Best towns/cities in Britain

Comments

• Redhog14 wrote:
    I like the look of Brighton and Kendal.

Well, I didn't want to be the first to mention it so I'm glad someone else has said Kendal.

Perfect for me: halfway between climbing in the Lake District and caving in the Yorkshire Dales, with plenty of great cycling on road, and on the hills, right on my doorstep. I've lived here for most of my life and the older I get the more I like living here. There aren't many other places that I would consider moving to but one of them is where I went to school, Appleby.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Shrewsbury in (Shropshire ..... Cycling Heaven), well in the UK anyway...... or
    Ludlow in yes you guessed it Shropshire.
    Shrewsbury:- http://www.picturesofengland.com/Englan ... es/1130532
    Ludlow:- http://www.picturesofengland.com/Englan ... es/1019649
    I'm lucky to live just 8 miles from Shrewsbury :)
    I have to agree about Shresbury, beautiful town and great cycling in the Shropshire hills.

But I also want to put Cannock in the list. OK we could do with more hills to make it cycling heaven, but it's great for MTB and road cycling. It always surprises me when people rant about car drivers being rude to cyclists, I've only ever known good manners when cycling on the roads around Cannock and Rugeley.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I like Buxton. Right in the lovely Peak District, nice architecture, and it's got a miniature steam train - what more could you want? :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Rolf F wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    Look very, very carefully. And don't focus too much on one part of the page.

D'oh! Got you now. But it was better just as towns. Cities are kind of too easy. Mostly the nice cities are well known for being nice and the duff ones well known for being duff. So you just get arguments from, for example, people living in Liverpool trying to make out it somehow isn't a total dump despite the overwhelming evidence otherwise! :lol:

have you ever been to Liverpool? i didnt know Leeds was paradise- its not for sheep.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Ron Stuart wrote:

Shrewsbury and Ludlow were among the first places into my head but I haven't been to either for about 20 years so wasn't sure if they were still up to scratch. It's hard to get places that retain their character but still have plenty going on or that have good access to larger areas for entertainment. Cheltenham would possibly be another for the list. Warwick seems OK from my brief visits.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Pross wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

Shrewsbury and Ludlow were among the first places into my head but I haven't been to either for about 20 years so wasn't sure if they were still up to scratch. It's hard to get places that retain their character but still have plenty going on or that have good access to larger areas for entertainment. Cheltenham would possibly be another for the list. Warwick seems OK from my brief visits.

Come and do this.... http://www.shropshirehighlandschallenge.co.uk/ you can check out Ludlow and the Wonderful 'Blue Remembered Hills" A.E. Housman! best tenner's worth out there. :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    have you ever been to Liverpool? i didnt know Leeds was paradise- its not for sheep.

Of course I have - that's how I know how grim it is. Getting worse too by the look of these new waterfront developments.

Didn't say Leeds was paradise but it's in a different league to Liverpool. What's with the sheep thing?

Kendal is an odd one - a bit shabby for Lakeland tourist land but probably quite nice to live in.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • SickAsAParrot
    SickAsAParrot Posts: 212
    Alsager is quite nice, it has a pond surrounded by houses you can go and look at, and a charity shop with some scientology books. Also my dentist is there.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Rolf F wrote:

Of course I have - that's how I know how grim it is. Getting worse too by the look of these new waterfront developments.

Didn't say Leeds was paradise but it's in a different league to Liverpool. What's with the sheep thing?

Kendal is an odd one - a bit shabby for Lakeland tourist land but probably quite nice to live in.

sheep? its rumoured wools from yarkshire enjoy the company of sheep?

i'd love to know the appeal of leeds- have harehills and chapeltown been gentrified?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Pross
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

Come and do this.... http://www.shropshirehighlandschallenge.co.uk/ you can check out Ludlow and the Wonderful 'Blue Remembered Hills" A.E. Housman! best tenner's worth out there. :wink:

Might do that if I'm free, been meaning to get my bike up there for ages. Is there a link to the actual route? Does it take in the Long Mynd? We used to do weekend tours with my club to Shrewsbury and Bridgnorth but that's the limit of my riding around Shropshire (plus a race in Bridgnorth).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    SW6's alright ;).
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Manchester, Liverppppppooool, Chester - you have to put up with the weird accents in 2 of them though. :)
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Nottingham is a nice size with a good selection of shops. Lincoln is also nice as is York.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Pross wrote:

Might do that if I'm free, been meaning to get my bike up there for ages. Is there a link to the actual route? Does it take in the Long Mynd? We used to do weekend tours with my club to Shrewsbury and Bridgnorth but that's the limit of my riding around Shropshire (plus a race in Bridgnorth).

Route is different each year and it comes like an Audax route sheet a couple of weeks or so before the ride. It went over the Long Mynd a few years ago. It will almost certainly take in a few steep inclines and small lanes that I feel sure will be the case.
    I am lucky as I recce the route before the event as I'm retired now.
    Check out their facebook page link on website. 8)
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Rolf F wrote:
    Anyway, for a start, look at the list here. It isn't exactly a list of the best (Devizes isn't that special for a start)

I can think of 6(X) good things that Devizes has going for it. Yum. ;)

Chichester hasn't got a mention yet - a nice pleasant city, excellent cathedral, ancient walls, compact but seems to squeeze a lot into its confines. Not quite as touristy as Winchester so I often head over there by way of an escape, plus the shopping on offer seems better and suited to a wider range of pockets, not just the well-off.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Pross
    Quite a few nice towns in the Cotswolds which, like some in Cornwall and Devon, suffer from being favourites for the city slickers weekend homes but also benefit as a result with some decent shops and restaurants.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Glasgow - Your only 10mins on your bike till your out in the country.
  • bartman100
    bartman100 Posts: 544
    it's quite obviously......

