Best towns/cities in Britain

13»

Comments

• 2Phat4Rapha
    2Phat4Rapha Posts: 238
    (Devizes isn't that special for a start)

I once knew a girl from Devizes
    She had breasts of different sizes.
    One was small, hardly anything at all
    But the other was huge and won prizes.

boom boom

I'll get me coat.
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    I'd quite happily live in Cambridge if I could afford it.. Although sometimes the students are a pain in the ars* they give the city such an energy, it's a very youthful place. Amazing architecture and history from the colleges. Driving can be a pain in the ars* and parking is very expensive but if I lived there I'd be whizzing round on my bike. Lots of green areas and parks too. And 15 mins from the town centre (traffic permitting!) you are in the countryside.

Grew up there.

It's really not all that.

Beyond the pretty centre, which is great, it's basically a Fenland town, with all the things that go with that - sour people, crime, inbreeding, murders, ineffective police, violence against young people etc.

Please don't say you are putting Cambridge on a par with Wisbech or even god-forbid Chatteris!!!

And yes it is incredibly expensive in places, hence saying if I could afford it!

Ha, no it's not quite like chatteris. I once spent a Saturday night out in Chatteris. Enough said.

The locals in Cambridge are still sour East Anglians though.

Arbury, king's hedges, even bits of chesteron are all awful - let alone the "zone 1" villages like Histon, Milton etc. (especially Histon. Proper hole).

I officially grew up in Girton on the town side (near Girton college). Strange place. All built along one long small road. Splits into three. Town side is like a town suburb, the middle is all problematic council estates (the bit just past the bridge over the A14) and the back end is all villagey again (near the school & churches).

I do probably look at Cambridge with rose-tinted Oakleys.. I went to uni there (the ex-poly) and coming from a tiny village in Lincolnshire it all seemed big and exciting. I had a brilliant time at college and lived there for a few years after too. I could never afford to live in cambridge where I'd like to anyway..
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Oakham (Rutland) - the only town i'd actually move back to after leaving

Living very close to Oakham I couldn't agree more. Rutland is the only place I found that I truly love after escaping the hell hole that is Grantham. The village that myself and OMAHB live in is just perfect, 3 pubs, a fantastic shop, and a community centre with a skate park for the kids and a bowling green for the not so kid like.

Really couldn't ask for more, and we get the battiest neighbours thrown in for good measure :D

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk