Bye Bye Sky TV for Me.

Comments

• p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    It must be just me then. If I didnt need a TV to watch DVDs on I wouldn't even pay for a TV licence.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    p9uma wrote:
    It must be just me then. If I didnt need a TV to watch DVDs on I wouldn't even pay for a TV licence.
    PC & large screen monitor. Sorted.
    Don't think you can get 50" monitors though. Yet.

Nothing I watch is unavailable on the net. Therefore getting rid of the TV would be easy.
    Just got to convince the wife. :!:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    p9uma wrote:

Been without a TV for just over a year now, I do like a good film however so I bought a projector and hooked it up to my pc.
  • p9uma
    p9uma wrote:

Been without a TV for just over a year now, I do like a good film however so I bought a projector and hooked it up to my pc.

Cool, that would work. Would you care to share which one?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Got ride of Sky last month, bought Apple TV and Eurosport Player sub. Can still watch cycling in HD on big TV. Simples.

Does that mean you have to download the Eurosport App and pay for a subscription through that? IMO it's a joke that they make you pay once for online access to Eurosport through PC/Mac and then force you to pay again for the same content on your iPad/iPhone/Apple TV. One subscription should cover you across all platforms.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Rigged wrote:
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Got ride of Sky last month, bought Apple TV and Eurosport Player sub. Can still watch cycling in HD on big TV. Simples.

Does that mean you have to download the Eurosport App and pay for a subscription through that? IMO it's a joke that they make you pay once for online access to Eurosport through PC/Mac and then force you to pay again for the same content on your iPad/iPhone/Apple TV. One subscription should cover you across all platforms.

If their was a proper HD version of eurosport on the Apple Tv or Ps3 then i would too most likely drop Sky.

I used to have the whole monty but know just the Entertainment HD pack.

Movies i stream via the USA version of Netflix. Much cheaper at only £5.99 per month
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    APIII wrote:
    The giro in HD makes it worthwhile for me.

[Boring tosser mode /ON] The Giro isn't on in HD. The one on Eurosport HD is just an SD picture. RAI don't film the Giro in HD.

[Boring tosser mode /OFF]
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • verylonglegs
    p9uma wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-HD600X-L ... m_sbs_ce_1

Using one of these at the moment, nothing too flash. The world of projectors is very much like bikes, you can soon become very nerdy about it and spend £££'s.

If you do get rid of your TV be prepared for the TV licensing to give you ballache for a bit with threatening letters as they refuse to believe someone can live without one. I just chuck them in the bin now however.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    p9uma wrote:

Don't have TV licenses here it's all collected as part of your electricity bill.

I have installed solar power and not connected to the grid, so no electricity bill :D

And yet I still would not have a TV in the house!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Rigged wrote:
    Beatmaker wrote:

Unfortunately so, but I don't need access on my PC, just my iPad. It is a joke though, I may email Eurosport and ask why they do this.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker wrote:

I love Football and F1 too much to get rid of Sky

-Premier league
    -La Liga
    -Champions league
    -Full F1 coverage (as opposed to the BBC's crappy highlights)

and Sky Go is awesome -> a big selection of films, and I can watch all my live sport on my laptop.

I was the same until recently when I've come to the conclusion it's time to turn my back on football, with the vitriol from both players and fans alike this season. If I still watched football, there is no way I'd be dropping Sky.
  • p9uma
    p9uma wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-HD600X-L ... m_sbs_ce_1

Using one of these at the moment, nothing too flash. The world of projectors is very much like bikes, you can soon become very nerdy about it and spend £££'s.

If you do get rid of your TV be prepared for the TV licensing to give you ballache for a bit with threatening letters as they refuse to believe someone can live without one. I just chuck them in the bin now however.

Thanks for the link, I shall do some research.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Beatmaker wrote:

an idiot asks 'how does this work?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker wrote:

Its pretty simple really, Apple TV plugs into your TV through HDMI and is on your WiFi network. You then start the Eurosport feed through your Apple device or PC (which has to be on the same WiFi network) and you can 'send' the picture to your big tele through the Airplay feature.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    did sky some years ago - never watched it enough to justify the cost (not enough hours in the day for that TBH) - watch less TV now than I ever did - its just a time killer, when you could be doing something else like riding, bike tinkering, or even 'TALKING' to others in the house - oops sorry, is that too radical?
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Beatmaker wrote:

Its pretty simple really, Apple TV plugs into your TV through HDMI and is on your WiFi network. You then start the Eurosport feed through your Apple device or PC (which has to be on the same WiFi network) and you can 'send' the picture to your big tele through the Airplay feature.

i have all these gizmos- i shall give this a try! cheers! :D

addendum- there doesnt seem to be an airplay button on the player on my mac using firefox- is this only enabled on the ipad app?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Beatmaker wrote:

i have all these gizmos- i shall give this a try! cheers! :D

addendum- there doesnt seem to be an airplay button on the player on my mac using firefox- is this only enabled on the ipad app?
    I think AirPlay is only available for iPad and iPhone. There's a third party app called airfoil which allows you to stream audio to an airport network linked up to your stereo so perhaps there's a similar 3rd party app available for AirPlay too?
  • Porkyboy
    Porkyboy Posts: 433
    Hi

Just in case there is anyone out there who is thinking of signing up for SKY TV at the moment. As an existing customer I just received a voucher if it's of any interest to anyone, if I introduce someone both the new customer and I both get a £75 M&S voucher so quite a decent offer if you are thinking of getting SKY anyway.

Drop me a PM if it's of any interest!

Q
  • guy.spartacus
    guy.spartacus Posts: 321
    I find it funny how the people who don't have a TV and haven't watched a live TV programme for 'years' are always the first to say there's nothing worth watching

How would you know?!
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • Porkyboy
    I find it funny how the people who don't have a TV and haven't watched a live TV programme for 'years' are always the first to say there's nothing worth watching How would you know?!

Must admit I definitely watch more TV now that I have SKY as there is so much good stuff on. Some of the documentaries, natural history, history and science stuff is just fantastic and I see things I'd simply never have seen otherwise. Plenty of junk of course but SKY+ makes it just like having your own TV channel with just the stuff that interests you, and all the adverts skimmed out :D

Q
  • team47b
    I find it funny how the people who don't have a TV and haven't watched a live TV programme for 'years' are always the first to say there's nothing worth watching

How would you know?!

Because the 'watchers' tell us, what's on TV, constantly, on and fcucking on, about how bad it is, until someone suggests turning it off, then it's brilliant... :D

please stay calm, I'm not suggesting you stop watching, just answering the question you asked of us non TV owners
  • guy.spartacus
    guy.spartacus Posts: 321
    STAY CALM!?!

HOW DARE YOU!
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • team47b
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    team47b wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

Don't have TV licenses here it's all collected as part of your electricity bill.

I have installed solar power and not connected to the grid, so no electricity bill :D

Some of us need cookery programmes. We don't all live on Trill and lettuce.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • team47b
    Aggieboy wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

Some of us need cookery programmes. We don't all live on Trill and lettuce.

Spot on as usual, how did you know that millet is my favourite? Not tried the trill brand, is it a budget one! :oops:
  • p9uma

How would you know?!

You make a good point. I can not speak for others, but the last time I watched tv it was shit, and it had been sh!t for a long time, the reason it was shit is because children with a media study degree, could not think of anything original to make with the amount of money they had, so they made sh!t programmes. We all switched the telly on and said "what is this sh!t"? "Oh well there is nothing on well have to watch this sh!t". All the children with media study degrees leapt up in joy and said "oh look, all the people are watching the sh!t tv we made, lets make more sh!t tv for them", so we turned on the telly and found even more sh!t to watch and so it goes...

So I turned of my tv when I decided I didn't want to watch another programme about how a tv celebrity could make someone's house prettier. With a programme budget of £100,000.00 per episode one DIY Programme Hosted by Carol Vorderman managed to increase the value of someone's property by £7,500.00! All that in the name of entertainment.

No ta. I'll pass thanks.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I too have SKY and pay £38:00 a month (I have HD Channels) and to be fair the HD is a massive improvement over the norm,but in relation to the channels i could quite happily ditch everything apart from the Discovery channel/and the other documentry channels.

My biggest bug bare tho is that my Mrs for love nor money will not put on the HD channels as she can never remember what numbers they are on...

i do wish SKY would sort it so that BBC1 HD would be on channel 101 rather than 143,and ITV1 HD on 103 rather than 178,and so on .....
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • verylonglegs

How would you know?!

Any TV listings sites will provide that information. Also team47b does actually have a valid point regarding how ingrained TV is in our culture. I listen to a lot of radio like 5live and it has meant that despite having only watched one episode of the apprentice when it first started I am still aware of people like that twunt who called himself 'The brand' during a series not so long ago. It's amazing how much time on the radio is spent talking about TV and having guests on from the world of television to bore the tits off you about their shows.
  • Porkyboy
    I too have SKY and pay £38:00 a month (I have HD Channels) and to be fair the HD is a massive improvement over the norm,but in relation to the channels i could quite happily ditch everything apart from the Discovery channel/and the other documentry channels.

My biggest bug bare tho is that my Mrs for love nor money will not put on the HD channels as she can never remember what numbers they are on...

i do wish SKY would sort it so that BBC1 HD would be on channel 101 rather than 143,and ITV1 HD on 103 rather than 178,and so on .....

I agree, the HD stuff is fantastic and SD looks like a really poor relation now. I found the easiest thing to do was to set up all the HD channels in the "Favourites" listing, it soon becomes the default place to look for the channel you want and you only list all the HD channels, works for us!

Q
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 227
    I had the full sky package until I left the UK, we then had 6 years of DVD only TV viewing. When we came back we got a Freesat HD box and quickly realised how annoying TV with adverts is.

Now we have kids, the TV does not get switched on until 8.30 at the earliest, we can stay awake until just gone 10 and then to bed. We still get DVD's from Lovefilm so that's the majority of our 90ish minute viewing. iplayer and 4OD also get used a lot through the PS3.

I thought I'd miss F1 on the BBC so was considering Sky for that, but then I realised I barely get time to watch the highlights so I really wouldn't get time to watch the full race package so didn't bother.

I don't watch football anymore either so I don't feel like I'm missing anything.