Z444.jpg

BATH
  • TOWN - Malvern! Absolutely gorgeous, and also great for riding in the surrounding areas.

CITY - Little more difficult as obviously you have to take into account that every city has bad spots. For example, I like Bristol, but it has one of the worst estates in the country!

That being said, London goes without saying - its the best city in the world!!! After that i would say York as its close to the dales and also has a really nice centre!
  • bartman100
    For example, I like Bristol, but it has one of the worst estates in the country!
    which estate?
  • Knowel West and Easton are both pretty rough! Just using it as an example (hope I haven't offended anyone). Same with oxford - lovely city but Blackbird Leys has a notoriously bad reputation!
  • bartman100
    if you'd have said Barton Hill, then I would have been offended! I'd take Easton over Southmead and Hartcliffe any day.

Agree about Oxford - lovely city.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    I'd quite happily live in Cambridge if I could afford it.. Although sometimes the students are a pain in the arse they give the city such an energy, it's a very youthful place. Amazing architecture and history from the colleges. Driving can be a pain in the arse and parking is very expensive but if I lived there I'd be whizzing round on my bike. Lots of green areas and parks too. And 15 mins from the town centre (traffic permitting!) you are in the countryside.
  • Where I grew up was compared to Baghdad by a mirror journalist! I personally think it was a bit of a harsh comparison! Baghdad has much better weather!

http://www.bucksherald.co.uk/news/i_wil ... t_1_600652
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    OK if money isnt an object here (eh?) then Edinburgh would be my choice estate-the only European city we have in terms of architecture,culture,great foodie shops and pubs,literary neighbours and access to the Highlands and the coast.If I won the lottery,well,you`d be welcome to come and gawp at the new house.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    I'd quite happily live in Cambridge if I could afford it.. Although sometimes the students are a pain in the ars* they give the city such an energy, it's a very youthful place. Amazing architecture and history from the colleges. Driving can be a pain in the ars* and parking is very expensive but if I lived there I'd be whizzing round on my bike. Lots of green areas and parks too. And 15 mins from the town centre (traffic permitting!) you are in the countryside.

Bit too flat for my liking. :(

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • rick_chasey
    I'd quite happily live in Cambridge if I could afford it.. Although sometimes the students are a pain in the ars* they give the city such an energy, it's a very youthful place. Amazing architecture and history from the colleges. Driving can be a pain in the ars* and parking is very expensive but if I lived there I'd be whizzing round on my bike. Lots of green areas and parks too. And 15 mins from the town centre (traffic permitting!) you are in the countryside.

Grew up there.

It's really not all that.

Beyond the pretty centre, which is great, it's basically a Fenland town, with all the things that go with that - sour people, crime, inbreeding, murders, ineffective police, violence against young people etc.

If you're not a student you don't get a lot of access to the nice bits (the uni). Because of its proximity to London and the Science Park, you also get a big big divide between well off and local fenland poor, which causes excessive social friction - not just Town vs Gown which is a big problem (being a middle class 6th former there - you may as well be a student for the hassle you get), but just general pikeyness. The above proximity to London & the Uni/Science park means it's also very expensive.

It's got good private and state schools (so sending your kids to private school there is a class statement, not an education statement) and an excellent hospital.

Ultimately, when you've been there a bit, you realise you're still in the Fens, and the Fens is still a dump.

Can cycle pretty much everywhere though.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564

Grew up there.

Beyond the pretty centre, which is great, it's basically a Fenland town, with all the things that go with that - sour people, crime, inbreeding, murders, ineffective police, violence against young people etc.

Please don't say you are putting Cambridge on a par with Wisbech or even god-forbid Chatteris!!!

And yes it is incredibly expensive in places, hence saying if I could afford it!
  • rick_chasey

Grew up there.

Please don't say you are putting Cambridge on a par with Wisbech or even god-forbid Chatteris!!!

And yes it is incredibly expensive in places, hence saying if I could afford it!

Ha, no it's not quite like chatteris. I once spent a Saturday night out in Chatteris. Enough said.

The locals in Cambridge are still sour East Anglians though.

Arbury, king's hedges, even bits of chesteron are all awful - let alone the "zone 1" villages like Histon, Milton etc. (especially Histon. Proper hole).

I officially grew up in Girton on the town side (near Girton college). Strange place. All built along one long small road. Splits into three. Town side is like a town suburb, the middle is all problematic council estates (the bit just past the bridge over the A14) and the back end is all villagey again (near the school & churches).
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Rolf F wrote:
    people living in Liverpool trying to make out it somehow isn't a total dump despite the overwhelming evidence otherwise! :lol:

Liverpool aint that bad to be fair, there are a whole lotta worse places to be

Blackpool for starters...St Helens?

Leeds is an odd one, last time i was there it was full of oddballs driving around in modded Astra vans driving as fast as they could between speed cameras

nothing says classy as wheel spinning away doing traffic light grand prix
    Keeping it classy since '83