TdF Teams

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Garmin-Barracuda for TdF: Farrar, Vande Velde, Martin, Danielson, Hesjedal, Hunter, Millar, Vansummeren and Zabriskie
    So who is in line to be the annual Garmin surprise GC rider? Zabriskie?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    In all seriosuness if Cav has an eye on the Olympics it could be Farrar!

Well, no actually, it couldnt. Head hung in shame!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Garmin-Barracuda for TdF: Farrar, Vande Velde, Martin, Danielson, Hesjedal, Hunter, Millar, Vansummeren and Zabriskie

If Hej can put in a performance after the Giro, I guess it'd be him again.

Danielso.... :lol: Sorry. Couldn't keep a straight face.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Earlier in the year Vaughters suggested it would be Talansky, which must be a challenger for worst ever punditry.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Astana's Tour squad: Vinokourov, Brajkovič, Bozič, Fofonov, Grivko, M Iglinskiy, Kashechkin, Kessiakoff + Kiserlovski
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    DeadCalm wrote:

If Hej can put in a performance after the Giro, I guess it'd be him again.

Danielso.... :lol: Sorry. Couldn't keep a straight face.
    Hesjedal wouldn't be that much of a surprise though and Danielson was that rider last year with his 8th place. Vande Velde is also probably out of the running due to his 2008 showing.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Astana's Tour squad: Vinokourov, Brajkovič, Bozič, Fofonov, Grivko, M Iglinskiy, Kashechkin, Kessiakoff + Kiserlovski

Fair do's to Vino. I didn't think I'd see him on a bike again after last year, but here he is, lining up for the biggest race in the world again.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    Timoid. wrote:

Fair do's to Vino. I didn't think I'd see him on a bike again after last year, but here he is, lining up for the biggest race in the world again.

Doesn't really count when it's not his blood pumping around his body.
  • timoid.
    Timoid. wrote:

Doesn't really count when it's not his blood pumping around his body.

Hmmm. Judging by the fact that he was dropped on railway bridges in the Dauphine, I'm pretty sure it will be his blood he'll be using.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Vino and Kash have made up now?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Astana look like a strong team in need of a backable leader. Maybe Vino can pimp them out to the highest bidder.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    edit
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    How Dutch does she look?!

Hah!
  • timoid.
    RichN95 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Earlier in the year Vaughters suggested it would be Talansky, which must be a challenger for worst ever punditry.

Not sure why they didn't bring Talansky. Still younger that Radioshack though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,184
    How Dutch does she look?!

Hah!

I was staying in a hotel on Monday and some KLM cabin crew got in the lift. She looks like their less attractive sister! I was fantasising about becoming involved in the plot of a 'Dutch' film with them!!
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Ian-Stannard-of-Team-Sky--007.jpg

Bonus geek points if you can name the race and winner
  • timoid.
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Kuurne Brussels Kuurne 2010. Can you believe he's 23 years old in that picture?
  • timoid.
    Timoid. wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Kuurne Brussels Kuurne 2010. Can you believe he's 23 years old in that picture?

Bobbie Traksel won it
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    To be fair, he was almost frozen to death in that picture!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    That was a great race. Conditions so bad that Roger Hammond (maybe Jez Hunt) pulled out with about 30k to go when on for a top 5 finish. Brutal.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    afx237vi wrote:
    To be fair, he was almost frozen to death in that picture!
    I remember watching it that day on Sporza and in the podium tent after the race he looked the coldest I think I've ever seen a cyclist.

EDIT: sadly you don't see him at the end, but man was it grim weather that day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtURgQvi-eU
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Saxobank team:

Juan José Haedo (Arg), Jonathan Cantwell (Aus), Nick Nuyens (Bel), Chris Anker Sørensen (Den), Nicki Sørensen (Den), Michael Mørkøv (Den), Anders Lund (Den), Karsten Kroon (Ned) and Sergio Paulinho (Por).

I mean - they don't have a GT rider in there, but there MUST be a stage or two in that lot?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    Their only realistic chance of a stage win will come from a breakaway, so whilst they've some good riders with a pedigree of winning breakaway stages, they'll be competing with 10 other teams with the same plan. I'd expect, if past races are anything to go by, breakaways succeeding on 5 or 6 stages at most?
  • rick_chasey
    mroli wrote:
    Saxobank team:

Juan José Haedo (Arg), Jonathan Cantwell (Aus), Nick Nuyens (Bel), Chris Anker Sørensen (Den), Nicki Sørensen (Den), Michael Mørkøv (Den), Anders Lund (Den), Karsten Kroon (Ned) and Sergio Paulinho (Por).

I mean - they don't have a GT rider in there, but there MUST be a stage or two in that lot?

They'll be pleased Nuyens is back.

Not that he'll do anything, but he's the only name in that team that's won something exciting.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Bit harsh - Haedo, both Sorensens, Paulinho and Kroon all previous GT stage winners.

Better team than I thought Saxo would put out...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Riis:

"We will bring JJ for the sprints, and we have some trusted helpers around him,” said Riis. “In Chris we have a rider with the potential to really influence the mountain stages and maybe he is even a guy to watch for the mountain jersey.”

“We are entering this year's Tour de France with our eyes set on stage wins and with the aim to make an impact on the race, and I'm convinced that this is possible,” Riis said. “We have tried to put together a group of riders that will enable us to open up possibilities, and I believe we have found a great mix of experience, aggressiveness and different competencies.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    mroli wrote:
    Bit harsh - Haedo, both Sorensens, Paulinho and Kroon all previous GT stage winners.

How many victories have they had so far this season?

Three, two of which came in the Tour of Taiwan.

A Tour stage win would help save their season but the odds are stacked against them given how poor they've been this year.
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:
    mroli wrote:

A Tour stage win would help save their season but the odds are stacked against them given how poor they've been this year.
    They'll win the Vuelta.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    andyp wrote:
    mroli wrote:

They'll win the Vuelta.

Won't get them any WT points though will it? Plus, do sponsors really care about the Vuelta? It's all about the Tour isn't it. A stage win in the tour probably gets more real media coverage that winning the Vuelta overall.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)