Giro Stage 17 *spoiler*

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited May 2012 in Pro race
Canada’s Michael Barry of Sky Procycling and Dan Lloyd of Team IG-Sigma Sport ride stage 17 of the Giro up the Passo Giau and provide their insights on the route.

http://vimeo.com/42589559

Passo Giau was the one on the official photo (Gruber Images)
giro-d-italia-2012-poster-640.jpg

Km / To Go Climb Length Grade Max Cat
71.6 / 115 Passo Valparola 14.1 km 5.5 % 13 % 2
127.8 / 59 Passo Duran 12.2 km 8.1 % 14 % 1
148.7 / 38 Forcella Staulanza 12.3 km 6.9 % 11 % 2
168.2 / 19 Passo Giau 9.9 km 9.3 % 14 % 1

ukm_17.jpg

altimetria_17.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• frenchfighter
    Question is, which of these will be willing to go all out on the descent also. Not many I'd imagine. Someone courageous could attempt a move on the penultimate climb.

General Classification after Stage 16
    1 RODRIGUEZ OLIVER, Joaquin (KATUSHA) 69:22:04
    2 HESJEDAL, Ryder (GARMIN-BARRACUDA) + 0:30
    3 BASSO, Ivan (LIQUIGAS-CANNONDALE) + 1:22
    4 TIRALONGO, Paolo (ASTANA) + 1:26
    5 KREUZIGER, Roman (ASTANA) + 1:27
    6 SCARPONI, Michele (LAMPRE - ISD) + 1:36
    7 INTXAUSTI ELORRIAGA, Benat (MOVISTAR) + 1:42
    8 HENAO MONTOYA, Sergio Luis (SKY PROCYCLING) + 1:56
    9 CATALDO, Dario (OMEGA PHARMA-QUICKSTEP) + 2:12
    10 CASAR, Sandy (FDJ-BIG MAT) + 2:13

Remember in 2010 and Nibali's amazing win. It only netted him 23 secs but there was a decent amount of flat that time (summit 40km away and flatish of 15km). Profile: http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Girodit ... alt_14.pdf
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    9.9 at 9.3% - ouch!
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I hate riding Giau from that side, such a slog. Also the Duran is a tough one, though to descend that side is superb, it seems to go on forever. On the final descent into Cortina, the road is no problem and the last kilometres is a wider main road (from that little step in the profile at 178.5).
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Question is, which of these will be willing to go all out on the descent also. Not many I'd imagine. Someone courageous could attempt a move on the penultimate climb.
    Well from the video, it seems Dan Lloyd is hinting Nibali should be up front at the finish tomorrow. Perhaps he’ll be in the grandstand watching.

I hope it doesn’t come down just to who can descend the Giau the fastest but with 25-30 serpentines it’s certainly possible that’s where (additional) gaps could be opened.

I think the anti-penultimate (Duran) is perhaps a better bet for someone not in GC contention to make a move.
  • knedlicky
    I hate riding Giau from that side, such a slog. Also the Duran is a tough one, though to descend that side is superb, it seems to go on forever.
    I've never ridden Giau, but doesn't the east side have the steepest bits, 17% as opposed to 14% on the west side? Steepest sections on the east sides seems to be more or less the rule for all passes in the Dolomites.
    I like Duran, both sides.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Loong day in the saddle.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Who are the better decenders in the top 10? Obviously Basso can't decened well at all, but who in there can put the pressure on? Would Cunego be able to guide Scarponi down quickly? J-Rod?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'd expect a very small group at the summit of the Giau, none of whom would be outstanding descenders.

Today is going to be the first real test of the legs. 4 big old climbs. Ouch.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    Tom BB wrote:
    Who are the better decenders in the top 10? Obviously Basso can't decened well at all, but who in there can put the pressure on? Would Cunego be able to guide Scarponi down quickly? J-Rod?

J Rod's nippy.

Hej isn't too bad.

Generally though, disasters like Basso aside, if you're feeling really good you do get downhill quicker - whatever your skill.
  • frenchfighter
    Tom BB wrote:

Basso has specifically said he isn't taking any risks on the descents as he has three kids. As mentioned above, I wouldn't be surprised if Ryder got a gap. Casar can descend but he might be distanced before the top anyway.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Uran would appear to fancy himself downhill. Maybe he'll take a flyer with Gadret again.

Strava is not Zen.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Yes, when I look at that top 10 Casar was the name that jumped out as being somebody who might do something on the descent, he'd be doing very well to get that far in the leading group though. Hope they do ride fast up the final climb and that somebody will have a crack on the descent..could be epic if they do. The GC men have had two "rest" days and tomorrow is likely to be another one so hopefully somebody will be prepared to take some risks today anf bank some time for stages 19 and 20.

Bit stumped as to who to go for on PTP today. If an elite group gets to the finish today then you'd assume that J Rod or Cunego or maybe Uran would win in a sprint.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    I tend to agree that Casar probably wont be in the lead group at the top of the Giau....especially if leaky gas have been putting the pace on for Basso etc
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    The power's gone at work, so I currently have my fingers crossed that it can't be fixed soon and we get sent home.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Tom BB wrote:

Basso has specifically said he isn't taking any risks on the descents as he has three kids. As mentioned above, I wouldn't be surprised if Ryder got a gap. Casar can descend but he might be distanced before the top anyway.

Is that Professional Cycling code for "I still come down hill like a bag of cement" (copyright G. Simoni 2006) ?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I forgot to set the Sky Plus for todays stage, but my boss is off today and I'm working my notice anyway, so "working" from home I go!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    Pete Kennaugh & Bos have abandoned.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    The power's gone at work, so I currently have my fingers crossed that it can't be fixed soon and we get sent home.
    Woo Hoo! Sent home. Result!
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Woo Hoo! Sent home. Result!
    jealous.jpg
  • Given the weather though - do you spend the afternoon enjoying the sunshine on your bike and then watch the highlights later, or sat indoors watching the Giro...??
  • rick_chasey
    Given the weather though - do you spend the afternoon enjoying the sunshine on your bike and then watch the highlights later, or sat indoors watching the Giro...??

Who said all pro-cycling fans like actually cycling?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Mrs has taken the baby out all day today so I was toying with the idea of leaving early to watch today's stage, just as I was thinking about it a re-tender document for my biggest customer popped up on my e-mail, which I really ought to make a start on...decisions, decisions.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Given the weather though - do you spend the afternoon enjoying the sunshine on your bike and then watch the highlights later, or sat indoors watching the Giro...??

Who said all pro-cycling fans like actually cycling?

They all do. Apart from Iain, obviously. :lol:
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364

I'm in San Diego so I'll be watching the Giro stage and when it finishes I'll head out for 70 miles through the hills. It's sunny here too :D sometimes jetlag has its advantages.

Did I mention I'm being paid to be here?
  • knedlicky
    Rabottini going for another epic ride? Perhaps more likely just out to reinforce his mountains jersey?

Whether Astana are planning something, however?

5-50 lead for Seeldraeyers (AST), Samoilau (MOV), Rabottini (FAR), Montaguti (ALM), and Serpa (AND).
  • rick_chasey
    Seeldraeyers can climb too.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    edited May 2012
    Edit - wrong thread :oops:

Hoping today's stage will make being stuck home on sick leave more bareable.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    Hopefully not too late stage 17 Rujano please.

Stage 18 Cav

Wrong thread mate.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    The usual live feeds are on early today.
  • RichN95.

I've got a knee injury, so I couldn't even if I wanted to