Job advice - what to do

13»

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    edited June 2012
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I HAVE DECIDED

Job B. My son needs a house with a garden and £10K or £600 a month is too much to sensibly walk away from as I strive to give him that. I also benefit from having a structured 9-5 and will be able to spend more time with him. So I do a job I don't like to the best of my ability because the end result makes him smile. People have sold themselves for far less to achieve the same thing.
    Just as long as the dislike of that job doesn't lead you to be so miserable all your son remembers is playing in that garden himself cause Dad is too depressed.

Remember one of those things your son needs is you.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Well done. Do not underestimate the joy of a structured 9-5 when you have a young family. The pleasure of seeing your kid every morning and evening is a huge benefit.
    Wimbledon Hill was a killer when I was a kid, doesn't seem so bad now. Have they levelled it off a bit?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    2 Jobs

Job A: Working in the private sector, permanent, working from home, £500 a month less than Job B (below) though this is being made up in the package I'm being offered. Tis a different job than what I've been doing but closely related. The experience would be beneficial to my career.

Job B: Exactly the same job I'm doing now, 12 month fixed-term contract, closer to home, same direction as lil'un's nursery and pays a couple hundred more. The experience would be beneficial to my career.

I don't know what to do. I feel like my life is at a junction. If I take Job B I can progress in the NHS. If I take Job A I would have worked in all three industries (private, public and charity) and have entered the business development arena.

Discuss.
    DDD,

This is your future-self, yep this is one of those moments when you wish you could speak to your older wiser self and your older wiser self wishes he could advise his younger more naive self. A paradoxical-motherfucka is what we call them. See, I am you!

You should have gone for Job A mate, or is that you should go for Job A? Whatever, if there is one Internet shared by the entire multiverse or a reality where the passage of time on the Internet is not linear then there is at least one reality where a DDD takes this advice.

From my perspective Job A would have been an adventure and you know how you get excited about adventures. Sure, Job A probably would have gone sour but it would have been a new sour, one you've never before tasted.

Job B does give you the opportunity to drop the lil'un ('sprocket' - see I am you) off at nursery and you absolutely love it, highlight of the week that is. The way he smiles when you're there to pick him up touches your soul in a way you never thought it could. He warms you.

However, the rest of it, even right down to the commute on the bicycle? It's as frustrating as sh*tting-a-brick or trying to eat your own head. Look, you won't understand this now but listen, even though your higher brain functions believe in liberalism your base personality is very much the UKIPy side of Conservatism. You belong in the private sector. Also start saving so you can sell even more Erotic Items Online, you're gonna love doing that!

I sure hope you pick Job A.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I HAVE DECIDED

Job B. My son needs a house with a garden and £10K or £600 a month is too much to sensibly walk away from as I strive to give him that. I also benefit from having a structured 9-5 and will be able to spend more time with him. So I do a job I don't like to the best of my ability because the end result makes him smile. People have sold themselves for far less to achieve the same thing.

Job A. Was right job at the wrong time in my life. It was complete fluke, I turned up to the interview and was told that (i) the job I applied wouldn't be enough for me. (ii) another job I could do wasn't right for me. (iii) they would create a job for me because they felt I was the right person.

I wonder what my life will be like go forward having turned that bad boy down. I wonder whether in the years to come I look back and tell my son never to take the decision I did.

Oh well the money is good. There was no commuting to be had with Job A. With this one, I turn left coming out of my house and BAM Wimbledon Hill (which isn't pleasent to walk up let alone ride) and onwards to Ealing.

Still might change my mind, I have to the end of today to do so....
    Damn it, me!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Admit it, its just because you can't hack Wimbledon Hill isn't it?!
  • This is your future-self

Wait! If you're really him, how many fingers is he about to hold up? :?
  • DonDaddyD
    BigMat wrote:
    Admit it, its just because you can't hack Wimbledon Hill isn't it?!
    I won't lie after Wednesday it isn't appealing, no.
    Food Chain number = 4

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    The problem is you'll never know what would have happened had you taken the other job. For all you know, you could have been a divorced, homeless, smack addict by now if you'd gone with Job A!
  • Kudos for the honesty. We can and should learn far, far more from our mistakes than from our successes.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    I think future DDD is going to have to explain a lot to present DDD.

On the plus side you two can have a good chuckle at past DDD.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    coulda woulda shoulda

You have your path. Walk on it and make the best of the steps you tread.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • coulda woulda shoulda

You have your path. Walk on it and make the best of the steps you tread.

Please ignore KB. You have a bike. Keep off the path. Keep on pedaling (even if sometimes you need to back pedal a bit :wink: )
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • DonDaddyD
    KB has got a point and at the moment one has to take stock of the fact that they are employed. The trick now is to make the most of it or keep the head down until its feasible to jump ship with the rats.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    MJF01 wrote:
    Oh dear me! What a load of "look at me, look at me", self-aggrandising nonsense.

That's 10 mins of my life I'll never get back.

Meh!

Seems like you didn't have much else to do with that 10 mins
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    MJF01 wrote:
    Oh dear me! What a load of "look at me, look at me", self-aggrandising nonsense.

That's 10 mins of my life I'll never get back.

Meh!

Seems like you didn't have much else to do with that 10 mins

Quickly deleted :roll:
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • DonDaddyD
    I think there is a new Mod called Ninja, he/she deleted my entire thread addressing this before I had the time to edit it.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Kieran_Burns
    For the record I RTMd that post. Looked too much like a duplicate troll account.

Also: my comment was in no way meant to be disparaging or negative.

I was simply pointing out that you make a decision and you live with the consequences. I actually think resurrecting this thread creates an interesting discussion point.

"If onlys" trap you in a cycle and it's very hard to break out. You learn from what you've done, you should not be doomed to dwell on or repeat them.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • DonDaddyD
    I completely agree with you KB. There will be a part of me that wishes I took Job A, there is another part of me that realises that the grass is always greener and Job A could have been an absolute nightmare. But there is a bigger part of me that still would have liked to try.

What I need to do now is make the most of the cards been dealt me, play the best hand possible and try and take this pot.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Kieran_Burns
    Perhaps leaving hackneyed clichés along with the regrets would be a good first move? :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • DonDaddyD
    But I like that one.
    Food Chain number = 4

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Yes, all sorts could have happened. You'll never know. I once turned down a job, I wondered what could have happened. Turns out the place got bought out and shut down 10 months after I chose not to take the job and relocate. Pretty pleased with my decision now, I could have been left high and dry.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    So that's what's been up with you, DDD. I knew something was up. Having worked in the same office for 11 years, I would point out that there are peaks and troughs, so just because it isn't everything you've ever dreamed of now, doesn't mean it won't be better in future.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    If you can't deal with the consequences of choices you make about your life now, you're going to be really messed up when you realise the impact of all the choices you make for your son.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    If you can't deal with the consequences of choices you make about your life now, you're going to be really messed up when you realise the impact of all the choices you make for your son.

Think you might be jumping to conclusions there - he just said that the job wasn't what he hoped it would be. That's quite a leap from there to "can't deal with the consequences of choices you make".
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    rjsterry wrote:

Think you might be jumping to conclusions there - he just said that the job wasn't what he hoped it would be. That's quite a leap from there to "can't deal with the consequences of choices you make".

I think you might be jumping too. It was MTFU in another guise.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Sometimes it's not the decisions you make that turn out to be for the best, but the ones that are taken out of your hands. If I had been given the choice to stay at my previous employer 2 years ago, rather than being transferred to the county council, I wouldn't have the ace job I have now (OK, the commute to Manchester sucks, but the rest of the job is good).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)