To those with white bar tape - what do you clean it with?

king_jeffers
king_jeffers Posts: 694
edited September 2015 in Road beginners
New bike, white bar tape, love the look put after two rides its picked up a couple of stains, any ideas on what to clean it with?

Here : http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... -tape-bike they recommend oven cleaner!!!?!?!

A youtube video suggested furniture polish - this didn't work. Also tried dabbing with a bit of kitchen cleaner, no joy. Not sure if carpet cleaner might do the trick? Any ideas?!

Comments

• ba68
    ba68 Posts: 156
    First of all I would recommend you wear mits and wash them regularly, I used to have white tape and used vanish stain remover which worked well. However you need to accept that white tape won't stay pearly white for long.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Baby wipes often do the trick. You can clean almost anything on a bike with them.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Is this a trick question? :?
    Black/coloured bar tape? ;)
    HTH :mrgreen:
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Carefully apply a thin layer of black bar tape over the bar tape. I think you'll find then it stays clean for ages!

Unless it is the vinyl style Fizik stuff, I doubt you'll keep it clean.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • king_jeffers
    Rolf F wrote:
    Carefully apply a thin layer of black bar tape over the bar tape. I think you'll find then it stays clean for ages!

Unless it is the vinyl style Fizik stuff, I doubt you'll keep it clean.

Will give it a blast cleaning later on, failing that might go for another colour :-/
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    smidsy wrote:
    Baby wipes often do the trick. You can clean almost anything on a bike with them.

This. Cleans white bar tape a treat.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Extralight
    Extralight Posts: 136
    White bar tape does indeed look good, when it's new. I used to use warm soapy water made up with quite a lot of fairy liquid (other brands are available) in it. This would get it quite clean, but could leave it feeling a bit sticky, so sometimes needed wiping again with just water.

However, I run black tape now, and it looks almost as good. No cleaning required!
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Change it to black - it's the rules

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I had white tape on a previous bike and it didn't get very dirty - although I id ride a lot in the rain... :)
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Spit & Elbow grease
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Fizik Microtek stuff is relatively easy to clean with most things but I have a bike with some Cinelli white tape and just don't clean it. I gave up on it some time ago as it is more effort than I can be bothered with (I am certainly not going to be donning rubber gloves and using oven cleaner, etc.). Looks ok in minging white, gives the bike a nice 'used' feel.
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    I'm riding white bar tape. Wear mitts and they dont get dirty much. If they do get dirty, soapy water and a sponge works.
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    Black, black, black. I fought a long and hard battle trying to keep my white bar tape and saddle sparkling white...but gave up and went for black. And now my life is complete.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Fizik Microtex has a reputation for staying white.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The Fizik also comes in a gloss finish option so it cleans nicely too if it does get dirt on it.

The gloss looks the mutts too - I have Black gloss.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    as above, fizik microtex tape if you want it to stay white longer and be easy to clean

a bit of washing up liquid on a wet cloth cleans it up very well
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • king_jeffers
    Fizik Microtex has a reputation for staying white.

I've had this bookmarked for a while now over at Wiggle... will see how I get on. Great reviews
  • i cant stand black bar tape, i keep my white bar tape clean with cream cleaner. it works a treat.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Who the hell wants to spend precious time cleaning bar tape?

Black.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    i cant stand black bar tape, i keep my white bar tape clean with cream cleaner. it works a treat.

+1 - something like Jif seems to work well on most makes of white bar tape (although the Fizik Microtex on my best bike is usually fine with just the baby ass wipes)
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    nochekmate wrote:
    i cant stand black bar tape, i keep my white bar tape clean with cream cleaner. it works a treat.

+1 - something like Jif seems to work well on most makes of white bar tape

+1 - Jif/Cif does the job nicely.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I just use Fairy Liquid on a cloth for my white saddle and this usually works for me. I got the lbs to put black tape on the bike before I picked it up though, I thought the white tape was too much as the bars are painted white also.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    However, do note that you never actually see bikes with clean white bar tape on the roads unless virtually new or if they are Microtex'd. In other words, in theory you can keep them clean but in practice you (mostly) won't!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I just slap it on when I am washing my bike. Easy!
  • pdsalmon
    pdsalmon Posts: 55
    Vanish power foam....

Spary on, leave 5 mins, scrub off with a rag, brush etc
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Buy new every month or replace your tape and saddle for black because you just can't be bothered to clean them anymore, then you'll realise that black looks better anyway.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    klep wrote:
    I'm riding white bar tape. Wear mitts and they dont get dirty much. If they do get dirty, soapy water and a sponge works.
    yes indeed - once a week - and i also find buying mitts with lighter palms works too
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • TrickyGB
    TrickyGB Posts: 81
    Spray GT85 onto some plain white kitchen roll, rub on bar tape. Works a treat. Read it in a magazine somewhere and swear by it
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    I now have black bar tape, however when i had white, i first used Jiff, but that started turning the tape a slight yellowish colour, then went onto Groom car upholstery cleaner, its a foam spray, spray it on, it fizzles and eats into the dirt, then whipe it off a few minutes later, works a treat.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255236

Just not as good as Black tape :wink:
  • Polkascott
    Polkascott Posts: 34
    Bicarb of Soda and wet cloth. Easy!