Ster ZLM Toer

islwyn
islwyn Posts: 650
edited June 2012 in Pro race
Hello you lot...

So today sees the start of the Ster ZLM Toer, four day race based in the South of Holland.

What with the Swiss stealing a lot of TV coverage, do we know if Ster ZLM Toer is being screened anywhere?

Cheers.

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Kittel versus Greipel versus Cavendish.

The ultimate chipper championship?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Route de Sud is a little more interesting than this...!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    knedlicky wrote:

The ultimate chipper championship?

Does this even count as a chipper? It's more of a French Fry.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • inkyfingers
    Kittel
    Renshaw
    Cavendish
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Cavendish is finished

:P
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Didn't have to wait long to bring this edit out.

610x-1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,184
    Misjudged finish apparently, thought it was further. Maybe that's code for the others starting their sprints early as they see him being vulnerable to the tactic?
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    So that's why the car park of the hotel next to my office is full of team buses! RadioShack, Sky, Rabo, Omega are all there.

Tomorrow's stage is on my local roads but I'm working all day. :(
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    iainf72 wrote:
    Cavendish is finished

:P
    Those 4 kgs he's lost have affected his top end power output.
  • inkyfingers
    Greipel
    Cavendish
    Renshaw

Cavendish takes leaders jersey, obviously riding for the GC rather than stage wins :wink:
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Greipel
    Cavendish
    Renshaw

Cavendish takes leaders jersey, obviously riding for the GC rather than stage wins :wink:

Must hurt following "the Grimace" home in a sh*t small race like this...
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • pottssteve
    I met Cav in his hotel lobby this morning - he looked fighting fit. He's just toying with them - lengthening his odd on the green jersey before he puts a few quid on. :wink:
  • inkyfingers
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    So does this mean he will be able to get over all those climbs of Box Hill after all?
  • inkyfingers
    So does this mean he will be able to get over all those climbs of Box Hill after all?

Possibly, but according to this race he'll probably lose the sprint!

Seriously though, it does look like he's improving his climbing. Will be interesting to see whether it has any detrimental effect on his finishing speed when we get to the Tour.
  • inkyfingers
    dnoqiv.jpg
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Very good from Cav. Didn't expect him to make it anywhere near the front. Difficult course and a difficult finish too.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Looking at tomorrow's stage - Schijndel to Boxtel he could be in with a shout for the overall here. Lars Boom is only 8" down though.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    will PMSL if he gets overall
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • inkyfingers
    will PMSL if he gets overall

He should do (barring crashes and silly splits) as final stage is pan flat. I imagine that he'll be quite keen to get a stage win as well.

I reckon that having watched Wiggins win a bunch sprint he wanted to prove he could win a stage race :wink:
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    the route peaks at about 33 metres so i'm sure he'll have no problem retaining his lead

http://www.sterzlmtoer.nl/download/2012 ... 4_2012.gif
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • pottssteve
    Looking ahead, this may be a little optimistic but it does look a bit more interesting for the Worlds. Earlier in the year I wondered whether he'd even bother showing up as it's a pretty lumpy course with multiple climbs of the Cauberg, but having got through the Giro and then done pretty well this week he may be in with a chance? Or am I stretching it a bit?
  • Turfle
    Worlds are a stretch, but the Olympics are certainly looking a better bet.
  • frenchfighter
    dnoqiv.jpg

Thanks. I like this. Will try and find a large one as you dont often get the chance to see Cav like that.

Didn't watch the race but Boom and Flecha are heavyweights of those semi-classics so great for Mark.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I reckon that having watched Wiggins win a bunch sprint he wanted to prove he could win a stage race :wink:

Funny you should post that, because on his Twitter tonight...
    Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish

Proud of @TeamSky in #SterZLMToer today. They rode into the ground. Felt like @bradwiggins & his GC lot. 2nd on stage, keeping yellow jersey
  • frenchfighter
    Wow, looking down the results list, there are some decent gaps. Very impressive from Cavendish.

Highlights from stage 2 here. Stage 1 on the side and am sure stage 3 will be up at some point.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pli9uxg6t_o
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Can't wait until he slips on the green jersey at the Tour as have a superb edit of him in it last year.

AmgenTourCaliforniaStage7PLo2am_dR4Cl.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Just to go back to reading too much into it for a minute, I wonder if these next few months could be the point where he gives a proper go to turning himself into that one day classic type rider he says he'd like to end up as. If he can keep the weight off, win a number of stages at the Tour, and then win Olympic gold, it would have to give him pause for thought.
  • frenchfighter
    Some surprisingly good photos here and you can see highlights on the side also, including stage 3.

http://www.sterzlmtoer.nl/phpAlbum/main.php?cmd=album
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    Turfle wrote:
    Just to go back to reading too much into it for a minute, I wonder if these next few months could be the point where he gives a proper go to turning himself into that one day classic type rider he says he'd like to end up as. If he can keep the weight off, win a number of stages at the Tour, and then win Olympic gold, it would have to give him pause for thought.

It's a nice idea, and i'd be delighted if he was able to show himself as more than just a very good sprinter, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. This was the Ster ZLM Toer, not De Ronde.