What's with this weather?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Gales and possibly snow forecast today - May next week :roll:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Balls! Spoke too soon.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Everytime I look out the window it's either bright and sunny or pi$$ing down like the end of the world!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    kelsen wrote:
    Balls! Spoke too soon.

Keep those thoughts to yourself please. They might hear you.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Its not all bad:
    ScgYbl.jpg
    Taken just off NKR (actually just past that scooter accident yesterday).
  • Anyone able to lend me a snorkel for my ride home this evening?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • littleprawn
    littleprawn Posts: 135
    Four seasons weather!

Morning commute I was at the mercy of some showers for the first half of the journey and return leg I was had a crazy headwin....my average speed in the morning was 13.5mph and the return leg home dropped to 10.5mph and 10 mins longer!

I am sure seasoned commuters have seen it all and got the t-shirt etc....

Have a good evening all!
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    My apps say it will be clear for me tomorrow.

Should I trust them?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Its official - worst period for commuting in living memory. I've been soaked daily for the past three weeks. Tired of it now - I've reached the point where I'm no longer looking forward to my commute :(
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Totally fed up now.
    Apparently we still have a drought.
    exercise.png
  • JamesFree
    JamesFree Posts: 703
    BigMat wrote:
    Its official - worst period for commuting in living memory. I've been soaked daily for the past three weeks. Tired of it now - I've reached the point where I'm no longer looking forward to my commute :(

Same here! I'm just going the quickest/shortest most boring route recently. I'm fed up, I miss going for extended commutes!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Well, finally two consecutive dry runs, can't remember when that last happened.
    But the wind and the cold! Once again I had headwind home (force 5 gusting 7, 40° against a 60° direction of travel) and a headwind into work this morning (force 3, 280° against a 240° direction of travel). How does this work out?
    And if last night was chilly, this morning was (as they say round here) pure baltic, must have been very close to freezing up in the hills. I've never been so cold on a ride when the sun shone the whole way.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Not minded the rain, mind you my commute is very short! but yesturday exposed postion, plus headwind with only one fairly stiff gearing was fairly hard going!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Got absolutely soaked this AM. It was also a bit colder than I expected so I only had short finger gloves on. Frigid digits!

I was talking to my commuting buddy about it, in the previous year I think I'd only been rained on 3-4 times, after commuting 2-3 times per week (so avg of 5 journeys) for a year. It's been 4 out of 5 days this week. Last week was pretty bad too. And it's sustained as well, it's a constant heavy rain that goes on for hours, rather than the usual drizzle or quick burst. :(
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    bails87 wrote:
    Got absolutely soaked this AM. It was also a bit colder than I expected so I only had short finger gloves on. Frigid digits!

I was talking to my commuting buddy about it, in the previous year I think I'd only been rained on 3-4 times, after commuting 2-3 times per week (so avg of 5 journeys) for a year. It's been 4 out of 5 days this week. Last week was pretty bad too. And it's sustained as well, it's a constant heavy rain that goes on for hours, rather than the usual drizzle or quick burst. :(

Yup.

Never seen the commuter hours so often rain filled.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    It's pretty annoying. Yesterday was lovely, though: fully expected another soaking at both ends of the day but it was dry both ways. My shoes are now dry. Huzzah!

Back in 1999/2000 I remember a period where it rained every day for about 2 months. That was soul-destroying. Even with a 3 mile commute
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • meanredspider
    Snowing here :roll:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Seems to hve been wet every journey for the last 3 weeks here. Standing water at the bottom of hills is becoming a problem as well due to the poor state of the drains.
    Walking the dog in my local woods last night, the volume of water pouring down the hills was incredible.
    I must admit to driving in today, as the lining of my helmet was still wet from last night, I just couldn't face it :(
  • Dry last night, dry this morning and dry now :)

I'm off home...

Going to be wet for the club ride on Sunday though :(
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Two wet rides in and then dry runs home but yes, tired of the wet now. I've worn my waterproofs more this month than in the last 2 years.

The only saving grace is that it's made people more chatty when waiting at the lights - either bemoaning the rain falling around us or being thankful that it's stopped for the homeward run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    In the car dry and home by 19:20 with a large glass of a good vintage red wine - bliss!!!!!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Briefly teased by the edge of a light rain shower as I left, nothing but overshoes for additional protection (my front mud guard looks rubbish with skinnies so I took it off, probably explains why my overshoes keep failing). But it let up after a mile or so.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Got a 25 mile TT on Sunday morning. Forecast is for "wind and rain". Tempted to ride it on the commuter in full hi-viz. Or stay in bed.
  • itboffin
    There we have it yet another complete and utter WRONG weather forecast for today, pissing rain and wind AGAIN :x
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    Bright sunshine 8) Clear skies :D below freezing :roll:
  • itboffin
    its 4C here atm :cry:
  • 6degC here and chucking it down in NW London atm (1am) and likely to do so til gone midday ... supposed to be out on a club run in 8 hours.... wondering how many will turn up...
  • meanredspider
    Just heard from a friend that their garage is flooded (M4 corridor). Bright sunshine here again. Still very cold but due to reach 11C later. Scotland definitely seems to be the place to be right now.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Bright sunshine 8) Clear skies :D below freezing :roll:
    Ditto, had a great run up to Glenshee yesterday morning - there was ice by the roadside in the glen that had clearly been in the sun for a couple of hours but was still solid. Heavy snow cover over 3000ft, really stunning scenery.

It was a bit of a grind up the final climb in my 39X26 with a 25kmh headwind, but the 91kmh descent made up for it... never really warmed up the whole way home though :cry:
  • Well got gale force gusts and torrential rain here.. and RainToday says its not going away in the next couple of hours at least.

I don't mind getting a bit wet but this looks just stupid to go out in... think I'm going to pass on the club ride and go out on my own later when its supposed to have eased to just moderately windy and light showers...

6977579142_c3d7d94b42_c.jpg