The JubiFeckinLee

GiantMike
GiantMike Posts: 3,139
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
Is anybdy else really really tired of the Jubilee already? All the tacky supermarket adverts trying to get the massed ranks of this fat country to eat more food in the cause of a national celebration. Union Flags on EVERYTHING! Endless feckin bunting.

I'm grateful for another day off, but I'm not expecting a Jubilee-themed Mexican to come and do my work for me. I'll have to do that when I go back to work after the ineviable Bank Holiday downpours.

Don't we have something better to celebrate? Something better than a German woman, married to a Greek bloke, on the British throne for 60 years, about to hand over to an adulterer and Queen Camilla.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Me and 22 of my colleagues are off riding around in La Belle France this weekend :-D. So haven't really noticed!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • GiantMike
    DesWeller wrote:
    Me and 22 of my colleagues are off riding around in La Belle France this weekend :-D. So haven't really noticed!

Ooh, good point. I've just remembered that being English means I'm not a garlicky Frenchie.

Where's my bunting and King size Pork Pie?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Not getting much traction in the Netherlands....a lot of orange flags appearing for the Euros tho...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    This lot have got the idea:

http://www.republic.org.uk/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    ddraver wrote:
    Not getting much traction in the Netherlands....a lot of orange flags appearing for the Euros tho...

oranje-fans.jpg

ORANJE!!
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285

Never seen this site before but after a quick skim (have a lot of time for niche polical sites :D ) I can safely say that if this repressents the flagship of UK's republican movement then we're in for decades more of monarchy...
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Yes I'm sick of hearing about it. And of telling my doe-eyed vacant neighbour AGAIN that I have no intention of joining in a street party.
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    GiantMike wrote:
    I've just remembered that being English means I'm not a garlicky Frenchie.
    I am English too, so unfortunately I must share the greatest nation on earth with this sort of thing.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Not getting much milage up here...Rangers Fans like to fly the Union Flag but they are keeping quiet at the moment too.. :)
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    GiantMike wrote:
    ...garlicky Frenchie.

The correct term is cheese eating surrender monkey.
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    But at least the French get to choose their HoS. Vive la republique!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    DesB3rd wrote:

Never seen this site before but after a quick skim (have a lot of time for niche polical sites :D ) I can safely say that if this repressents the flagship of UK's republican movement then we're in for decades more of monarchy...

That site is truly laughable!!

By most accounts, the monarchy costs the country around £30-40m a year (even though the real cost will be higher due to policing and security costs etc). Even at that daft group's made up estimate of £130-£180m or so, its a bargain when compared to the £500m+ that is brought in to the country through tourism.

Plus we get an extra day off next week (i'm riding a Cheshire Sportive) so big thumbs up to the Jubilee from me!! :D
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    God save the Queen!

We mean it man 8)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I'm no Monarchist and I'm no Republican either, but I have to say that the Jubilee is probably the national celebration of 2012 that carries the most credibility with me, compared to the god awful Olympics nonsense.

I'm not sure why people are so desperate to stop those who are into it all enjoying themselves. If I tolerate that stupid overpaid sportsday, will you stop moaning about some harmless folk having a party?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    By most accounts, the monarchy costs the country around £30-40m a year (even though the real cost will be higher due to policing and security costs etc). Even at that daft group's made up estimate of £130-£180m or so, its a bargain when compared to the £500m+ that is brought in to the country through tourism.

Who came to this figure and how did they calculate it?
  • Wirral_paul
    johnfinch wrote:

VisitBritain research as widely published.

How accurate it is - impossible to tell given that the figures will no doubt be direct and indirect numbers. But £500m vs circa £40m gives a huge room for error to say that the monarchy brings in a net gain!!
  • Bring it on I say.
    It's another day off work to do with what you want. Nobody says you have to celebrate the queen.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    johnfinch wrote:

VisitBritain research as widely published.

How accurate it is - impossible to tell given that the figures will no doubt be direct and indirect numbers. But £500m vs circa £40m gives a huge room for error to say that the monarchy brings in a net gain!!

The research that I have found looks to be on very, very dodgy grounds. It says that this is spending at tourist destinations which are "associated" to the royals. Under which heading they list St Paul's Cathedral, the National Maritime Museum and Westminster Abbey.

I have no doubt that there are some people who come to the UK on the back of a royal visit to their home country - the true figure might be higher or lower than the £500m quoted, but probably the only way to find out would be to survey visitors coming to the UK to ask them if their choice of holiday was majorly influenced by the royal family.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    its a bargain when compared to the £500m+ that is brought in to the country through tourism.

