Job advice - what to do

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
2 Jobs

Job A: Working in the private sector, permanent, working from home, £500 a month less than Job B (below) though this is being made up in the package I'm being offered. Tis a different job than what I've been doing but closely related. The experience would be beneficial to my career.

Job B: Exactly the same job I'm doing now, 12 month fixed-term contract, closer to home, same direction as lil'un's nursery and pays a couple hundred more. The experience would be beneficial to my career.

I don't know what to do. I feel like my life is at a junction. If I take Job B I can progress in the NHS. If I take Job A I would have worked in all three industries (private, public and charity) and have entered the business development arena.

Discuss.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    500 clams a month less is a whole lotta clams though

just think how many comics that could buy.....
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Job A - Do you really think you could get the work done instead of posting here/coffee/TV/nice day bike ride etc, etc?
    Working from home needs strict discipline.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    how interesting/enjoyable are you likely to find the work itself in each job?

Would be a big factor if it were my decision ....
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Do you see yourself working in the NHS in 5-10 years time?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    dont say doing his wife dont say doing his wife dont say doing his wife...

"doing your... son"
  • DonDaddyD
    I enjoy Job B and it is what I know. It is what I fell upon. Engagement, events, getting people involved, hands-on round table discussions... I've been doing Job B for the past 6 years minus 12months of a charity based hiccup.

Job A is the one I exepcted to do once I left Uni. Business development, identifying new business, b2b, b2c sales and chasing a bonus at the expense of any moral decency. Wearing a Next suit and shirt, brief case, brogues, no-tie as that's my thing. Presentations. The guy said "we're blue skying here" in the interview. I felt I was finally with my people!

Miss DDD wants Job B. What I failed to reveal is that 500 gold coins equates around £10K.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Take a risk.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • daviesee
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ..... The guy said "we're blue skying here" in the interview. I felt I was finally with my people!

I would have been walking out at that point. People who talk bullshit are usually bullshitters :x
  • DonDaddyD
    I see myself working in Business Development/Marketing in 5-10years time. Hopefully less of the engagement stuff.

The NHS variation is actually quite interesting.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    You need to decide where you want to go career wise.

What opportunities would job A open up for you - and how realistic is it that you'll be able to use those opportunities? Are those opportunities worth sacrificing further progression where you are now, as well as (significant) short term financial upside?

Similarly, how many doors would taking either shut - and are you comfortable with those doors being shut?
  • DonDaddyD
    daviesee wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ..... The guy said "we're blue skying here" in the interview. I felt I was finally with my people!

I would have been walking out at that point. People who talk bullshit are usually bullshitters :x
    But that's my job "bullshit, bullshit, bullshit".

That's business/marketing - frankly it's all bullshit and the skill is getting people to believe and/or buy into it through the use of carefully selected language.
    Food Chain number = 4

• daviesee
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    But that's my job "bullshit, bullshit, bullshit".

That's business/marketing - frankly it's all bullshit and the skill is getting people to believe and/or buy into it through the use of carefully selected language.
    Sounds perfect for you then! :lol:
    Bear in mind that he has already convinced you that a pay cut is a good idea. He may well have covered you in the brown stuff already :wink:
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I enjoy Job B and it is what I know. It is what I fell upon. Engagement, events, getting people involved, hands-on round table discussions... I've been doing Job B for the past 6 years minus 12months of a charity based hiccup.

reading a little between lines this sounds like:

"i HAVE enjoyed job b over the past 6 years but am starting to stagnate and wont enjoy this type of work forver"

maybe im misreading the 'between the lines' but if im not u gotta take the other one
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • DonDaddyD
    iclestu wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

reading a little between lines this sounds like:

"i HAVE enjoyed job b over the past 6 years but am starting to stagnate and wont enjoy this type of work forver"

maybe im misreading the 'between the lines' but if im not u gotta take the other one
    This probably is nail hitting head. The thing is Job B is working in the team I wanted to work in all along and by doing it for 12months, the next job or even that job full time would be decidedly different.

The other one is a risk, if I can't hit targets, they'll get rid. If I struggle to work from home, they'll get rid. Work after 6 months could also dry up and they'll get rid.
    Food Chain number = 4

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    daviesee wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I'd forgive them if they were dancing to a certain ELO track. Unlikely though.
    DDD sounds like you want A, but B is the safe option. Is Mrs DDD back at work? If A dried up could you survive until you got something else?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    is there an Option C? non of the above?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Can't believe no-one's said 'pick the one with the furthest commute and get on with it'. What's BR coming to? Woman's Own Agony Aunt columns?

Money's not everything (not when you've got a pile of it stashed away anyway) - doing the job that pushes you, challenges you & motivates you is a much better career option than one that pays a bit more but leaves you spending a lifetime wishing you'd followed your preferred option instead of grabbing a bit more dosh. and how long will you be on 500 quid a month less? Presumably there'll be a catch-up over time where you get back to what you're used to.

Buy the Di2 now, then take the job you clearly want.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    How can B be closer to home if A is working from home!?! :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    FoldingJoe wrote:
    How can B be closer to home if A is working from home!?! :)
    Me? I dunno - it's not as i read these things properly. :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    LOL.

Very true. Closer to home to where I'm working now. Sorry.

