Ster ZLM Toer

13»

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    nweststeyn wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Hey, what gives nweststeyn!? You replace your avatar of the legendary Bubbles (with cats) with another ugly bloke with glasses (but no cats) who I've never seen before.

You short change us on so many levels.

I am sorry that I am a constant disappointment.

:oops: :cry:

I wouldn't go that far - but it's good you apologise.

This forum needs things it can rely on.
    There are those amongst us with gaping holes and yawning chasms in their concepts of reality: coupled with profound bitterness at the World for not turning out how they had hoped (I'm thinking of the 'USADA files doping charges against Lance' thread as a particular example). Gaping and yawning.

Can we get Bubbles back, please?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Was more in relation to Jen's comment.

Jens'? (I wouldn't call him Jen! :lol: )

OK, I agree in that case - I think his comparatively poor sprinting (by his own very high standards) is as interesting as his comparatively good climbing. Would be great to see him develop into a Museeuw type (who I believe is his cycling idol) but not sure where that leaves him for this year's Tour.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    BigMat wrote:

OK, I agree in that case - I think his comparatively poor sprinting (by his own very high standards) is as interesting as his comparatively good climbing. Would be great to see him develop into a Museeuw type (who I believe is his cycling idol) but not sure where that leaves him for this year's Tour.

I genuinely don't think we can draw anything from this - neither his climbing nor his sprinting.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    BigMat wrote:

Nothing better than turning up and giving a few people a nasty shock, though they were probably moaning about you as you dropped them. Funny how some people do their best to make it as hard as they can then complain and say "it's not a race" when they are the ones struggling.

They were quite complimentary actually. Was nice. :D

In fariness, I was well behaved. Pulled my share etc.

It's pretty rare I'm not the weakest on the club run, so it felt super good.

I tend to overstretch myself.

Glad they were a welcoming bunch.

My first club run experience was about 12 years ago when me and a mate decided to go on the club run of a well known London club. Nobody even deemed us worthy of speaking to and it was clear very quickly that they were on a mission to destroy the noobs. We were both skint students so didn't have all the latest gear but we were strong riders so just about managed to cling on, about half way through though we decided we'd probably have more fun if it was just the two of us and we went to the back and took a convenient wrong turn.

Ten years later I got dropped from my first club run with my current club after 5 miles because I was fat and seriously out of condition (it was January and bloody cold), but they were a good bunch of guys so I persisted...and now only got dropped after about 10 miles :wink:

There are club runs and club runs. Most of ours if you get dropped you'll be waited for, somebody will always stick with you etc. There are a few faster ones with the guys who race though and if you get dropped /flat tyre / mechanical its game over. Not a problem as long as you know the score up front!

I know that, my problem wasn't with the speed it was with their attitude to us. It was a long time ago though, cycling has changed a lot since then and my more recent experiences with my own club and other local clubs has been very different.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    BigMat wrote:

I genuinely don't think we can draw anything from this - neither his climbing nor his sprinting.

Nothing at all? He beat all bar one in the hilly stage and it's not as if every single other rider wasn't trying or was in terrible form. It's clearly a good performance from him and one that suggests he might do better in the Olympic Road Race than many had expected.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    BigMat wrote:
    Maybe this year is all about the Olympics. I think he must be bluffing a bit with his sprinting though. If he doesn't have the top end speed to mop up sprint wins at the Tour, there really is no point in him being there, is there?

IT's the Ster ZLM Toer.

It's the first time 99% of us have heard of this race.

In other news, I was putting in some outstanding performances on the Surrey hills on the club-ride yesterday.

Everyone thought it was a pretty good race when talking about Gilbert's unbeaten run last year
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    There are those amongst us with gaping holes and yawning chasms in their concepts of reality: coupled with profound bitterness at the World for not turning out how they had hoped (I'm thinking of the 'USADA files doping charges against Lance' thread as a particular example). Gaping and yawning.

This post makes me so sad that I have to post a picture of a kitten for you.

cute-kitten.jpg
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    BigMat wrote:
    Maybe this year is all about the Olympics. I think he must be bluffing a bit with his sprinting though. If he doesn't have the top end speed to mop up sprint wins at the Tour, there really is no point in him being there, is there?

IT's the Ster ZLM Toer.

It's the first time 99% of us have heard of this race.

In other news, I was putting in some outstanding performances on the Surrey hills on the club-ride yesterday.

Everyone thought it was a pretty good race when talking about Gilbert's unbeaten run last year

I don't remember this, but it's quite possible.

If Cav starts climbing well.....
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    OCDuPalais wrote:

This post makes me so sad that I have to post a picture of a kitten for you.

cute-kitten.jpg

Generally speaking, there aren't enough kitten's in ProRace.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    What helmet does Renshaw have?

sui12st09-kittel.jpg
    ster-sprint.jpg

It looks a little like this (Giro air attack) but I know it isnt.
    giro.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    OCDuPalais wrote:

No kitten is complete with a Bubbles.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    What helmet does Renshaw have?

sui12st09-kittel.jpg
    ster-sprint.jpg

It looks a little like this (Giro air attack) but I know it isnt.
    giro.jpg

Maybe it is : http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/g ... met-34308/
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Haha, ok thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest