Road Beginners Gives Me A Complex.

13»

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    I object.

Is that like I-Robot but less specific. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    jim453 wrote:
    If people get bored or irritated with the same questions in road beginners, it's best they avoid that part of the forum, or posting irritable posts on those threads.

Similarly, things that seem funny when you write them can seem very different on someone else's computer screen - especially if they're not familiar with your posting style. It's worth baring that in mind.

How do I bare something in mind Richard? Is this something one learns how to do at university? Oh, and why haven't you deleted the thread?

Jim you do seem to be getting just a little obsessed with this subject- Jack Russell with a bone grrr :lol:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Right then fellas!

Firstly I would genuinely like to apologise if this thread has upset or offended anyone, I wasn't out to p*ss anyone off.

Secondly, as Cleat and Pinarello have pointed out, this is Cake Stop - the light hearted banter forum where we all indulge in a little p*ss taking mainly out of each other, it's probably wisest that 90% of what gets said on this forum gets taken with a pinch of salt.

Thirdly, the original post wasn't really a dig at the question askers - in fact again as Cleat points out, ive been on road beginners a fair amount, answering questions and indeed asking them! I was a newbie once - the vein of the thread is that basically, i'm a bit old school when it comes to my cycling preferences, also I have a VERY limited budget for my hobby so I was poking fun at the overwhelming number of complex situations/questions/scenarios that can commonly occur in our world of cycling and that I spend half of my life questioning my own set-up and technique as a result of the masses of information and opinion that exist out there, Yes ok, there was a small poke of fun at the siller questions that get asked with painful regularity as well as the whole 'what to get with £1000' - honestly, if only i had a grand to ask people I don't know what to spend it on...

Fourthly - I get along with most on here and Cakestop is always the best place for me to come if i need cheering up, its light hearted banter - please can we keep it this way? I get on with Frank anf Sheriff Chasey - of course the forum needs moderation but cakestop seem to be fast becoming a grey area and where once things were taken with a pinch of salt and a sense of humour this now seems to be getting lost a little somewhere...

Fifthly - I'm pretty sure EKIMIKE didn't mean to cause offence, I associate the word douche with a light hearted, almost parody phrase - ok it could have come out better, but honestly it's not like he used F's and C's and presented a hate-filled rant of poison!

Anyway, my apologies again.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Why does everyone have to fight all the time :(
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 721
    So do I need a douchebag or a saddlebag for my new bike? :D
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Right then fellas!

Firstly I would genuinely like to apologise if this thread has upset or offended anyone, I wasn't out to p*ss anyone off.

Secondly, as Cleat and Pinarello have pointed out, this is Cake Stop - the light hearted banter forum where we all indulge in a little p*ss taking mainly out of each other, it's probably wisest that 90% of what gets said on this forum gets taken with a pinch of salt.

Thirdly, the original post wasn't really a dig at the question askers - in fact again as Cleat points out, ive been on road beginners a fair amount, answering questions and indeed asking them! I was a newbie once - the vein of the thread is that basically, i'm a bit old school when it comes to my cycling preferences, also I have a VERY limited budget for my hobby so I was poking fun at the overwhelming number of complex situations/questions/scenarios that can commonly occur in our world of cycling and that I spend half of my life questioning my own set-up and technique as a result of the masses of information and opinion that exist out there, Yes ok, there was a small poke of fun at the siller questions that get asked with painful regularity as well as the whole 'what to get with £1000' - honestly, if only i had a grand to ask people I don't know what to spend it on...

Fourthly - I get along with most on here and Cakestop is always the best place for me to come if i need cheering up, its light hearted banter - please can we keep it this way? I get on with Frank anf Sheriff Chasey - of course the forum needs moderation but cakestop seem to be fast becoming a grey area and where once things were taken with a pinch of salt and a sense of humour this now seems to be getting lost a little somewhere...

Fifthly - I'm pretty sure EKIMIKE didn't mean to cause offence, I associate the word douche with a light hearted, almost parody phrase - ok it could have come out better, but honestly it's not like he used F's and C's and presented a hate-filled rant of poison!

Puff
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • JonnyJH
    JonnyJH Posts: 47
    Have you tried a teabag? :lol:
  • LeicesterLad
    diplodicus wrote:

Can't have one without the other! Only douche's use saddlebags!*

*please note, this is a joke, otherwise that would make me a douche. :wink:
  • LeicesterLad
    Right then fellas!

Puff

:lol:
  • LeicesterLad
    edited June 2012
    Can't we all just get back to beating on Vesterberg?
  • JonnyJH
    diplodicus wrote:

Seeing as my new bike came with a saddlebag does that make me a douche for buying it? hahahahaha
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Does anyone here have a cool bell on their bike?
  • LeicesterLad
    nweststeyn wrote:

I found this compliments my £5000 Pinarello Dogma Set-up pretty nicely...

ip043692.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    If people get bored or irritated with the same questions in road beginners, it's best they avoid that part of the forum, or posting irritable posts on those threads.

