Life is Sh*te sometimes

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Velo, so sorry to hear this mate, animals and pets I should say, just aren't around long enough, how I wish they lived as long as we do eh? I lost my border collie cross after 15 years mate, literally found her outside in a street in north wales, deserted, dirty and a chuck-out by all accounts, and she was with us as I say for 15 years until her death in 2007. You never forget mate, I will say that. Hope you get some comfort from the fact that you have him the very best life he could have had, and Frank knows that.

Best of luck to you velo, you'll get through it and the other trials that life send us to get through.
  • Yes, life can be a bummer at times and yes you do have to carry on with things but then without troughs there wouldn't be any peaks.

Sorry about all your troubles - you'll get through!

Re your lovely dog. Sorry to hear this and it is a crushing blow when you in the position that you are.

I lost my boy Arnie last year in May and I am still in a mess about his death. For the first 8 months I cried every single day and I still fall apart 3-4 times a week now - just 5 weeks from the first anniversary of his passing.

He made it to 12 years and 1 week and his death came out of the blue. He was a tremendously fit dog and logged a couple of hundred long mountain days with me and even just before his death he was still pulling down big mountain days. And then wham - a large inoperable spinal tumour just flattened him and he had to be PTS.

Kills me even now - one minute he was looning around in the woods around our house and the next he couldn't move. I had to carry him to the car (he weighed 82lbs) as he was so weak and all I can think of as I drove him to the vets was his big happy face staring out of the car window - he thought he was just off for another walk! Sadly it was our last few moments together.

All I can say to you is that they come into the world usually not at your bidding and go out the same way. Not a lot you can do about either event. But the bit in the middle - well you can do something about that. You can make their life great. And like my boy I bet you have done the same for yours. I think of that all the time and it keeps my chin up a bit.

Make the most of your remaining time together and if you have to make the tough call then do it straight away. I loved my dog more than anything apart from my wife but I made the PTS decision in a heartbeat - no way would I have my best friend suffer. They deserve that for all they give.

I hope you still have some great days ahead.

My best friend - tears streaming down my face now..........

• napper
    napper Posts: 31
    "Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace".
    Milan Kundera
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    R.I.P My Little Boy Frank 14th Jan 2001 - 23rd April 2012

My Little Boy never made it, tears in my eyes whilst I type this, he has left a massive hole in my life, the pain feels unbearable. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    When they say a dog is man's best friend, it's easy to understand why it's so difficult to lose a great dog. Losing your best friend is difficult. My condolences.
  • Big Jim1
    Big Jim1 Posts: 182
    Life is very sh1te sometimes, but also at other times it's great.

To be honest I feel that bad luck comes in bunches/ clumps and it's just a case of seeing out the bad luck and waiting for the good luck.

When my boy got ill everything was going wrong. I think my glasses broke the first week ion the Marsden (with no easy way of getting them mended), the car broke down as well I think. I'd had a horrendous stomach virus or whatever it was that went on for 6 to 8 weeks whilst it was all kicking off. I'd just applied for a new job just before (literally days) before he became ill, and got the job - that sounds like good news, but getting a job when you can't take it is cruel.

But it's just a case of seeing out the bad luck, then the good luck will come. You wife in remission is a good start and I wish her best of luck.

Keep smiling, joking that is the best cure to anything. Also keep fighting and never give up. When you give up everything seems 10 times worse than it really is.

Best of luck
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    You are not alone with this one.Remember all the good times.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    Velonutter wrote:

My Little Boy never made it, tears in my eyes whilst I type this, he has left a massive hole in my life, the pain feels unbearable. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Oh man! I am so sorry, I can't even begin to think how hard that must be. I wish you well.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    ah dude that is just shitty - I know how you feel - one of the reasons I'd never have a dog again is the pain of loss ; just thik - how many times did he let you down = 0, how many times was he there for you = uncountable. its tough right now but think of the good times, let the smiles he brought ease the grief.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • golfergmc
    golfergmc Posts: 426
    Sorry to hear the sad news about Frank, I'm sure you are totally heartbroken. Remember all the good times you had with him and they will pull you through this dark time.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Velo, good to hear that your wife is in remission, but sad to hear about Frank.

From what you write, you should perhaps take comfort in the life you have given him, and the love you've shown him. There was a report on the breakfast TV this morning about the increase in animal cruelty due to one reason or another, which makes any right thinking person's blood boil, especially those who care for their companions night and day and dote on them. Pictures of dogs found in flats and horses left in muddy fields, all stick-thin with hunger, make you realise how uncaring some of our species can be.

Be proud of the owner/best friend you are, I bet my life Frank has had a good life, even if it's not long enough - it never is.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Sorry about your loss fella, they're family members and it hurts.

I cried like a child when the youngsters' rabbit died.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Ahh Velo sorry mate thats a shame. They say time heals and im sure it gets easier with time mate. Think of all the good times. Onto photobox.com and get a nice big wall canvas picture of Frank and have him in the louge with you forever more. Thats what ive got. Chin up fella hang on in there mate.
  • Velonutter wrote:

Sorry about your loss. RIP Frank.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Velonutter wrote:

Velo - I'm so sorry to hear the news of your Frank's moving on - no words or comforts will touch the pain for a long, long time, least of all at the moment - in time you will start to live again, but in the coming months do what you need to do, cry, screem, shout, talk to him wherever you are, sing to him - he's lived a great life, and he lives on all around you - he's still here - always remember that - The universe is a strange place - no-one knows why it's here, and from within that mystery comes faith - you will see him and be with him again one day - it's only a matter of time.
  • migrantwing
    migrantwing Posts: 385
    Sorry to hear about all these losses. Life is s**t for the most part, but it's the little things that count. We're not here forever. Enjoy it to the full while you can :)
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Velonutter wrote:

I just read this thread while at work and I'm welling up mate.