The Royal family marketing department, yeah it's bollocks, visitors come to the country for it's culture, and history and buildings not to see a bunch of inbred, half soaked, privileged layabouts. If the royalspongers plc were disbanded the same amount of tourists would still come and have even better access to 'our' national monuments/castles/palaces. I often wonder if people had to tick a box on their tax returns saying they would like to contribute some of their tax to to the upkeep of this very wealthy family, how many would tick it?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Wirral_paul
    I often wonder if people had to tick a box on their tax returns saying they would like to contribute some of their tax to to the upkeep of this very wealthy family, how many would tick it?

Probably all but 22% of the population according to the recent survey linked through the below!! :lol:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12855869
  • Wirral_paul
    johnfinch wrote:
    I have no doubt that there are some people who come to the UK on the back of a royal visit to their home country - the true figure might be higher or lower than the £500m quoted, but probably the only way to find out would be to survey visitors coming to the UK to ask them if their choice of holiday was majorly influenced by the royal family.

Its all subjective, and where do you draw the line at income to the country. I've little doubt that you could probably add multiple millions in trade brought in to the country due to the prestige that the monarchy brings. How many jobs does the monarchy bring to the UK (directly and indirectly) - from stall holders outside Buckingham Palace to those employed in factories making souvenir mugs?

Its just an impossible figure to calculate accurately. Overall I just dont see how we'd be better off without the monarchy as it stands now.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Its just an impossible figure to calculate accurately. Overall I just dont see how we'd be better off without the monarchy as it stands now.
    Face it Paul, some people just want rid of them. Any reason/excuse will do.

For the record, I am neither a monarchist or republican. Ie, I couldn't care one way or the other. Nice to get a holiday though.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bianchimoon
    johnfinch wrote:

Its all subjective, and where do you draw the line at income to the country. I've little doubt that you could probably add multiple millions in trade brought in to the country due to the prestige that the monarchy brings. How many jobs does the monarchy bring to the UK (directly and indirectly) - from stall holders outside Buckingham Palace to those employed in factories making souvenir mugs?

Stall holders outside Buck Pal - probably don't pay much tax - souvenir mugs suppose it keeps the far east in jobs
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    johnfinch wrote:
    ...I have no doubt that there are some people who come to the UK on the back of a royal visit to their home country - the true figure might be higher or lower than the £500m quoted, but probably the only way to find out would be to survey visitors coming to the UK to ask them if their choice of holiday was majorly influenced by the royal family.
    We could always send them to the guillotine. And then see what happens.
    If it doesn't work out we could invite a German and a Greek to take their old places. :lol:

edit: assuming you can find a German and a Greek who get along.
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • bianchimoon
    daviesee wrote:
    Face it Paul, some people just want rid of them. Any reason/excuse will do..

my reason is simple, i don't believe one humans value is worth more than another humans, providing we all behave appropriately
  • Wirral_paul
    my reason is simple, i don't believe one humans value is worth more than another humans, providing we all behave appropriately

To the Tower with you!! :lol::lol:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    ...my reason is simple, i don't believe one humans value is worth more than another humans, providing we all behave appropriately
    I agree but I'll bite anyway.
    Who said who is worth more?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    ddraver wrote:

oranje-fans.jpg

ORANJE!!

if yu squint they look like the tomato festival in Seville(?)
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited May 2012
    wheezee wrote:

I've always classed myself as republican, I have no regard for the monarchy & am quite sure tourists would pay through their noses just as well to se Buck House, Balmoral et al whether we had a Queen or not, but the alternative is touted as an elected head of state - whoop.

Someone like Tony Blair or David Cameron? or any of the other unpalatable career politicians then? - I'm no more in favour of that than the monarchal heredity of intermarriage and the biggest bully of hundreds of years ago winning the job.

the whole politico/monarchal thing is too tarnished for me whichever way things would go, we're paying towards someone's incredible wealth and absolutely no concept of what it is to copper up the week before payday whatever happens.
  • GiantMike
    Surely we could all take it in turns to be the HoS. Or have a randomly-selected Britisher doing it for a 6 month stint.

Everybody would be eligible, and during that time you'd get the chance to have a huge Royal wedding, get a job as a Pilot in the RAF, get a Queen-mobile and a jet to swan around in, have huge Garden Parties in you back garden, go shooting/fishing/skiing every year, pop along to your local hospital to cut some tape every so often, get some really snazzy clothes, open Parliament, get you face on a bank note.

We could have 2 extra BHs per year, one for each of the Heads of State.