Strava 'bagging'

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    willhub wrote:
    Bloody thieves on Strava, someone stole my KOM today so I had to go steal it back :x

Add me on Strava (search Willhub . )

Ah, I knew I recognised that Strava username from somewhere. Noticed you on at least one segment I ride (http://app.strava.com/segments/960345). I only do a short ride around the Manchester area (Oxford Road to Salford). All my Manchester rides are on the Brompton, so I'm quite pleased with my positions overall. No chance of any KOMs though...
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    Well the phone has been pretty accurate, on the way out it reported 17.4, the Garmin reported 17.8

On the way back, the Garmin reported 19.3 and the phone reported 19.3 also.

It's as if the Garmin is helping the phone get a GPS signal better?

(Borrowed an 800)
  • I recommend creating crap segments purely so you can really wind up the "strava pros" :)
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    laurentian wrote:

Thing is, I can see a couple of glaring omissions. For instance THE local hill (highest point in the county I think) is not designated as a segment.

Which hill out of interest?

Honey Hill up to Cold Ashby - you know it?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Had two 'uh oh' emails last week, two of my favourite climbs at home have been stolen from me! The first by a couple of seconds, but the second one is going to be hell to beat, but as the hill is a couple of miles from my house I can't let some outsider keep it!

(segment in question: http://app.strava.com/segments/800637)
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I recommend creating crap segments purely so you can really wind up the "strava pros" :)

haha genius - someones actually got a strava segment of just outside his house - he holds the kom of 17 secs - i'm tempted to cycle up there and snatch it off him.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I also recreated a segment as it was obvious on the old one that people were taking flyers downhill on the approach at 35mph and then more or less up the other side with the momentum. So I have added another 1/4 mile , still on a gradient to even things up a bit.
    :twisted:
  • willhub
    I'm currently battling to beat my KOM on Burton to Lapwing in Manchester and battling with a Roy Nolan to get my KOM back on Fallowfield Cross to next traffic lights, such a bugger, was going to try it last night and bloody taxi driver only slams on in front of another car to turn left, every single time, it's like the Truman Show.

Lost my KOM on Styal Rd Descent too, getting too many Uh Oh's lately :evil:
  • Im new to strava just used it today, How do you set up autopause on the iphone app? and how do you get yourself in the leader board for the different segments?
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    willhub wrote:

The facts of life:

1) There is somebody who rides a bike faster than you on Strava
    2) There are many people who ride a bike faster than anybody on Strava
    therefore...
    3) If you're a KOM, you're not really, you're just holding it until the 'big boys' come along
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Im new to strava just used it today, How do you set up autopause on the iphone app?

no idea, think the android version does it automatically so possibly just the same. If not doesnt take much to press pause when you get off the bike.
    and how do you get yourself in the leader board for the different segments?

ride faster than the others :wink:
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    edited May 2012
    willhub wrote:

Just got one of them too..not that I have many KOMs.

Quite pleased though that it was by only 23 seconds over 2.2 miles to a 'Pro' rider, and he was riding with a mate so no doubt drafting on his sponsored, ever so light, certainly carbon bike and not carrying half a toolkit around as of course he would have a back up vehicle in tow......can't think of any more jealous coments :D

How do you get classed as a pro on Strava anyway...is it a self declaration thing?
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • jgsi
    GiantMike wrote:
    willhub wrote:

The facts of life:

therefore...
    3) If you're a KOM, you're not really, you're just holding it until the 'big boys' come along

You were in a 'good' mood this morning! :wink:
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Just had a KOM taken from me for a ride I did in 2010. I had no idea. I've completely moved away from the area now so there's no chance of me ever going back to reclaim it.

Never mind, I did set the KOM for the local TT circuit on Tuesday night, the fact that I came 6th is conveniently slipping my mind :)
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • GiantMike
    Attica wrote:
    Just had a KOM taken from me for a ride I did in 2010. I had no idea. I've completely moved away from the area now so there's no chance of me ever going back to reclaim it.

I recently lost one I'd held since 2009 in California. And I wasn't even trying. No chance of going back to get it now!
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    GiantMike wrote:
    willhub wrote:

The facts of life:

therefore...

So true
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I'm actually more impressed with some of my 2nd/ 3rd places on Strava :?
  • willhub
    GiantMike wrote:
    willhub wrote:

The facts of life:

therefore...

Well I look forward to some of the big boys coming along and take the KOM, I'll still try get it back tho ;)
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    GiantMike wrote:
    3) If you're a KOM, you're not really, the faster riders are racing properly, you know with a number pinned to their backs :mrgreen:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • willhub
    a_n_t wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    3) If you're a KOM, you're not really, the faster riders are racing properly, you know with a number pinned to their backs :mrgreen:

No.

If you're KOM, you're KOM, and to even get some of the KOM's before the "big boys" come along is damn hard, and I bet some people are prpetty happy when they've got the KOM.

