Road Beginners Gives Me A Complex.

Comments

• p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Just imagine if the douchebags could buy a tailwind :roll: :lol:

Douchebags?

This forum and some of its so called members are so condescending it makes me wonder why anyone new would want to post or ask questions. This forum is a bit like Python's Camelot, 'tis a silly place. And really quite unpleasant sometimes and not very funny either.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries!
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    p9uma wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Just imagine if the douchebags could buy a tailwind :roll: :lol:

Douchebags?

This forum and some of its so called members are so condescending it makes me wonder why anyone new would want to post or ask questions. This forum is a bit like Python's Camelot, 'tis a silly place. And really quite unpleasant sometimes and not very funny either.
    Fair point
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    p9uma wrote:
    Douchebags?

As hard as it may be to believe, that's how I feel about this forum but seriously - that was a joke. I would have used something a little more forceful if I was serious... and left off the laughing smiley.

Check out my post history and see yesterday in Road Buying Advice where people hound a guy for not using the search function to find a well known thread that would have solved his problem, yet fail to give him the link in their indignation. I thought i'd lend a hand and give the poor dude the link.

Voila: viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12858842
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    Will shaving my legs make me go faster?

Have you ever ridden the tour de france?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Do I need one of these:

68%201%20base.jpg

Well, do I? Please? Somebody? HELLLLLLLPPPPPP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH
  • pinno
    LL - only one solution, don't go there. We are pandering to the 'spoonfed' generation who won't just do something. When I started, it was 'suck it and see' and the old hands were pretty tight on info. Sort of pub quiz mentality - oodafukareyoo? They only yielded when you passed them on an incline and saw that you were trying.
    A starter bike for under 1k ?!?! fuk me, when I think of the contraption I started on and the kit I had.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    How often should I clean my chain?

I have a Moulton with 16" wheels. Will 700c x 23mm tyres fit?

Why do roadies never wave when I am out on the Raleigh Chopper my dad found in a skip, are they all snobs?

I'm 4'9 tall, is a 62cm frame the right size?

I've had my bike for six months and the gears are malfunctioning. When I am on the 60t front cog and the 11t rear my bike won't go up hills. The shop just laugh at me, should I inform trading standards?

I choked on a Haribo. Can I sue Wiggle?
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    LL - only one solution, don't go there. We are pandering to the 'spoonfed' generation who won't just do something. When I started, it was 'suck it and see' and the old hands were pretty tight on info. Sort of pub quiz mentality - oodafukareyoo? They only yielded when you passed them on an incline and saw that you were trying.
    A starter bike for under 1k ?!?! fuk me, when I think of the contraption I started on and the kit I had.

Couldn't agree more!
    Doing something yourself is the best way to learn, live & learn, learn by your mistakes etc etc
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    p9uma wrote:
    Douchebags?

As hard as it may be to believe, that's how I feel about this forum but seriously - that was a joke. I would have used something a little more forceful if I was serious... and left off the laughing smiley.

Check out my post history and see yesterday in Road Buying Advice where people hound a guy for not using the search function to find a well known thread that would have solved his problem, yet fail to give him the link in their indignation. I thought i'd lend a hand and give the poor dude the link.

viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12858514. I think Rick C and his blue pencil might take a different view if he stumbles across a thread of people ripping the p*** out of newbies and indiscriminately calling them douchebags. Frank got his thread pulled for far less than this. (but I ain't no stool pigeon)
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    p9uma wrote:
    Douchebags?

viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12858514. I think Rick C and his blue pencil might take a different view if he stumbles across a thread of people ripping the p*** out of newbies and indiscriminately calling them douchebags. Frank got his thread pulled for far less than this. (but I ain't no stool pigeon)

Shouldbeinbed, I was just about to make the very same point.

TBH I don't give a flying fish my post was "pulled" but the reason given was because it may alienate newbies etc. Given my post was actually addressed to one person which would mean relatively few would probably view it, I find the reason very odd. WE'VE ALL BEEN ROAD BEGINNERS and any thread containing those words are likely to attract road beginners. Given the nature of the thread not exactly a come and join us rally call is it.