I've got 3 little dogs that I Iove to bits. Ridiculously I often think how bloody distraught I'll be when their times come.

Be strong fella - really feel for you.
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Sorry to hear about your loss,

As already said by numerous members i cannot really add to the comments

RIP frank, you will not be forgotten
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Velonutter, really sorry to hear about Frank, hope everything else improves for you.

Sorry to add to the Gloom, I ve had a bad 18 months myself, Lost Mum and Dad within 10 days of each other to the Big C, Lost my Job and was unemployed for too long (Luckily now getting some work) and now unfortunately my pooch Jess looks like shes on her way out too.

Shes been really outta character the last 48 hours, just brought her back from the Vets, 3 injections , diuretics to decrease a bloating in her stomach and two antibiotics, Plus blood tests which the Vet says show raised platelettes but nothing outta line for her trying to combat the stomach swelling and shes anaemic (But shes 12 yrs old)

He still thinks there could possibly be a tumour, shes under the dining table now feeling sorry for herself rather than her usual rag a muffin into everything self, Back at the vets in morning first thing, but he didnt sound optomistic.

cimg0013ka.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Shes insured, but I ve paid up for her treatment to date. Worse comes to worse and I loose her I m going to put the claim money to Big Jims bike ride for his lad ( going to bump his post next as its going off the bottom of the board at the moment)

The picture shows Jess with my 3 year old at Easter, Hopefully they ll be some more days for them to play together, But Big Jims Situation does put things in prospective.
  • Velonutter
    Thanks everyone for their good wishes and what has touched me the most is the sharing of experiences.

This week has been a real shite week, it could have been a little better if I could have taken some of my sadness out on the bike, longest break I have had off it in 3 years.

I'm not a religious man, although I do believe in a creator than some of us call God, and I suppose the big question that I probably won't be able to answer is when the vet put the needle in did his life and soul just end there or has he gone somewhere special, I suppose that is the big question that we all want an answer to.

Not sure I could feel comfortable with myself if he just disappeared into a black void, but if he has gone to somewhere special and will be waiting for me when I go, then I can live with that, but if we ended his life prematurely then the thought just makes me so upset!

We have had him cremated and his ashes will be returned to us so that when my wife and I go our ashes will be mixed with his and scattered for eternity!

I just wish I could stop getting upset, I miss him so much! :cry:
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Velo, sincere condolences.

I've been to some dark places before. My Mum (RIP) died of cancer when I was 8 years of age. My Nan died when I was 16. I share your thoughts about 'somewhere else' - I've believed from an early age that my family are on the brightest star in the sky, all there having a good time and watching over me. I know that there will be space for Frank 

Keep yourself busy. Get for that ride. It does get easier, I promise you.

Phil
  • Velonutter
    About 3 years ago, I took some prints from Franks Paws and my son and daughter had them tattooed, just dug them up and am going to have them tattooed actual size (7.5cm high each) over my heart: -

franks_paws.jpg

At least I'll never forget him.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Sorry to hear that, pets are a part of the family these days and losing one can really hurt.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Unfortunatley lost Jessie too, this evening, the vet said she had a massive mass on her spleen which couldnt be operated on. Real rapid deteriotion from a full of fun cheeky hound to a quivering withdrawn shell in just the space of a week, couldnt be as brave a Velonutter and couldnt bare to see her suffer any more.

Trying to explain to my 3 year old girl that we cant take Jessie out for a walk is the hardest part.

Goodbye old friend sleep well gonna really miss you,
  • Velonutter
    tim wand wrote:
    Unfortunatley lost Jessie too, this evening, the vet said she had a massive mass on her spleen which couldnt be operated on. Real rapid deteriotion from a full of fun cheeky hound to a quivering withdrawn shell in just the space of a week, couldnt be as brave a Velonutter and couldnt bare to see her suffer any more.

Trying to explain to my 3 year old girl that we cant take Jessie out for a walk is the hardest part.

Ah Tim, I'm real sorry and share your pain, life can be a real b!tch.

Fortunately the people on here have helped me an awful lot, if you are near South Staffs. then give me a shout, be only too pleased to share some Calvados with you!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    tim wand wrote:

Tim thats a great shame - one of our dogs had to be put down in a similar fashion, we had to make the decision in the vets there and then - we held his head, as he looked at us and closed his eyes. Don't think of it as just a dog, they ar ea massive part of our life and just go with the feelings, i'm sure you know that anyway and dont be afraid to shed a few tears or talk about it. take care.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I think that tattoo is such a touching idea!

Sorry to hear about his passing on, I know how much you must be hurting. Just echoing what people have said, just think of all the great times you had together and now think of him being set free chasing rabbits around in the clouds with my past dogs!

Stay strong, he's still in your heart, all you've got to do is close your eyes and he's right there...

Ryan
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Tim,echo what Cleat said-its a good decision to take the pain away from a dear friend.Great loss though.Well done for posting such a bad deal.Love my dogs more than I should, so sympathise here.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Velonutter wrote:
    About 3 years ago, I took some prints from Franks Paws and my son and daughter had them tattooed, just dug them up and am going to have them tattooed actual size (7.5cm high each) over my heart: -

franks_paws.jpg

At least I'll never forget him.

Fitting tribute in my eye's
  • Velonutter
    Well I had the tattoo done today, no one had told me that Tattooing directly onto the Sternum can be very painful!

I bet Frank was looking down thinking, how stupid I was.

Somehow feels quite comforting knowing that a little bit of him is attached to my body for eternity, each paw was 7.5cm high and it took a full 2 hours to tattoo!