Similarly, things that seem funny when you write them can seem very different on someone else's computer screen - especially if they're not familiar with your posting style. It's worth baring that in mind.

but isn't that what cake stop is for? light hearted banter?

i see myself as a noob to this site and can see that cake stop requires a sense of humour. If we need questions answering there are plenty of sections to post them.

maybe you could add a little warning to the section like 'those easily offended should stay out :P '

That is precisely what the other admins are working on with the new "bottom bracket" forum.
    Unfortunately, those able to sort that out have been too busy to.
  • JonnyJH
    nweststeyn wrote:

Not only did I get a bell with my bike, I also got a reflector! :shock:
    I was so disappointed when I realised one of them had to go so I could stick the computer on! :cry:
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    nweststeyn wrote:

I found this compliments my £5000 Pinarello Dogma Set-up pretty nicely...

ip043692.jpg

Can you get it in red? I want one for my Bowery. :)
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    diplodicus wrote:

*please note, this is a joke, otherwise that would make me a douche. :wink:[/quote][/quote]

I resemble that remark! :-)
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    LL will be available to answer all cycling related questions, at the information kiosk at this Saturdays Leicester SuperTour.

Next question LL, which mini-pump hurts the most? :D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • LeicesterLad
    jordan_217 wrote:
    LL will be available to answer all cycling related questions, at the information kiosk at this Saturdays Leicester SuperTour.

:shock: I'm coming out in a rash,I can't take this anymoreeeeeee

PS. I may actually be at the SuperTour - not to answer questions though :wink:
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    It's good to see normal service has been resumed. :lol:

NOW THEN LET'S ALL HAVE A GROUP HUG!!!!!!!!! :D
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    jordan_217 wrote:

As will I. Though a recent email from the organisers regarding the course change made me chuckle (reports of stones being thrown at cyclists when passing a travelers site).
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • LeicesterLad
    jordan_217 wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

As will I. Though a recent email from the organisers regarding the course change made me chuckle (reports of stones being thrown at cyclists when passing a travelers site).

This is Leicestershire, that is standard practice. :lol:
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    jordan_217 wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

This is Leicestershire, that is standard practice. :lol:

The standard practice is that the police will turn up and ask the travellers if they've hurt their hands on the stones and would they like compensation and perhaps their Merc's windscreens cleaning.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377

Ok but which one? Carbon hug, Alu, old school steel?

Hey LL no matter what at least they are not Tri Athletes...think of the questions then... :)http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewforum.php?f=3 see some here - like "effect of work on training" and "how bad at swimming am I?"
  • LeicesterLad
    Redhog14 wrote:

Ok but which one? Carbon hug, Alu, old school steel?

Hey LL no matter what at least they are not Tri Athletes...think of the questions then... :)http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewforum.php?f=3 see some here - like "effect of work on training" and "how bad at swimming am I?"

Triathalon? Jesus, I dare not even go there... :shock:
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Both threads of considerable merit :D
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    I can only imagine that we never actually hear from the guys who are really bad at swimming 'cept maybe in the pages of the local paper...
    also on the effect of work on training - no job = no money to buy the lastest waterproof, neoprene, gore tex bike swimsuit the one with the anti-wee smell crystals embedded!
    :)
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    There's a cracking thread in OT on TriTalk regarding peeing in pools.

ps:I spend too much time on TriTalk :)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    Slghtly off the beaten track, but somewhere along the lines of chucking stones as is standard practice in Leicestershire.
    Muggins was delivering Securitas money wagons around the uk. On one particular journey, I was sent to Swanlea from Toddington (Glos.). I was told to turn left last junction off the M25 before Dartford (J26, I think). "1st left over the flyover". Did just that. Now this was a brand new vehicle, spanking shiny diamond white new and I turned left into a gypsie site. With no rear view mirrors and kids, cats, dogs, loafers, horses - all free range, I had to go all the way through the 'camp' to do a 'ue'.
    Being a cash carrying vehicle and in a gypsie site, the vehicle was pelted with mud and stones and whetever they could get their hands on (when I say them, I mean 6 to 16 year olds).
    Suffice to say, upon arrival to the correct destination, the comment I got from this broken nosed cockney before opening my mouth was "Took the wrong turning then?".
    Hereendeth Mondays jackanory throught the round window...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Personally I'd favour GT85 (seems to be permanently on special offer in Aldi, worth bearing in mind) over WD40, each to their own though. Old rag....unless you've a completely stuffed old shirt or tea-towel, you could always go for a roll of J-Cloths from the local pound shop. Very handy for bike-related cleaning, though I also tend to chop up my old work shirts too.

David

Now if there was ever a pointless discussion it's over GT85 vs WD40

But...

WD40 is just for spraying on rusted nuts and bolts on old cars to try and loosen them, where as GT85 is a far more sophisticated product that can be used from anything from polishing your paintwork or as a replacement for butt cream if you are running short.

Also the can on GT85 is exactly the same size as the ideal seatpost length for someone who's 6 ft with a 32" leg - which is the most common size for a cyclist.
    Simon