Don't get me wrong people can post what they like within reason, but Rick Chasey has not been consistent or the reason he gave for pulling my thread was a load of bo11ocks and he should come clean. It's not like I'm going to try and sue him is it.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • JonnyJH
    JonnyJH Posts: 47
    You know I was warned by a mate to stay clear of forums because they are full of “clicky” condescending morons.
    Being a total newbie, to stumble across something like this while browsing the forums is a little off putting!
    I came here to get advice either by asking questions or reading what others have asked. But to find something like this just shows you have little to no interest in helping those who are new to the sport. Because hey, you were all born knowing everything you do right? And to share some of that, WHY?!
    All you have done here is make yourselves look like a bunch of arrogant D1CK5
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    JonnyJH wrote:

Do you want to buy a set of golf clubs :?:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    JonnyJH wrote:
    You know I was warned by a mate to stay clear of forums because they are full of “clicky” condescending morons.
    Being a total newbie, to stumble across something like this while browsing the forums is a little off putting!
    I came here to get advice either by asking questions or reading what others have asked. But to find something like this just shows you have little to no interest in helping those who are new to the sport. Because hey, you were all born knowing everything you do right? And to share some of that, WHY?!

Cliquey. Surely?

Unless you're on about Frank's knees?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • JonnyJH
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Cliquey. Surely?

Quite possibly, I thought it didn’t look quite right... lol

As for the golf clubs I’m alright thanks, I’ll just borrow my dad’s! haha
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    JonnyJH wrote:

John I dont think leicsterlads intention was to start a thread that seemed condescending to newbies - we all have indeed had to start somewhere - and if you look at LL's post history i think you'll see no badwill was intended.

Also the forum is just a refelctio of what goes on in the real world - people get bored and sometimes show themselves in a bad light, others will willingly not only offer advice but experience. Some forums can appear cliquey but I have to say this is one of the least cliquey I've been on (try www.muntersOnBikes.com) - cake stop is just a bit of fun - its just a bit of light relief - by the way re D1CK5 how did you guess my car number plate, hehe
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • JonnyJH
    Indeed I don’t believe the purpose of this thread was deliberate attack at newbies as much as it was just some light hearted fun.
    For the most part I found it quite funny! We are all guilty of asking stupid questions at times are we not? But they never seem stupid when we ask them do they.....

But to quite generically refer to all newbies as douchebags was just a little too far!

Perhaps I ranted a little too much, I blame some residual aggression after spending an hour on the turbo. lol
  • EKIMIKE
    Shouldbeinbed, I was just about to make the very same point.

TBH I don't give a flying fish my post was "pulled" but the reason given was because it may alienate newbies etc. Given my post was actually addressed to one person which would mean relatively few would probably view it, I find the reason very odd. WE'VE ALL BEEN ROAD BEGINNERS and any thread containing those words are likely to attract road beginners. Given the nature of the thread not exactly a come and join us rally call is it.

Don't get me wrong people can post what they like within reason, but Rick Chasey has not been consistent or the reason he gave for pulling my thread was a load of bo11ocks and he should come clean. It's not like I'm going to try and sue him is it.

Maybe your post isn't directed at me but you have quoted my post - so just a friendly reminder that it was in reference to the 'Road Buying Advice' forum, not the 'Road Beginners' forum.

More generally, i'm willing to assume that new comers have a degree of intelligence and don't need to be sheltered from the ills of jest and banter because they can work it out for themselves. Just because these people are new to the forum doesn't mean they can't discern between a serious thread and a joke.

If all threads were serious it would be as boring as if the only response to all 'What wheelset' threads was 'Mavic Ksyrium Elites'. Oh... :lol:
  • pinno
    JonnyJH wrote:

In the first instance, Leicesterlad had been on the begginners advice forum. His intention was to assist newcomers.
    Then he gets bogged down with some silly questions. Then he vents off here on cake stop. If he was a condascending know it all dick, I don't think he would have bothered trying to help newbies.
    As I have said before, necomers nowadays seem to want to be spoonfed and won't go out and make mistakes, learn, suffer a little. We are definately not clicky. If you spent some time on the forum, you would see that we slag each other off all the time. Sometimes in the process of getting stuck in, you can be on the receiving and of heaps of sh1te but its banter and if you meet it with humility and equally good banter, you'll have no problems. Is'nt that right Frankie Tankie, you cnut? and as for you aggieboy, you're a skulking creepy basement perv of the lowest variety and then there's that RonB the geeky anorak computer freak, oh and that Cleat naathen bast@rd (you have to respect him 'cos he's 93 years old), oh and that other silly fokker, wassisname, offorawankadam, willhub the sponger, the list is endless... :wink: (No offence guys, a little poetic license to get my point over).
    Get a thick skin and grow up quick, it will do you good.
  • JonnyJH
    pinarello001
    As you clearly didn’t read my later post here it is repeated for you.....

JonnyJH wrote:
    Indeed I don’t believe the purpose of this thread was deliberate attack at newbies as much as it was just some light hearted fun.
    For the most part I found it quite funny! We are all guilty of asking stupid questions at times are we not? But they never seem stupid when we ask them do they.....

But to quite generically refer to all newbies as douchebags was just a little too far!

Perhaps I ranted a little too much, I blame some residual aggression after spending an hour on the turbo. lol
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    If people get bored or irritated with the same questions in road beginners, it's best they avoid that part of the forum, or posting irritable posts on those threads.

Similarly, things that seem funny when you write them can seem very different on someone else's computer screen - especially if they're not familiar with your posting style. It's worth baring that in mind.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    JonnyJH wrote:

John I dont think leicsterlads intention was to start a thread that seemed condescending to newbies - we all have indeed had to start somewhere - and if you look at LL's post history i think you'll see no badwill was intended.

Also the forum is just a refelctio of what goes on in the real world - people get bored and sometimes show themselves in a bad light, others will willingly not only offer advice but experience. Some forums can appear cliquey but I have to say this is one of the least cliquey I've been on (try http://www.muntersOnBikes.com) - cake stop is just a bit of fun - its just a bit of light relief - by the way re D1CK5 how did you guess my car number plate, hehe

<stands up and hangs head in shame>

My name is Matt and I actually clicked on that link :oops:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • JonnyJH
    Yea I clicked on it too :oops: :oops:

Like I said, I found the thread quite funny and I see no harm in a little banter. Heck, in my line of work if you couldn’t give and take a bit you wouldn’t last 5 mins!

But if someone new to cycling came up to you seeking a little advice would you just walk of and call them a douchebag behind their back?... I don’t see how this is a whole lot different.
    It’s a stretch of even the wildest imagination to shrug that off as harmless banter!
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    If people get bored or irritated with the same questions in road beginners, it's best they avoid that part of the forum, or posting irritable posts on those threads.

Similarly, things that seem funny when you write them can seem very different on someone else's computer screen - especially if they're not familiar with your posting style. It's worth baring that in mind.

How do I bare something in mind Richard? Is this something one learns how to do at university? Oh, and why haven't you deleted the thread?
  • EKIMIKE

As a sincere proposal, I propose a change of thread format.

When a thread is started, the OP will compile a list of options that are answers he/she would like and then all we do is simply vote for the one we find most appropriate. This list could and should be added to and developed by mods and admins or designated 'experts' so as to give the OP more possible useful answers.

Also every poll should have a 'none of the above answers' option.

What does everyone think?
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    edited June 2012

but isn't that what cake stop is for? light hearted banter?

i see myself as a noob to this site and can see that cake stop requires a sense of humour. If we need questions answering there are plenty of sections to post them.

maybe you could add a little warning to the section like 'those easily offended should stay out :P '
  • EKIMIKE
    In retrospect I am going to report my own post containing the word 'douchebag'. Clearly it has offended enough people for me to have that on my conscience should it not be reported. As a responsible observer, having realised offence has been caused, I should and will now report it.
  • JonnyJH
    As I no doubt over reacted I shall refrain from posting comments for at least an hour after getting off the turbo. That dammed thing does weird things to me! Lmao

I also propose that this thread should probably be removed or locked, but no doubt someone will object to that idea... lol
  • JonnyJH
    So do I :lol: