Ster ZLM Toer

Comments

• dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    i have a theory cavendish didn't go out of his way to win the first two sprints.
    at the tour he needs other sprinters teams to chase breakaways more than before with brad being a likely overall winner.

this would be a clever move because lotto and argos now 'have the proof' their man can beat cavendish at this years tour so sky will expect them both to share in the work.

he has form for playing tricks - before his milan san remo win when he deliberately lost a lot of time on the hills in tirreno adriatico and people wrote him off.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    That's an interesting theory, I like it!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,184
    dnoqiv.jpg

Thanks. I like this. Will try and find a large one as you dont often get the chance to see Cav like that.

Didn't watch the race but Boom and Flecha are heavyweights of those semi-classics so great for Mark.

Certainly no lack of effort on his face. Sounds like one of his better rides (level of race may be low but a strong field). Was it a small group that was away for a while or did it just split on the finish climb? If the former it would be interesting to know if he took his share of the work.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Team Sky ‏@TeamSky
    Provisional result from final stage of #ZLMToer has Kittel (ARG) winning ahead of Renshaw (RAB), with Roelandts (LTB) in third
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Team Sky ‏@TeamSky
    Provisional result from final stage of #ZLMToer has Kittel (ARG) winning ahead of Renshaw (RAB), with Roelandts (LTB) in third

That's also what it says on the Ster ZLM website.

Cavendish takes the overall classification(!), Lars Boom second (+8 secs) and Jurgen Roelandts third at +14 secs.

I was out riding this morning and it was fine, cool but windy (and so was the weather...)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    pottssteve wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Team Sky ‏@TeamSky

That's also what it says on the Ster ZLM website.

Cavendish takes the overall classification(!), Lars Boom second (+8 secs) and Jurgen Roelandts third at +14 secs.

I was out riding this morning and it was fine, cool but windy (and so was the weather...)

I hate boring, percentage GC riders who win overall without taking a stage.

Strava is not Zen.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Cav takes GC - what is going on at Sky, what with Wiggo winning sprints.
    See tweets from Jens Voigt to put this performance into perspective
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    LOL @ Jens tweets! If Cav really crossed La Redoute first, that is something pretty heavyweight : )
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    dcj wrote:
    i have a theory cavendish didn't go out of his way to win the first two sprints.
    at the tour he needs other sprinters teams to chase breakaways more than before with brad being a likely overall winner.

this would be a clever move because lotto and argos now 'have the proof' their man can beat cavendish at this years tour so sky will expect them both to share in the work.

he has form for playing tricks - before his milan san remo win when he deliberately lost a lot of time on the hills in tirreno adriatico and people wrote him off.

Quite possible. Or maybe the weight loss has caused him to lose some top end speed?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Quite possible. Or maybe the weight loss has caused him to lose some top end speed?

He can't stay the fastest for ever. Doesn't mean he won't still get plenty of wins though.
  • I wonder if this result gives him more pleasure than any number of sprint wins ?

For me it is as it shows him as an all round athlete - far more kudos than a "sit in sprinter".

Maybe, just maybe he might just flicker at the very bottom of Frenchie's "panache o meter" - to quote Jens

"How cool is that"
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    40 odd posts on a relatively unknown little stage race.
    I wonder how Iain will factor this into his Cav postings graphs? :)

Clearly a game plan. In order to get a 2 man tour lead out,
    Cav has to take on the roll of first up mountain domestique in the UK Postal train! :mrgreen:
    (good little "surprise" win, though)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    @Thejensie (Jens Voigt) on twitter:

"had an eyeopening experience yesterday in that hilly stage. Was like a little Liege Bastogne. We are on the famous" la redoute" climb and 2 of my teammates just attacked and went of the front. Of course some counterattacks behind...I try to keep them in check and its pretty sticky already, and there is 5riders just ahead of me, and then i look to side and guess what??? I see the worldchampion Marc Cavendish in his yellow jersey shifting 2gears bigger and just jumping to the counterattack, totally easy!!! I could see how Cav thought" i know i am supposed to be a sprinter, but i dont care!!" And he crossed the Hilltop in first place. I mean the biggest names in cycling used to fight and suffer with this hard and famous climb and then Cav comes along. Cav totally made this climb his bi..atch, i was sooo totally impressed to eyewitness that!! He is a champ, and watch out for him at olymics!"
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Maybe this year is all about the Olympics. I think he must be bluffing a bit with his sprinting though. If he doesn't have the top end speed to mop up sprint wins at the Tour, there really is no point in him being there, is there?
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    Maybe this is the beginning of an evolution away from pure sprinter much like Sean Kelly did.
    Green jerseys and one-day classics beckon....... ?????
    This is such an exciting period for GB Cycling.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    BigMat wrote:
    Maybe this year is all about the Olympics. I think he must be bluffing a bit with his sprinting though. If he doesn't have the top end speed to mop up sprint wins at the Tour, there really is no point in him being there, is there?

