Hivemind needed....

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    mattwood wrote:
    http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3276&g=259506&p=259508&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Clearance Bikes

It's £100 over your budget - but haggle it down to £1500

The frame is sterling! Mine is white with full SRAM/Zipp kit and is amazing! Shame mine is currently awaiting crash repairs though :'(

What's the ride like?
    I can't imagine that was ever worth £2600 though. It seems on a par with Boardman and PX spec for a similar price. Not to say it's not worth it but it doesn't seem the bargain that the 40% off suggests.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i really wouldnt recommend argon 18 or BMC to the casual cyclist. they are both out and out race bikes. incredibly stiff and will beat you up.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Edit: Out of interest, how many of you actually rode your bike for a bit before you bought it?

Pre-Cervelo bikes: with one exception, not at all. The exception was a Giant OCR I bought in Canada. They only had a M in the shop, which is probably 1/2 a size too small. I took it out for a test ride: first corner, I turned the bars but the front wheel didn't follow. Back to the shop to have the rear stem bolts tightened. Second go: handlebars dropped within 200m. Back to the shop to have the front stem bolts tightened. Working out how the ride felt was pretty secondary to staying alive. A few weeks later the chain was jumping all over the place at the front. I thought it need reindexing after the cables had done their initial stretch. Got home to find only 2 bolts left on the chainring spider, both of which were well on their way to escaping. Found a new bike shop after that.

First Cervelo: not at all. I checked the geometry against what I had, worked out how and where to tweak the fit, and went on a couple of recommendations from friends about the ride/stiffness. Subsequent Cervelos shared the same geo, so no issues there.

I made one big error when my R2.5 was recalled. I went for the carbon Soloist (the precursor of the S2) and got one of the early models. It was far too stiff for me - almost zero vertical compliance. Sold it for Bike 2 which has an infinitely better ride.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • mattwood
    mattwood Posts: 148
    mattwood wrote:
    http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3276&g=259506&p=259508&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Clearance Bikes

It's £100 over your budget - but haggle it down to £1500

The frame is sterling! Mine is white with full SRAM/Zipp kit and is amazing! Shame mine is currently awaiting crash repairs though :'(

What's the ride like?

The ride is surprisingly comforable (for me at least). As people have said it is a race bike by nature, but I really can't fault it. The way the farme is set up, according to the sales blurb, is to offer maximum stiffness/performance whilst trying to maximise the comfort. I haven't ridden mine enough to offer an in-depth ride report, sadly, but if you can get on with a slightly more aggrassive riding position then it's certainly worth a ride. The frames themselves are going at £700 a piece, so you could probably build your own up for £1500 to a similar/better spec?

As to the nay-sayers, have you ridden one of these? I'm sure people (especially RC) may wish to benefit from your experience?

The spec on that one isn't amazing tbh - but compared to the boardman team carbon, I'd have the argon all day long. The frame is most of the RRP as the frames retail at about £1200 (RRP) and if I were to tot mine up based on RRP values (SRAM Rival/S950 chainset/Zipp stem, handlebars, bottle cage/SRAM S30 AL Sprints/Ultremo R1 tyres and probably a few little bits I've not though of re: finishing kit) then I reckon mine would come in at a little over £3000. Not that any of the bits retail at the full RRP most of the time!
  • mattwood
    mattwood Posts: 148
    By the way - I dont mean to sound like a knob in the above - but i typed that out pretty quickly before running to the vending machine for a bar-o-chocolate!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    mattwood wrote:
    By the way - I dont mean to sound like a knob in the above - but i typed that out pretty quickly before running to the vending machine for a bar-o-chocolate!

S'alright. Sound like less of a knob than I do :P.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i really wouldnt recommend argon 18 or BMC to the casual cyclist. they are both out and out race bikes. incredibly stiff and will beat you up.

Oooh, harsh on Rick.... :lol:

What about Colnago Ace? Wiggle have the 2011 models discounted to 1680 GBP, which means you might get better deals elsewhere too.

th_b17182dc58dcf8dd966aafee6c70605f_1310407763_magicfields_bk-main_1_2.jpg
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/colnago-ace-105-2011/
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rick_chasey
    spasypaddy wrote:

Oooh, harsh on Rick.... :lol:

What about Colnago Ace? Wiggle have the 2011 models discounted to 1680 GBP, which means you might get better deals elsewhere too.

th_b17182dc58dcf8dd966aafee6c70605f_1310407763_magicfields_bk-main_1_2.jpg
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/colnago-ace-105-2011/

Not a bad shout, but can't find it cheaper anywhere else.

Seen an Eddy Merckx EMX-1 Veloce for £1500...
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    Hmmm.. what is the England financial year end date? June 30? (Ours is..)

Wait a week or so, find one in stock somewhere, and start haggling with the salesman that you *may* buy it before the end of financial year.. they are usually much more likely to sharpen the deal at the end of the month, or especially at the end of the fiscal year when they need to move stock urgently.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rick_chasey

Wait a week or so, find one in stock somewhere, and start haggling with the salesman that you *may* buy it before the end of financial year.. they are usually much more likely to sharpen the deal at the end of the month, or especially at the end of the fiscal year when they need to move stock urgently.

End of March I believe...
  • spasypaddy

there is no set end of year. it depends on the company and when it was incorporated.

Rick, i wasn't meant to come across as harsh/condescending but you wanted something with a comfort ride (whilst still being relatively stiff) from what i understand. The argon is not that bike.
  • rick_chasey
    spasypaddy wrote:

there is no set end of year. it depends on the company and when it was incorporated.

Rick, i wasn't meant to come across as harsh/condescending but you wanted something with a comfort ride (whilst still being relatively stiff) from what i understand. The argon is not that bike.

