To those with white bar tape - what do you clean it with?

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Let us be under no illusions here - people with black tape simply have dirty tape but are happy that they can not see the dirt. Those with white tape know when it is dirty and want to clean it :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    smidsy wrote:
    Let us be under no illusions here - people with black tape simply have dirty tape but are happy that they can not see the dirt. Those with white tape know when it is dirty and want to clean it :-)

This is true. It is why people who say that black bikes are easier to keep clean are hopelessly wrong. Black bikes are actually hell to keep clean as it is hard to see which bits are clean and which are not.

However, what you missed is in your second sentence. I'll fix it for you!
    smidsy wrote:
    Those with white tape know when it is dirty and want to clean it but generally can't be bothered and live with a scruffy looking bike!

BTW to these tricks work on the foamy sort of white bar tape. I tried cleaning the tape of a mates Bianchi (a bit pointless as he is the sort of person who covers anything white with muck as soon as he sees it) and failed miserably.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Okay, personal result so far:

GT85 - 0
    Soapy water + old (or wifes) toothbrush - 1
  • Davey C
    Davey C Posts: 80
    Flash spray with bleach.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Tippex, simple.
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    I find the beat method is to remove the tape and place in bin, then replace with black bar tape.

Rule 8.
  • MartinB2444
    MartinB2444 Posts: 266
    Don't clean it! Have the rest of your bike looking pristine but the tale of the tape show that you actually ride the thing.

Martin
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    warm soapy water and a fresh scourer sponge. When that stops working its new tape time. Nobody is going to stand inches from my bike bars to observe the odd stain, anyway.
  • furiousd
    furiousd Posts: 214
    As above, baby wipes work a treat.
    D
  • Redsteveb
    Redsteveb Posts: 201
    Try a little bleach, mixed with plenty of warm water...works a treat.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Seriously? 3 f'in pages on keeping white bar tape clean!!
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Redsteveb
    Redsteveb Posts: 201
    Sorry, Aggieboy, what's your problem? A valid question was posted in the right forum...if it offends you then so be it.
  • kisertn
    kisertn Posts: 1
    Frustrating to read so many idiot posts on switching to colored tape (read the post header before posting).

I have white tape, plan to stay with white tape, think it looks waaaayyyyy better than colored tape (at least on my bike) and so am interested in how to tend to it so that it lasts as long as possible. To asnwer the original poster in the spirit of the question posed, I use Wesley's Bleach White, I find it at car care stores. Designed to whiten the white stripe or letters on some care tires. It's not perfect, and it still requires elbow grease - but with care I can get a set of white handlebar tape to last 3-6 months.
  • king_jeffers
    haha I'm loving this has went 3 pages. Everything from carpet cleaner to GT85 :lol:

Soapy water works + toothbrush, baby wipes not so good. Not yet tried bicarb soda, bleach or replaced with black tape :wink:

Think I'll probably get another coupe of months then switch to Fizik tape (white), see how it goes.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Anyone tried Muck Off's WBT (white bar tape) cleanser?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ByTa7yPJc
  • coombsfh
    coombsfh Posts: 186
    I dont any more. Gave up after first couple of tries.
  • Lucky Douglas
    Lucky Douglas Posts: 155
    The best solution I've found is lemon furniture polish applied with a white tea towel then rinsed off
  • steve_muzzy
    steve_muzzy Posts: 259
    I have yellow and found hope sh@t shifter sprayed on, left for 5 then rinsed works a treat
  • I have deda's white carbon effect bar tape. Wipes clean and I get to giggle every time I see it!
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    Very interesting as after only after 100 miles the tape's looking dirty. I'll use my favourite all purpose cleaner - White Spirit - and then wash down afterwards. When the white tape gives up the ghost, I'll swap it out, probably for white again 'cos I'm stupid.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • king_jeffers
    White tape has gone :cry:

7304389734_587b13bf8c.jpg
  • my new bike not been delivered yet and im already wishing it never had white tape now lol
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    WHITE. It's the new black.
    Baby wipes.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    I can't be bothered reading through all this but has anybody posted about Cif?

I use Cif on my white bar tape and it works a treat
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    what is cif?
  • smidsy
    Used to be called Jif when I was a lad (bloomin Brussells changed that).

Basically cream cleaner designed for cleaning kitchen surfaces etc. It is mildly abrasive though.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I don't clean it. Two years in, been changed once for a specialized tape and its a greyish colour at contact points with occasional oily streaks. Drive train is cleaned and lubed almost every ride, bike is wiped with baby wipes at least once a week and washed if its been out in wet dirty conditions but tape is never cleaned. I always wear gloves and try not to touch the bars with mucky hands if I'm cleaning / fettling. Next bike will have black tape!
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Baby wipes.

Grease, sick, cam-cream, days of underarm clag and even luminous orange curry liqueur - there is nothing baby wipes can't deal with. The real miracle is that babies don't end up with with 3rd degree burns after each nappy change.
  • Autoglym car polish (the one with the red label) comes up a treat.
  • smidsy
    Redsteveb wrote:
    Autoglym car polish (the one with the red label) comes up a treat.

And makes the bars very slippy I imagine.
    Yellow is the new Black.