I just don't know. I wouldn't be unhappy with Job B, in fact, it is a step sideways and marginally up.

Job A is a risk. What if I can't do it. Or the punters are just not buying or it really just is sales and nothing more.

I bought 4 £4 scratch cards to help me deal with the stress. I won £12.
    Food Chain number = 4

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    2 Jobs

Job A: Working in the private sector, permanent, working from home, £500 a month less than Job B (below) though this is being made up in the package I'm being offered. Tis a different job than what I've been doing but closely related. The experience would be beneficial to my career.

Job B: Exactly the same job I'm doing now, 12 month fixed-term contract, closer to home, same direction as lil'un's nursery and pays a couple hundred more. The experience would be beneficial to my career.

I don't know what to do. I feel like my life is at a junction. If I take Job B I can progress in the NHS. If I take Job A I would have worked in all three industries (private, public and charity) and have entered the business development arena.

Discuss.

Taking everything into account, including the conversations you've participated into before (which I've read - and I can't always be bothered to read them), you need to do Job B.

Why? Sprog. Do Job A later when sprog reaches school and then continue to do the school run with them.

More financially secure
    More time with sprog
    Only box is doesn't tick is your career one, but which is more important - you or the kid?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Sounds like job A has the opportunity to earn more than job B if you do well, though? Am I right?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    won't somebody think of the children?
  • DonDaddyD
    Taking everything into account, including the conversations you've participated into before (which I've read - and I can't always be bothered to read them), you need to do Job B.

Why? Sprog. Do Job A later when sprog reaches school and then continue to do the school run with them.

More financially secure
    More time with sprog
    Only box is doesn't tick is your career one, but which is more important - you or the kid?
    That's something my Uncle said to me about this. My Dad - who had me at 20 - said the complete opposite.

Job B would give me 12 months of financial heaven. Ms DDD goes back to work soon and the increase in pay would cover my half of the nursery bills. But that's 12 months and after 12 months I could well and truly find myself in the job, out of work or with a promotion within the NHS depending on the experience I gain.

Job A in discription looks like the gamble but is in fact permanent - assuming I have the testicular fortitude to attack it and do it well.

Both jobs would benefit my career in different ways. If we just take face value and not what comes next. Job A is permanent but paying (OTE not included) £10k less than Job B. Job B, however, is only for 12 months.
    Food Chain number = 4

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DonDaddyD wrote:

More financially secure
    More time with sprog
    That's something my Uncle said to me about this. My Dad - who had me at 20 - said the complete opposite.

Job B would give me 12 months of financial heaven. Ms DDD goes back to work soon and the increase in pay would cover my half of the nursery bills. But that's 12 months and after 12 months I could well and truly find myself in the job, out of work or with a promotion within the NHS depending on the experience I gain.

Job A in discription looks like the gamble but is in fact permanent - assuming I have the testicular fortitude to attack it and do it well.

Both jobs would benefit my career in different ways. If we just take face value and not what comes next. Job A is permanent but paying (OTE not included) £10k less than Job B. Job B, however, is only for 12 months.

With a junior - you need the cash now. I would do job A. Make sure that you get an ongoing contract renewal - I know a few people that took on 3 month contracts and are still in the same company 3 years later.....earning allot of cash!
  • veronese68
    gtvlusso wrote:
    With a junior - you need the cash now.
    And for the next 25 years.
  • cyclingprop
    DonDaddyD wrote:

More financially secure
    More time with sprog

And what is it you'll be selling?! ;)
  • veronese68
    And what is it you'll be selling?! ;)
    <dramatic music> His soul!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961
    What do you mean when you talk about the overall package? Bonus or the pension you'll never get?

Also, is this a situation where they have offered you something at the bottom of a pay scale? If so, it might not bode well for the longer term. If they want you and if they can, you would hope to see at least some acknowledgement of swinging pay cut and some attempt to soften the blow.

On the other hand, 12 months is the blink of an eye and the stress of counting down the pay cheques is not to be underestimated. Additionally, in terms of your career, "not now" can turn into 5 years or never before you know it. The longer you leave it the harder a career change will be.

On balance, if you can afford to, I would take the plunge. If you want to be in this job eventually you are better off getting on with it. All this talk about children or work, you decide - is bollocks. You haven't given up your own ambitions just because you are a father.

For what it's worth, I took two sideways/down moves to get to do what I wanted to do, where I wanted to do it. I was hard but it beats the alternative.
  • cyclingprop
    What do you mean when you talk about the overall package? Bonus or the pension you'll never get?

Also, is this a situation where they have offered you something at the bottom of a pay scale? If so, it might not bode well for the longer term. If they want you and if they can, you would hope to see at least some acknowledgement of swinging pay cut and some attempt to soften the blow.

On the other hand, 12 months is the blink of an eye and the stress of counting down the pay cheques is not to be underestimated. Additionally, in terms of your career, "not now" can turn into 5 years or never before you know it. The longer you leave it the harder a career change will be.

On balance, if you can afford to, I would take the plunge. If you want to be in this job eventually you are better off getting on with it. Other people's opinions are bollocks. You haven't given up your own ambitions just because you are a father.

For what it's worth, I took two sideways/down moves to get to do what I wanted to do, where I wanted to do it. I was hard but it beats the alternative.

FTFY.