You didn't.

Maybe I should be more specific - I want a bike that will be planted. The current bike I ride literally bounces me off the saddle over the merest of bumps.
  • spasypaddy
    excellent, did you see my two previous links? to a cheap 105 groupset and some decent but cheap wheels?
  • rick_chasey
    spasypaddy wrote:
    excellent, did you see my two previous links? to a cheap 105 groupset and some decent but cheap wheels?

I did...

Quick question. Shimano or SRAM?

Can't do Campagnolo since I already ride shimano.
  • spasypaddy
    shimano.

stick with what you know and currently use.

your hands are used to shimano shaped hoods and the way they shift. 3 of my 4 bikes run shimano gearing and my fixie has shimano shaped brake levers. my hands just cant get on with any of the other shapes
  • rick_chasey
    spasypaddy wrote:
    shimano.

stick with what you know and currently use.

your hands are used to shimano shaped hoods and the way they shift. 3 of my 4 bikes run shimano gearing and my fixie has shimano shaped brake levers. my hands just cant get on with any of the other shapes

Yeah, but it's shimano tiagra/sora from 7 years ago. I doubt they're any more similar to current shimano than they are to SRAM, save for the double tap - even then, I have a little button for the inside thumb to shift down a cog/sprocket, rather than the duel lever settup better shimano hoods have now.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Greg66 wrote:
    Edit: Out of interest, how many of you actually rode your bike for a bit before you bought it?

Pre-Cervelo bikes: with one exception, not at all. The exception was a Giant OCR I bought in Canada. They only had a M in the shop, which is probably 1/2 a size too small. I took it out for a test ride: first corner, I turned the bars but the front wheel didn't follow. Back to the shop to have the rear stem bolts tightened. Second go: handlebars dropped within 200m. Back to the shop to have the front stem bolts tightened. Working out how the ride felt was pretty secondary to staying alive. A few weeks later the chain was jumping all over the place at the front. I thought it need reindexing after the cables had done their initial stretch. Got home to find only 2 bolts left on the chainring spider, both of which were well on their way to escaping. Found a new bike shop after that.

First Cervelo: not at all. I checked the geometry against what I had, worked out how and where to tweak the fit, and went on a couple of recommendations from friends about the ride/stiffness. Subsequent Cervelos shared the same geo, so no issues there.

I made one big error when my R2.5 was recalled. I went for the carbon Soloist (the precursor of the S2) and got one of the early models. It was far too stiff for me - almost zero vertical compliance. Sold it for Bike 2 which has an infinitely better ride.

I've tested before buying most; though only briefly outside the shop. Fortunately no major incidents like Greg's - the only one of interest was a loud clicking noise coming from the stem/headset which turned out to be because I was putting FAR more force through it than the tech could. I view that as an achievement but it is probably size related.

Regarding stiffness I find my carbon trek much more comfortable because it is way more stiff than the alu. but then I would. You may find a smaller* frame proportionally more stiff owing to less leverage in the frame. But I don't know much about building bikes so could be talking guff.

Sizewise the carbon is a good fit, being a bit smaller than the alu bike (it turns out 64 is larger than i really needed, despite the advice at the time), and based on a bike fit however both have componentry sized appropriately now.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    spasypaddy wrote:

I did...

Can't do Campagnolo because I have no taste.

FTFY
  • rick_chasey
    spasypaddy wrote:

I did...

Can't do Campagnolo because I have no taste.

FTFY

I'd like Campag, but I'm intensely allergic to cycling kit faff - hence my lack of knowledge on this subject.

Getting a campag bike would increase cycling kit faff.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy wrote:

I did...

Can't do Campagnolo because I am not made of money

FTFY
    and FTFY again

Rick, then go into a shop and try them both, see which you prefer. if you want some impartial advice and want to test ride some bikes them drop me a PM and i can help you out
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Greg66 wrote:

Once the twisties kick in, the suspension, the chassis, the brakes, the tyres, the etc etc ...
    Meh.
    I could swap bikes with Cadel. Who would win?
    This is the commuting section and at this level the bike doesn't count half as much as we would like to believe.

Geometry and design will contribute to handling and comfort but I would think anyone could ride my skinny old bike design quickly.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    SRAM seems to be the best value. Also, Doubletap is so much more graceful than the other systems. In my humble opinion of course :P
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Go with SRAM (Rival's perfectly good enough) and if you don't like it you can always swap it for my nearly-new 105 ;)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • rick_chasey
    Go with SRAM (Rival's perfectly good enough) and if you don't like it you can always swap it for my nearly-new 105 ;)

Hmmm.. If you can arrange for them to be swapped / attached onto my bike I'd say deal :P.
  • rick_chasey
    I'm beginning to be increasingly tempted by that £1500 Merckx - looks like I've narrowed it down to 4.

1 - Focus Cayo
    2 - cube agree GTC
    3 - Merckx EMX 1
    4 - That Colnago air (if I can get it for £1500ish..)
  • keyser__soze
    I presume you'd need a 52? Shame, as these ride very nicely indeed :)

http://www.slanecycles.com/scott-addict ... livery=222
  • rick_chasey
    I presume you'd need a 52? Shame, as these ride very nicely indeed :)

http://www.slanecycles.com/scott-addict ... livery=222

Depends what kind of 54 that is - can't find and geometry info anywhere.
  • keyser__soze
    Your google-fu is weak young man: http://www.evanscycles.com/product_docu ... y-data.pdf
  • rick_chasey

52 it is.

Could stretch, literally, a 54, but I'd have to get a miniature stem (like I have on my spesh) and it'd look weird.

52 is better :P.
  • keyser__soze