Tour Gear

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited June 2012 in Pro race
The new Giro Air Attack apparently to be worn by Garmin-Barracuda and Rabobank at the Tour, according to VeloNews.
Quote from BR article:
helmet design that can supposedly save riders up to 17 seconds over 40km of racing compared to the company's latest Aeon model.

Giro_AirAttack_H_WhtSlvr_34.jpeg
Giro_AirAttackShield_H_WhtSlvr_34.jpeg
Giro_AirAttackShield_H_WhtSlvrAlt_34.jpeg

Renshaw wearing it at the Ster

sprint_kittel_renshaw_600.jpg

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Looks like something out of the 80s.

greg-lemond.jpg

lemond_lg.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,183
    It doesn't look like something I'd want on my head for 5 hours if temperatures get into the high 20s! I seem to recall Cav at the Giro (I think) changing his helmet in the last few kms for something more aero but less vented. I was surprised at there being enough benefit to warrant a change when riding in a group and only seeing the wind for 300m! Presumably he should have been DQd as at some point in the change over he would have been riding without a helmet ;)
  • Are you sure he changed. He normally wears the aero helmet the whole day.

That new Giro helmet looks like a BMX helmet.
  • Pross
    The commentators said he changed, I think they quoted a tweet from Chris Sutton mentioning the power increase in response to people asking why he changed helmets mid race. Maybe it was a particularly hot day so wanted the vents for most of the race?
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Pross wrote:
    It doesn't look like something I'd want on my head for 5 hours if temperatures get into the high 20s! I seem to recall Cav at the Giro (I think) changing his helmet in the last few kms for something more aero but less vented. I was surprised at there being enough benefit to warrant a change when riding in a group and only seeing the wind for 300m! Presumably he should have been DQd as at some point in the change over he would have been riding without a helmet ;)

Read something that it saves you a massive 16 seconds over 40km or something like that. Also in relation to heat - it is meant to be as cool as not wearing a helmet - apparently it sits over the top of your head and air funnels in underneath it, the aeon which is the air channelling one is cooler than not wearing a helmet.

Seems like marketing nonsense to me though...
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    It may save you all that time, but it looks gash. Therefore, it deserves to fail.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    It may save you all that time, but it looks gash. Therefore, it deserves to fail.

10 points to this man.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133

+1
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Agreed, not my cuppa at all.
  • rick_chasey
    If you need a helmet like that to win, you don't deserve to win.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Good god we re a bunch of wankers sometimes are nt we...?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:

What's your point?

I say my point above about more or less every innovation.

It's obviously bull - add it all up and it's probably significant.
  • Pross
    mroli wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Read something that it saves you a massive 16 seconds over 40km or something like that. Also in relation to heat - it is meant to be as cool as not wearing a helmet - apparently it sits over the top of your head and air funnels in underneath it, the aeon which is the air channelling one is cooler than not wearing a helmet.

If that 16 secs over 40km has any proof behind it I would assume it is based on riding solo where aerodynamics make a big difference. In the last 40km of a race a rider like Cav will be behind others for 99% of the time and will often be freewheeling in the slipstream, an aero helmet will therefore give very little benefit in a bunch situation as far as I can see. So I agree on the marketing BS point!
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

What's your point?

What this?

Team Sky would be flipped then....
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    looks no worse than "normal" helmets

what's more actually looks as thou it may protect one's head
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

What's your point?

What this?

Team Sky would be flipped then....

Yeah.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Pross wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    Pross wrote:

If that 16 secs over 40km has any proof behind it I would assume it is based on riding solo where aerodynamics make a big difference. In the last 40km of a race a rider like Cav will be behind others for 99% of the time and will often be freewheeling in the slipstream, an aero helmet will therefore give very little benefit in a bunch situation as far as I can see. So I agree on the marketing BS point!

That's what I was thinking. Unless you are going to wear it in a TT (which a pro wouldn't) then I imagine the difference would be the square root of naff all. In return you get to look like an idiot and have a very hot head.

The benefit of using it in the bunch would be pretty much impossible to quantify as would depend on the size of the bunch, where you rode in it, the average speed of said bunch etc etc.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • disgruntledgoat
    It looks like the Tuff Top my dad bought me aged 9
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I guess they'd want to be as aero as possible in a sprint at 70+kph
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    JonGinge wrote:

ah so that's the reason ... got it now
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • disgruntledgoat
    josame wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Not much good for the average punter though eh?

@gietvangent
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    josame wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Not much good for the average punter though eh?

Speak for yourself ! :lol:
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I think Brailsford once said about the Secret Squirrel club, that the true worth it had for his riders wasn't the fact that they gained massive advantages from the technology and innovation, but that the riders were sat there on the starting line either knowing that they had the very best kit available, or that they thought they were already a couple of seconds up on their opposition, therefore mentally they were in a winning mindset.

And that the opposition were sat there thinking - oh my god. Why don't I have an aero this or that, or why hasn't my bike got this or that and were at an immediate disadvantge.

The helmet progression thing is just the next step from the closable vents or the one piece moulds that everyone wears. I did a TT in RP last year and some bloke had cling-filmed up his helmet to make it more "aero". I didn't have the heart to tell him that it had come loose and was flapping around behind his head....
  • rick_chasey
    mroli wrote:

I did a TT in RP last year and some bloke had cling-filmed up his helmet to make it more "aero". I didn't have the heart to tell him that it had come loose and was flapping around behind his head....
    :lol::lol:

No. Way.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    The body operates more effectively when kept cool. The effect of overheating through use of a lid like this would probably negate the aero advantage.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Just playing devils advocate, but does anybody think that company such as Giro haven't done sufficient R&D, which probably included feedback from several sports persons, in coming up with this helmet?
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • ddraver
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    Just playing devils advocate, but does anybody think that company such as Giro haven't done sufficient R&D, which probably included feedback from several sports persons, in coming up with this helmet?

Nah! If the Pro Race forum says so it MUST be right! Just is innit!
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    FoldingJoe wrote:

It's not like these helmets haven't been around for a while.

My helmet when I was 5 looked just like that.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Not sold on helmets in general and it does look hot but to me it looks better than this

Stefan-Schumacher-001.jpg
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    FoldingJoe wrote:

It's not like these helmets haven't been around for a while.

My helmet when I was 5 looked just like that.

Did you parents take you to the Doctor's about it? Probably some sort of lack of blood flow if it was white. :);)

Seriously, I'm sure the difference between your helmet from 18years ago(?) and this one is like chalk and cheese, Rick.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807