IT's the Ster ZLM Toer.

It's the first time 99% of us have heard of this race.

In other news, I was putting in some outstanding performances on the Surrey hills on the club-ride yesterday.
  • At least we can tell non-cyclists that Mark Cavendish has in fact won the yellow jersey. They might start realising he's a bit good then.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    BigMat wrote:

IT's the Ster ZLM Toer.

In other news, I was putting in some outstanding performances on the Surrey hills on the club-ride yesterday.

It used to be the Ster Elektrotoer. I've heard of it and I'm not even Dutch!
    It may only be a "sh!t small"TM race but for a pure sprinter to win on this parcours is an achievement. I reckon he's training up for the Worlds......
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

True Champion TM
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey

True Champion TM

;).

Always nice turning up to a club for the first time, going out on their 100km route and dropping the chaps they told me to look out for at the start ;).

though not all of them. *sad face*
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Hey, what gives nweststeyn!? You replace your avatar of the legendary Bubbles (with cats) with another ugly bloke with glasses (but no cats) who I've never seen before.

You short change us on so many levels.
  • inkyfingers

True Champion TM

;).

Always nice turning up to a club for the first time, going out on their 100km route and dropping the chaps they told me to look out for at the start ;).

though not all of them. *sad face*

At least you have something to aim for next time!

Nothing better than turning up and giving a few people a nasty shock, though they were probably moaning about you as you dropped them. Funny how some people do their best to make it as hard as they can then complain and say "it's not a race" when they are the ones struggling.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314

If they used the term "chaps", I'm assuming they were mostly over 60? Did you drop them while they were in Westerham Tea Shoppe?
  • rick_chasey

Nothing better than turning up and giving a few people a nasty shock, though they were probably moaning about you as you dropped them. Funny how some people do their best to make it as hard as they can then complain and say "it's not a race" when they are the ones struggling.

They were quite complimentary actually. Was nice. :D

In fariness, I was well behaved. Pulled my share etc.

It's pretty rare I'm not the weakest on the club run, so it felt super good.

I tend to overstretch myself.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Hey, what gives nweststeyn!? You replace your avatar of the legendary Bubbles (with cats) with another ugly bloke with glasses (but no cats) who I've never seen before.

You short change us on so many levels.

I am sorry that I am a constant disappointment.

:oops: :cry:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    That was Cav's first GC win. Ever.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers

Glad they were a welcoming bunch.

My first club run experience was about 12 years ago when me and a mate decided to go on the club run of a well known London club. Nobody even deemed us worthy of speaking to and it was clear very quickly that they were on a mission to destroy the noobs. We were both skint students so didn't have all the latest gear but we were strong riders so just about managed to cling on, about half way through though we decided we'd probably have more fun if it was just the two of us and we went to the back and took a convenient wrong turn.

Ten years later I got dropped from my first club run with my current club after 5 miles because I was fat and seriously out of condition (it was January and bloody cold), but they were a good bunch of guys so I persisted...and now only got dropped after about 10 miles :wink:
  • bigmat
    BigMat wrote:

IT's the Ster ZLM Toer.

What's your point? :? You wouldn't expect Cavendish to be regularly losing sprint finishes to Kittel and Greipel, so its a fair observation that either he's changing his focus to the detriment of his sprinting, or perhaps has some other reason for not trying as hard in the sprints in that race. Chipper or not, he's the kind of rider that will always go for the win if its an option, I would have thought.
  • rick_chasey
    Was more in relation to Jen's comment.
  • bigmat

Glad they were a welcoming bunch.

My first club run experience was about 12 years ago when me and a mate decided to go on the club run of a well known London club. Nobody even deemed us worthy of speaking to and it was clear very quickly that they were on a mission to destroy the noobs. We were both skint students so didn't have all the latest gear but we were strong riders so just about managed to cling on, about half way through though we decided we'd probably have more fun if it was just the two of us and we went to the back and took a convenient wrong turn.

Ten years later I got dropped from my first club run with my current club after 5 miles because I was fat and seriously out of condition (it was January and bloody cold), but they were a good bunch of guys so I persisted...and now only got dropped after about 10 miles :wink:

There are club runs and club runs. Most of ours if you get dropped you'll be waited for, somebody will always stick with you etc. There are a few faster ones with the guys who race though and if you get dropped /flat tyre / mechanical its game over. Not a problem as long as you know the score up front!