New to the Tour de France/Cycling? Click here

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Crozza wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    How are some riders already the winner before the final stage? Surely if they fall off and do not complete then they lose? I am sure when Wiggins won it said the final stage didn't matter, he had already one and it was more of a procession.
    Their not officially the winner, because certain mishaps that you mention can happen. But its so unlikely that while they are not technically the winner yet - they more or less are.
    It's like a football team being 5-0 up with five minutes to play. They haven't actually won the game yet, but effectively they have.

This is a great analogy, I hadn't thought of it like that before.

In the case of the Tour de France, shouldn't the analogy would be "a football team being 5-0 up with five minutes to play, and the other team not allowed to try to score"
    Who says the yellow jersey's main rivals are not allowed to attack him? There's no such unwritten rule. It's just in almost all cases futile. Zoetemelk attacked Hinault once on the last day, great stage that turned out to be. If there would be a 3 second gap between first and second, there would be plenty of attacking
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    Is there a good source for finding out what races are being shown live on TV in the UK?
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • If you've got Sky, type "c" in the search function and it brings up any mention of cycling.

Including old stuff that you can get On Demand, and StreetCycle, or something, hosted by Nicole Cooke and featuring a portable velodrome.

There's also a thread about Eurosport cycling, that has links to broadcast info
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    If you don't have the interactive box the search isn't as good. Search for "Live cycling" as well as cycling as it doesn't come up with the live ones when you search for cycling alone for some reason!
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    Thanks for those responses.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    FJS wrote:
    Who says the yellow jersey's main rivals are not allowed to attack him? There's no such unwritten rule. It's just in almost all cases futile. Zoetemelk attacked Hinault once on the last day, great stage that turned out to be. If there would be a 3 second gap between first and second, there would be plenty of attacking
    I doubt we'd see attacks even if there was 3 secs. The final stage of choice in recent years in the Tour is designed NOT to be raced. Too short and too flat and too important for sprinters for even 3 secs to be a realistic gain.

Mr 2nd place in GC cannot get away from ALL the sprinters teams on a short flat course - and the sprinters teams will of course drag yellow along with them. The only way yellow is going to switch on the last day is failure to finish I'd say.

In all the years of the flat stage finish in Paris I think only 3 or 4 have not ended in a bunch sprint - and GC was not in doubt amongst the riders concerned.

A stage which is "guaranteed" to end in a bunch sprint is the only surefire way to ensure the Paris showcase ends on a highpoint. We all remember the Lemond, Fignon classic TT but can you imagine how dull 99% of Paris TT's would be?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • lukebennett
    lukebennett Posts: 52
    Hi,

I'm relatively new to cycling, have never done any club cycling or races but I've been watching giro d'italia recently and noticed there's been a lot of riders falling and slipping to the ground. And was wondering how this was happening so often?

Thanks,

Luke
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    It doesn't normally happen so often everywhere, but Italian roads are known to be sometimes particularly slippery in the wet, especially in the South where it does not rain that often. Some explain it because of different type of tarmac used, others because all the dust and oil built up over longer dry periods creates a soapy mix on the roads when it rains.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jeB9_VmkNc
  • luke5495
    luke5495 Posts: 16
    FJS wrote:
    It doesn't normally happen so often everywhere, but Italian roads are known to be sometimes particularly slippery in the wet, especially in the South where it does not rain that often. Some explain it because of different type of tarmac used, others because all the dust and oil built up over longer dry periods creates a soapy mix on the roads when it rains.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jeB9_VmkNc

Thanks for the reply, :), I was only wondering because I don't seem to be slipping everywhere when i'm cycling, haha, I thought perhaps they might have super smooth tyres or something, or because they were travelling really fast, or just being knocked funny in the peleton. Thanks for clearing it up though, learn something new everyday :)
  • gazman428
    gazman428 Posts: 111
    Do the teams carry spare bikes for all their riders or just the most important members of their team and the others have a common spare??

How much difference time wise is their between their TT bikes and a normal road bike?

Thanks
  • Paul 8v
    They will only have dedicated spares for the top riders as far as I know.

The TT and road bikes difference depends on the course, that's why on a very hilly TT you will sometimes see them swap over. TT bikes aren't good for climbs but should be a fair bit faster on the flat.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    Do races get stopped for thunder and lightning?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Daz555
    Do races get stopped for thunder and lightning?
    Race can get stopped for safety reasons, yes.
  • Daz555
    gazman428 wrote:
    Do the teams carry spare bikes for all their riders or just the most important members of their team and the others have a common spare??
    Loads of spare kit - Sky are bringing more than 50 bikes to the Tour for example.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Daz555 wrote:
    gazman428 wrote:
    Loads of spare kit - Sky are bringing more than 50 bikes to the Tour for example.
    ...but stupidly only one GC contender :twisted:
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • img_87
    img_87 Posts: 60
    Why do they announce the final podium positions before the last stage?

Surely something could happen which could change it around, no?
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,639
    It's so rare as to almost never happen.

Only time the top 10 changed positions in Paris in about 20 years was 2005 when Vinokourov attacked and moved up a couple of (tightly packed) positions with the time bonus he got for winning the stage.
  • Paul 8v
    Does anyone know how many times the Champs Elysees has been won from a breakaway?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Does anyone know how many times the Champs Elysees has been won from a breakaway?
    1977, 1978, 1979, 1987 and 1994.

(Some would include Vinokourov in 2005, but that was a breakaway of less than 3km)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Paul 8v
    Ah thanks Rich, I'll check out YouTube for those years
  • tailwindhome
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
  • hanshotfirst
    hanshotfirst Posts: 373
    Hi all, newbie here, first post n' that.

Started cycling 2 years ago, got into the tour last summer and tried to catch most of the spring classics this year. I'm pretty hooked! Been following the forum since the start of the year as well trying to get the experts perspective on what's actually going on.

My question for you today - what are "Echelons" ??

Seem to see you guys going Joe Bananas whenever they happen and have no idea what's going on.

Cheers!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614

Started cycling 2 years ago, got into the tour last summer and tried to catch most of the spring classics this year. I'm pretty hooked! Been following the forum since the start of the year as well trying to get the experts perspective on what's actually going on.

Seem to see you guys going Joe Bananas whenever they happen and have no idea what's going on.

Cheers!

I was going to post an explication but this says it best http://www.inthegc.com/2012/08/echelons-what-are-they.html
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558

Cheers!

I was going to post an explication but this says it best http://www.inthegc.com/2012/08/echelons-what-are-they.html

And this is why the forum goes on about ECHELONS: viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12931563&p=18429802
  • takethehighroad

Cheers!

And this is why the forum goes on about ECHELONS: viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12931563&p=18429802

Haha I remember that day like it was yesterday (when in fact it's the equivalent day of the day after tomorrow 2 years ago)
  • hanshotfirst
    Cheers for that guys, spot on!
  • takethehighroad
    Been following the forum since the start of the year as well trying to get the experts perspective on what's actually going on.

I've just noticed this part. Are you suggesting we're NOT the experts?!?!?!
  • hanshotfirst
    Been following the forum since the start of the year as well trying to get the experts perspective on what's actually going on.

I've just noticed this part. Are you suggesting we're NOT the experts?!?!?!

Nah mate, quite the opposite. Watch the cycling on the box, at some point I'll innevitably not have a clue as to what's going on, come here for explanation.
  • hanshotfirst
    While we're at it, thought of another one - what is 'The Queen Stage' in a given race?