What's with this weather?

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Sorry but it's a bit hard to feel much sympathy for anyone who didn't wear overshoes and got soaked - I did and my feet were soaked inside ten minutes.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    @itb & KB You git's. My shoes are still on the radiator trying to dry out

At least I was fast, I guess a soaked drive train is well lubricated, just with a corrosive lubricant.
    that'll ruin them :)...try stuffing them with wadded newspaper, it's very effective at drawing out the moisture
    Great, so now I'm going to have wet shoes in the morning because the internet made newspapers obsolete years ago.

At least my Apps are predicting rain so it'll probably be dry and I'll take all the wet gear and not need it.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    @itb & KB You git's. My shoes are still on the radiator trying to dry out

At least I was fast, I guess a soaked drive train is well lubricated, just with a corrosive lubricant.

if it's any consolation the weather is very much End of the World here today, not looking forward to the 40 mph gusts ESE which just happens to be the direction of my station :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm doing the 40-mile Cromarty route again tonight. Will be dressing in a more industrial way tonight as the weather forecast is exactly the same as Monday
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    I blame Wiggle
    Peter
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I took one look at Raintoday last night and conveniently remembered I'm on a day off today....

All I could see was this MAHOOSIVE great rain storm heading our way from the SW and realised the delights of a lie in...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    bompington wrote:
    Sorry but it's a bit hard to feel much sympathy for anyone who didn't wear overshoes and got soaked - I did and my feet were soaked inside ten minutes.
    I don't bother with em now. Water still gets in through the top and probably the hole underneath; it just takes another mile or two for feet to be soaked so there doesn't seem much point in wearing them.

FWIW this morning's run was the most fun I've had for a while on the bike. Biblical rain, gusty wind over the left shoulder most of the way but for a couple of miles round the Claydon villages [paging Corporate Camper...] it was a solid tailwind and I was seeing 30+ on the flats, mid 20s on the climbs, with a steady drizzle of rainwater falling from the rear mech as I battled the elements. I am Bradley Wiggins, sometimes.

Downside is my office is full of dripping wet togs and smells like the boys' changing rooms at school even after a blast of Febreze, and the return leg tonight is going to be a bit of a challenge that may not see me home before 7. Tsssk.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Backpack full of wet gear just in case will probably guarantee a dry run this evening, still managed to trip a 30 sign on they way in despite the extra weight and drag.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Fear not, I have just reluctantly bought some mudguards, it will probably be bone dry by 5 o'clock.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Well it is fookin tipping it down here. Outside the office windows it is less an atmosphere than a lake with vertical slots.

STOP RAINING WALES!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Backpack full of wet gear just in case will probably guarantee a dry run this evening, still managed to trip a 30 sign on they way in despite the extra weight and drag.

Fairly sure you'll need this this evening.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    did metro have some stat about months worth of rain in 2 days?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Generally i don't mind the rain, but almost 10 days in a row now is starting to get annoying. Still better than public transport though :D
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    willy b wrote:
    Generally i don't mind the rain, but almost 10 days in a row now is starting to get annoying. Still better than public transport though :D

aye but headwind in and headwind out it taking the piss a little! :evil:
  • meanredspider
    I know - I'm facing 25 miles mostly uphill into a 25mph headwind. On the plus side, the last 15 miles (by which time I'll be dead) will be with a 25mph tailwind (I keep telling myself....) :shock: :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I don't think I've ever typed the following sentence before.

It is not raining in Manchester.

It's blowing a hurricane and I'm not sure if it's going to take me 10 mins or two hours to get home yet because I can't work out which direction it's blowing in - it's howling around the tall buildings around MediaCity.
    But, it's not actually raining, and I don't think it has done all day.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Yukirin wrote:
    Just hearing that rain is forecast for every single day for the next two weeks in England. I'm sure some areas will be glad of it.

WE ARE IN DROUGHT!
    Thames valley water forgot to send the memo to Laura Tobin!

YOU MIGHT BE. Don't get suckered by the South East bias of the media, there is a difference between the whole country and the view out of a Shepherds Bush window :D

Laura Tobin could read my death warrant to me and I'd still be happy to look at her.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I'm in Dublin today.
    They've issued a flood warning and the hotel has sandbags around the outside doors !
    Misguided Idealist
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Ooh - according to Rain Today - the centre of the depression is orbiting Cardiff at the moment and moving generally NNE
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • meanredspider
    25-35mph headwinds - struggling to hit 16mph downhill and cruising at 26mph on the flat with no effort heading downwind.
  • itboffin
    I'm in Dublin today.
    They've issued a flood warning and the hotel has sandbags around the outside doors !

What youre saying is your stick inside with nothing but comfort and a full stocked bar to keep you company :roll:

whatever will you do? :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Well lets just say this morning lived up to my expectations and this evening started of gale force torrentially wet and moved up from there, i've just had dinner and i'm now looking for at least one more.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I was scheduled to do some gardening today, but as that was out of the question, I had to do some fettling.
    See the fettling thread to find out what I did...
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    eaten again and nope nothing still staving hungry
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    itboffin wrote:
    eaten again and nope nothing still staving hungry
    I refer you to the last line of my signature.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm in Dublin today.

What youre saying is your stick inside with nothing but comfort and a full stocked bar to keep you company :roll:

whatever will you do? :lol:

Well, as my hotel's actually above a rather nice bar, I spent a few hours supping Guinness :-)
    My room looks over the Liffey so when I can no longer differentiate between the river and the street, the flood has arrived.
    Misguided Idealist
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    Well I have to confess I wimped out of my 22 mile commute home, then promptly jumped on a train to find massive delays... talk about karma!!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Yukirin wrote:
    Just hearing that rain is forecast for every single day for the next two weeks in England. I'm sure some areas will be glad of it.

WE ARE IN DROUGHT!
    Thames valley water forgot to send the memo to Laura Tobin!

YOU MIGHT BE. Don't get suckered by the South East bias of the media, there is a difference between the whole country and the view out of a Shepherds Bush window :D

Laura Tobin could read my death warrant to me and I'd still be happy to look at her.

indeed so when i go MTBing and get wet and muddy I can't hose the bike down....last time it was raining when I came back so cleaning the bike in the rain.....
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Was treated to the surreal site riding up Brixton Hill of brilliant sunshine blazing under the clouds, at the same time as hailstones were being blown into my face by the wind. Really quite beautiful - hope all the kit is dry for tomorrow morning, though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Holy f*ck! There's a chance the window of commute might be dry today! I blame it on global warning.