Bye Bye Sky TV for Me.

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited May 2012 in The bottom bracket
Service finishes this week after terminating contract. Apart from the cycling on Eurosport, I cannot justify paying even £1 per month for the service. And the real bonus will be no more regurgitated viewings of Mock the Week on Dave and that Tw4t Russell Howard.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Dave is available on freeview. HTH.
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    bye bye tv if it was up to me
    with three lasses in the house, there's nee chance of that
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    wiffachip wrote:
    bye bye tv if it was up to me
    with three lasses in the house, there's nee chance of that

Same here, I'd get rid of it if weren't for missus and problem chimp.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    LOVE sky TV.

But I watch a lot of TV.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Stop staring at the furniture :shock:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    I love Dave. But then he is my brother....

Russell Howard? HELL YEAH!!!!! If I had an "Allowed List" he'd be top, just for the humour.

Anyhows, wish me luck.

love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • postman
    postman Posts: 120
    Same here once the kids have gone to uni.It's going out.I am not paying Virgin for repeats every day.Same prog can be seen on a different channel within the hour.And i am sure commercial breaks are longer and more often.TV is crap compared to the 60's.Rant over.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Sky TV is by far the premium TV supplier. The main channels (which are also available on Freeview), are full of crap, but a lot of the other channels have great documentaries and really interesting stuff.

There is also Anytime and Anytime plus, and all the movies.

I'm all for doing something rather than watching the telly, but if you're going to sit infront of the shiny picture box, you really need Sky.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    The giro in HD makes it worthwhile for me.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    I have a tv, and we have a small tv room, so that it is not in our main living area. The upside of this is that because the tv is out of sight and out of mind, it never gets switched on. I haven't watched a tv programm live for over 7 years, and the latest programme I did watch was the last series of top gear which I recorded.

So now the only time I do switch on the TV is to watch a DVD, so we only really use the TV as movie monitor. We have a free view doodad but I don't know how to use it! Only because I can't be arsed to learn though.

I have a freind that's got a couple of teenage chavvies, and he and his missus were having some attitude problems with them. Normal teenage stuff, idle, not doing as they were asked, rudeness, sitting in front of the box. So he cut off all the plugs with a Stanley knife. Boy did it all kick off at first, but after a couple of months he replugged all gear, the kids calmed down sorted themselves out and they are more co-operative now.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • team47b
    p9uma wrote:
    I have a freind that's got a couple of teenage chavvies, and he and his missus were having some attitude problems with them. Normal teenage stuff, idle, not doing as they were asked, rudeness, sitting in front of the box. So he cut off all the plugs with a Stanley knife. Boy did it all kick off at first, but after a couple of months he replugged all gear, the kids calmed down sorted themselves out and they are more co-operative now.

Not watched a TV at all for the last 6 years, strange but I think the opposite is true I am now idle, not doing as I'm asked, rude, to be fair I think it's my age :shock:
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    team47b wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

Not watched a TV at all for the last 6 years, strange but I think the opposite is true I am now idle, not doing as I'm asked, rude, to be fair I think it's my age :shock:

It's your diet.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • team47b
    Aggieboy wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

It's your diet.

yep, too old to chew anything but tofu! :D
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    team47b wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

Maybe you just turned into a Commuter!! :P :P
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Turned off Sky 2 weeks ago and all I miss is the Sky+ feature. The OH is not quite so happy, as now we have to sit through the ad breaks with me ranting and huffing at them. Boy, if that actually sells stuff to people then we are a serious bunch of numpties! Worked out I was paying over £300 per year for "entertainment" and someone highlighted that was the cost of a decent wheel...
  • p9uma
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Turned off Sky 2 weeks ago and all I miss is the Sky+ feature. The OH is not quite so happy, as now we have to sit through the ad breaks with me ranting and huffing at them. Boy, if that actually sells stuff to people then we are a serious bunch of numpties! Worked out I was paying over £300 per year for "entertainment" and someone highlighted that was the cost of a decent wheel...

£300 a year! Is that how much it costs! Bloody hell!
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Redhog14 wrote:

So how many years were you paying that? And what level of bike could you have bought instead? (Think - 10 years of Sky = a Sky Dogma frameset if you are into such things!) :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • team47b
    team47b wrote:
    p9uma wrote:

Maybe you just turned into a Commuter!! :P :P

Nah, they wouldn't let me join as I refused to get a job!
  • beancounter
    beancounter Posts: 369
    p9uma wrote:
    Redhog14 wrote:

You're joking - I've got the full package including sport and films, plus HD and multi-room = £72.50 a month.

That's £870 a year.

Ouch

bc
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • p9uma
    p9uma wrote:
    Redhog14 wrote:

You're joking - I've got the full package including sport and films, plus HD and multi-room = £72.50 a month.

That's £870 a year.

Ouch

bc

Well roger me sideways with a wooden monkey. You must be one of them millionaires! That, if you pardon my not so humble opinion, is a serious amount of wedge. From what I can ascertain there isnt anything on worth watching. May I ask, if you don't mind, do you actually get 870 queens worth of value for money out of that package? Do you watch a lot of films or sport?

£870 I can buy nearly 200 DVDs for that and watch them over and over again. Or I can go on Holiday for a week in France in a cottage.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • beancounter
    p9uma wrote:
    May I ask, if you don't mind, do you actually get 870 queens worth of value for money out of that package? Do you watch a lot of films or sport?

It's debatable if it's worth it. The wife and I do watch a lot of live sport (in HD), we find the odd film to watch and there's a lot of good US stuff on Sky Atlantic.

We're not rich but neither do we find the cost a burden, so I expect - having got it - we'll probably just carry on with it.

bc
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    Murdoch owns the SKY corporation. He is wrapped up in the most incidious corruption of British politics and the Metropolitan police. We should not be subscribing to SKY no matter what the cost out of principal. We cannot berate him on the one hand and continue to support him by buying his wares.

Anyway, Eurosport player is available on-line for much less and you get a lot of cycling on it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • p9uma
    Murdoch owns the SKY corporation. He is wrapped up in the most incidious corruption of British politics and the Metropolitan police. We should not be subscribing to SKY no matter what the cost out of principal. We cannot berate him on the one hand and continue to support him by buying his wares.

Anyway, Eurosport player is available on-line for much less and you get a lot of cycling on it.

Yeah! But no! But yeah! but wait! Doesn't his corporation support one of the most successful British cycle teams ever ever ever?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

If you follow that logic to its conclusion then you wouldn't be able to buy anything from anyone, except maybe your local farm shop.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • beancounter

If you're going to spout off a load of old cock like that, the least you can do is to spell insidious and principle correctly.

bc
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    As much as I hate Murdoch, Sky Atlantic has some brilliant television.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Got ride of Sky last month, bought Apple TV and Eurosport Player sub. Can still watch cycling in HD on big TV. Simples.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Beatmaker wrote:
    Got ride of Sky last month, bought Apple TV and Eurosport Player sub. Can still watch cycling in HD on big TV. Simples.

I love Football and F1 too much to get rid of Sky

-Premier league
    -La Liga
    -Champions league
    -Full F1 coverage (as opposed to the BBC's crappy highlights)

and Sky Go is awesome -> a big selection of films, and I can watch all my live sport on my laptop.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Sky Go is great, I can watch sport on my computer while my Mrs is watching Corrie. In the old days you used to have to pay £10/month for multiroom if you wanted to do that. I can also watch stuff on my laptop when i'm away on business.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    I'd not say I couldn't live without it but I think it's pretty damn good. I pay over £60 a month for all the movies, sports and various other packages plus phone and internet, £2-ish a day seems well worth it to me.