If some of the "big boys" do come along and take the KOM, then it gives an incentive for other people to push harder, it's not impossible to beat these "big boys" on a KOM, you just need to push yourself that much harder and improve.

A lot of people would probably be as happy coming second on a KOM to some of these "big boys" as they would be to getting a KOM themselves"
  • snoopsmydogg
    is there a way to report/limit segments on strava?

Within a 2-3 mile radius of my house there is at least a dozen segments now but there should only be about half that. people are just adding segments that match others then adding about 0.2km to them which seems a bit pointless.
  • GiantMike
    willhub wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

No.

If you're KOM, you're KOM, and to even get some of the KOM's before the "big boys" come along is damn hard, and I bet some people are prpetty happy when they've got the KOM.

If some of the "big boys" do come along and take the KOM, then it gives an incentive for other people to push harder, it's not impossible to beat these "big boys" on a KOM, you just need to push yourself that much harder and improve.

A lot of people would probably be as happy coming second on a KOM to some of these "big boys" as they would be to getting a KOM themselves"

I am KOM on one of my local hills with a time of 7:37. During a training ride one of my buddies did the same hill in 5:57. But he doesn't do Strava, he races MTBs instead at Elite level. As a result I'm still KOM, but I feel like a cheat and a fraud. The fat strava kids see my time and think I'm really cool and try to beat me. One day one of them will (probably not a fat one though) and think he's the dude and the KOM. He's not though. My mate is, and maybe somebody is even faster than him.

Strava is good for a bit of fun and useful for tracking your own improvements. The real KOM is the one that gets to the top of the hill first in a real competition. In a recent race I got dropped off the back of a group of 29. At the end of the race I uploaded the data to strava and I am listed as 3rd on the league table for that hill. There were 26 others definately faster than me in my race, plus all those in the Seniors race would have been quicker too.

Claiming you're KOM is like saying you have the biggest c0ck in the world because you haven't seen anybody else's.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    There are some dubiously fast times for various segments local to me.

Realise there are no rules as such but some riders must be using tribars and maybe skinsuits on their so called training or commuting rides and getting some nice 30mph+ rolling starts just to help them along.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    GiantMike wrote:

Claiming you're KOM is like saying you have the biggest c0ck in the world because you haven't seen anybody else's.

Something you need to confess :?:
  • willhub
    GiantMike wrote:
    willhub wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

No.

I am KOM on one of my local hills with a time of 7:37. During a training ride one of my buddies did the same hill in 5:57. But he doesn't do Strava, he races MTBs instead at Elite level. As a result I'm still KOM, but I feel like a cheat and a fraud. The fat strava kids see my time and think I'm really cool and try to beat me. One day one of them will (probably not a fat one though) and think he's the dude and the KOM. He's not though. My mate is, and maybe somebody is even faster than him.

Strava is good for a bit of fun and useful for tracking your own improvements. The real KOM is the one that gets to the top of the hill first in a real competition. In a recent race I got dropped off the back of a group of 29. At the end of the race I uploaded the data to strava and I am listed as 3rd on the league table for that hill. There were 26 others definitely faster than me in my race, plus all those in the Seniors race would have been quicker too.

No it's not, if someone is KOM on Strava then they're KOM on Strava end of.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Sorry for this question here but I want to subscribe to this topic - how do I do it without posting?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    GiantMike wrote:

:mrgreen:

Strava my arse! Makes me laugh when you can see people have gone out to get a KOM and ridden about 2 miles to beat a 1/2 mile segment.

Someone even asked me if I was bothered that they'd beaten one of my times! :roll: They averaged 21mph for about 300 yards :lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • deadhead1971
    deadhead1971 Posts: 338
    It's just a bit of fun at the end of the day, and if it encourages a form of high intensity interval training by making people work harder up the hills on their routes, it's all good, isn't it?

I've put together a list of top tips for getting KOM's, or for getting them back if you've lost them.

http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/06/8- ... on-strava/

My favourite method is to use the virtual partner on my garmin, using the data from my previous best effort as a course.
    This lets you know in real time if you're ahead or behind, and by how much. Very useful.
    Alternatively, as a twitter friend mentioned, you could just "pedal harder".
    Alan
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk

The Ultimate List of Strava Add On Sites!
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/strava-sites
  • snoopsmydogg
    willhub wrote:

No it's not, if someone is KOM on Strava then they're KOM on Strava end of.

Think thats the point though, you are only KOM on one of the many gps recording apps out there. Not really a case for bragging rights is it?

Some even purposely ride 2 miles to win a 0.5mile segment where others have just done 30-50miles and its on their route. So who is KOM there? Not really a true contest is it?

I like strava because it helps me track my progress and shows how i am improving. It would be nice to see my name as number 1 but at the same time i would never say im fastest because there will be someone faster who doesn't use strava.
  • jgsi
    Call me petty, but just finished my own 'Prologue' and got my KOM back and stuck 10seconds in over the next best.
    A little bit of glory before the real world tomorrow when I get thoroughly thrashed in a 2/3/4 race.