't fault it, love the magnetic tray, top notch bit of kit.
    ‘There is No Try. There is only Do. Or do not.’
  • scazzer
    scazzer Posts: 254
    Arrrrrrgh only just seen this post,any 1 NW,Wigan,St Helens,L,pool area know if they have any left??..
  • houndlegs
    houndlegs Posts: 267
    Got myself one today, spent a very pleasant hour or so in the garden this evening playing with the front mech and washing and lubing and generally potching about, well impressed.
    I also got that excited when in the shop :D , I bought a couple of pairs of the tights/shorts but not tried them yet, but for 8 sheets I thought I'd give it a whirl.
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    scazzer wrote:
    Arrrrrrgh only just seen this post,any 1 NW,Wigan,St Helens,L,pool area know if they have any left??..

preston store (strand road) had around a dozen this afternoon - maybe worth ringing them see if any left? They may reserve one? Or don't lidl work like that? theres another lidl in preston as well where cycling stuff sells slower (new hall lane I think)
  • scazzer
    scazzer Posts: 254
    xixang wrote:
    scazzer wrote:

preston store (strand road) had around a dozen this afternoon - maybe worth ringing them see if any left? They may reserve one? Or don't lidl work like that? theres another lidl in preston as well where cycling stuff sells slower (new hall lane I think)

thx xixang,will give them a call 1st thing tomorrow see if they got any left n try get em to hold 1 back if i can,
    fed up getting sore back cleaning damn bike with all this crap weather now :lol:
  • Bedford (St Peters St) still had 5 left after I bought one at about 8pm Thurs - so should still have stock Fri morning
  • ineedalager
    ineedalager Posts: 374
    I got one from the one of the Swindon stores at 8:15 am Thursday the 5th. 2 other guys bought them while I was there. There was about a dozen left. Interesting 3 mile bike ride home at first I carried it under one arm with the box resting on the handlebars. The box is 3ft plus long. Then I rested the back of the box on the cross bar and wrapped my cable lock around it and locked it to the cross bar with the front on the habdlebars, I was on my MTB. I rode home like John Wayne cause the box is wide! :D it didn't half make my legs ache riding with them splayed out like that! :D

It didn't take long to put it together great bit of kit my advice take the car to pickup as it's long and heavy to carry! :oops: