What's with this weather?

124»

Comments

• moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    I hope you are right.. I wanted to do a london canal ride today.... Fingers crossed..will wait till 2pm at the latest
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Raging storm outside. Wife working overtime in the study (insurance industry) so I've got daddy duties and there is nothing at the cinema lower than 12A.

Grumpy.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • moonio wrote:
    I hope you are right.. I wanted to do a london canal ride today.... Fingers crossed..will wait till 2pm at the latest
    London canal ride sounds interesting ... where from and to?

Latest radar shows a definite clear area coming... but its going to be 3pm at least I guess..
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    One of my cycling mates (and the nutter that did the CX commute with me) sometimes does these joke weather reports (a la "Good Morning Vietnam style) for his team mates.

He did this one at the start of the month that just epitmosises just how it feels now.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Was gonna try a meandering ride from london bridge, brick lane, then canal to islington, may still go as i need to be in hackney at 7pm..
  • moonio wrote:
    Was gonna try a meandering ride from london bridge, brick lane, then canal to islington, may still go as i need to be in hackney at 7pm..
    I've ridden that section of the Regents Canal, though I didnt know you could get to it anywhere near Brick Lane (used to work in Aldgate). Its quite nice apart from the peds, dogs and fishermen :lol: Far too slow for a commute, but nice for a pootle in the sun, esp the Islington/Camden end.

Just go back from a 42 miler out to Hatfield, St Albans, Hemel Hempstead and back via the Langleys. Windy but not cold and dry all the way :) Feel better now :D

Off to watch the Tour of Romandie final stage (watched last stage of Tour of Turkey before I went out)
  • Kieran_Burns
    I hugely over-heated this morning.

Can we have the rain back please?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    edited April 2012
    What a lovely morning! Headed out to RP for 3 laps pre work. Had to stop and remove leg/arm warmers as soon as I got there. So nice to ride in the sun again.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Schoolboy error this morning. Arrived at work with cold, wet feet and muddy pink legs. That would be OK if it weren't for having my leg warmers & overshoes stashed in my jersey pockets :roll: :oops:

Doing another 55-mile commute today. I actually think it would be manageable 3x a week though the time it takes is the killer.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Schoolboy error this morning. Arrived at work with cold, wet feet and muddy pink legs. That would be OK if it weren't for having my leg warmers & overshoes stashed in my jersey pockets :roll: :oops:

Doing another 55-mile commute today. I actually think it would be manageable 3x a week though the time it takes is the killer.
    That's 5 miles shorter than my driving commute (both ways) :shock:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    bleeding lovely here today, everywhere is flooded though, in most places the track i use was underwater

mucho fun times
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Dry but misty on the way in this morning. Biggest problem was the amount of standng water and bl00dy great puddles. Had to use my spidey sense to avoid the worst pot holes. Glad I had full mudguards - bloke I saw on a MTB looked wetter than a lobster's armpit.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    At least my original observation is now official

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17897982

8) :roll:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    After a brutal ride this morning into a mega headwind I had hoped for a tailwind on the way home, how very silly of me. Still I did have a nice moment when my chain snapped whilst on the steepest section of the climb home :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I actually experienced the mythical tail wind home last night, which made up for the morning's mash-fest into it.

Tried to wait out the deluge this morning, finally left home after 9 and had a perversely fun ride in. I love my full mudguards - I can ride straight through puddles without getting splashed - and my Montane Velo jacket kept the light rain at bay without melting me.

:D
    Misguided Idealist
  • Kieran_Burns
    I did the run in with just my shorts this morning 11 degrees when I left meant it was too warm for tights and it actually worked. Bloody HARD work into that wind though and the rain was just at the 'annoying' level - still it means less to dry off for the run home tonight which is meant to be dry
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Despite the torrential rain, bibshorts and short sleeves for me today, was warm enough (i.e. >10degC) not to wear tights :) Did the commute in on my road bike (I'm riding down to Tonbridge this evening and back again tomorrow)... I rarely ride that bike in the torrential rain so no mudguards... so cue strange wet feeling at the base of my spine... hmmm must get some mudguards before London Revolution, in case it rains. Doing it for an hour is bareable, for 8h won't be much fun. Still, will be dry tonight and tomorrow morning :)
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    How are people riding in waterproof gear this morning? saw a few people with NightVision tops & bottoms on, when it wasn't raining, just wet on the ground.

I'm in a long sleeve shirt and wishing I'd put the short sleeve on this morning.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    LS jersey and knee warmers. Northwave waterproof boots incase it's pissing down this evening though
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I see alot in Full waterproofs as well today,

I was roasting in my Baselayer, Jacket and 3/4 bibs,

Although my feet were dry (overshoes), i'll be ditching the baselayer on the homeward leg.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    gbsahne wrote:
    How are people riding in waterproof gear this morning? [...]

Probably slowly.

Overshoes on, but full gear stashed in the rack bag. Tomorrow is apparently a return to Ark weather here.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I was in my eVent jacket and bib shorts this morning - slightly over-heated but nothing terrible. Definitely NOT wearing the jacket on the way home this evening though. Meant to be 17C by the time I leave.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    gbsahne wrote:
    How are people riding in waterproof gear this morning? saw a few people with NightVision tops & bottoms on, when it wasn't raining, just wet on the ground.

I'm in a long sleeve shirt and wishing I'd put the short sleeve on this morning.

ss skeleton jersey and shorts with mitts - sweaty...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]