To those with white bar tape - what do you clean it with?

13»

Comments

• Not at all. I believe the qualities of bar tape and car paint are somewhat different ;-)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Redsteveb wrote:
    Not at all. I believe the qualities of bar tape and car paint are somewhat different ;-)

Indeed they are...the properties of Autoglym however remain exaclty the same :wink:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I use (steal) my wifes Nivea cleanser wipes, they don't harm the tape, but bring the white up a treat. I also use it on my white leather saddle, also works very well.
    Ridley Orion
  • Citris duster spray and a good rub, or as suggested baby wipes!
  • I heard someone recommending furniture polish - worth a try!
  • Never clean it. It should be seen as a cyclist badge of honour. mine is a grey off white with oil stains and ground in grime and every time i look at it i remember all of the hard earned miles.
    Hills hurt but sofas kill.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Phill B wrote:
    Never clean it. It should be seen as a cyclist badge of honour. mine is a grey off white with oil stains and ground in grime and every time i look at it i remember all of the hard earned miles.

If you put as much effort into your bike maintenance as you did on concocting that reply you would have clean bar tape :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • A good quality ACP and a soft scrubbing brush is all you need, also do it regularly and it will last longer, when the dirt becomes ingrained its over
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Cilit Bang Bleach cleaner and a nail brush used to work for me, then I got fed up with it and stuck black bar tape on.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Fire. Then put black tape on.
  • When it comes to wrapping bars, there are many classy possibilities – black is always stylish and versatile (you can dress it up or you can dress it down), red is fast, celeste is classic – but for Bike #1, I always choose white not because it’s Pro, but because when I go out, I ride like a leader.
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • Cif
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Phill B wrote:
    Never clean it. It should be seen as a cyclist badge of honour. mine is a grey off white with oil stains and ground in grime and every time i look at it i remember all of the hard earned miles.

If you put as much effort into your bike maintenance as you did on concocting that reply you would have clean bar tape :lol:

Not quite true - the failure to capitalise the "I's" is proof that even if he does try, his bar tape will still always be a disgrace!

Anyway, why are we even having this discussion. White bar tape is no longer 'Pro' so we don't need to bother with it anymore! :lol:

Edit: crikey - is this National Thread Resurrection Month?!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Cif

What... The comment is free section of The Guardian ? Often abbreviated to cif by hardcore Corbynites.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Muc Off bike cleaner (the pink stuff). Spray it on, massage in with your hands, maybe use a nail brush and/or chain degreaser on the stubborn areas. Rinse off, comes up like new. As long as your gloves/mitts are clean the tape doesn't get too grubby. I do mine about once a month. When I got the bike I thought I'd be changing the bar tape almost immediately for red or black, but over two years on it's still there. And of course, as someone else said, black tape isn't any cleaner than white, you just can't see the dirt.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    New white bar tape always worked for me.
  • never clean it looks hard