Real Peloton podcast finger pointing.

Comments

• Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    LangerDan wrote:

"Oscar Plattner's Flying Circus"

Contains i) obscure cycling reference, ii) old telly reference iii) salacious gossip and most importantly, doesn't contain words like "velo"

Like it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,531
    Once I finish faffing around with new jobs I'll give it some thought and effort.
  • LangerDan wrote:
    "Oscar Plattner's Flying Circus"

"...provided one budgie stands on one leg"
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,442
    Jez mon wrote:
    Simon E wrote:
    But when you compare the number of Spanish to British riders in the peloton in the past 10-15 years the ratio of Spanish to be sanctioned is likely no higher than 'those good old boys from blighty' you hold in such regard ...

Let's not pretend it's another country's problem and we're somehow immune ...
    I am not flag-waving and don't pretend anything, but in the last two decades the two countries have provided very different environments for riders to develop. Apart from David Millar, what other British pro cyclists have been banned or have a cloud of suspicion over them?

Or are all pro cyclists 'presumed guilty until proven innocent' now?

Not wishing to gang up on the Spanish, or appear to be flag waving. BUT, didn't their version of the BCF have a somewhat lax attitude to Valverde and Contador?

If anyone from Sky tested positive, I should image they'd be dropped quicker than something that's dropped very quickly.

That's not to say that every British cyclist is clean, but I think they are better at covering their tracks.

There you go, fixed - all part of marginal gains!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    After the 3km prologue and as far as the feed station, today.
    Menchov is first to quit Romandie.
    Any good for fueling the flames of speculation?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I believe this race goes right past the UCI headquarters? Menchov has probably left the race so he can go and hand deliver a musette full of hard currency into McQuaids chubby fingered, sweaty hands.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    No. He's probably stopped for a macdonalds. :lol:
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    In terms of dodgy teams, any one else raising their eyebrows at Astanas's riders this season? Tiralongo second today in the Tour of Romandie, 1st for Gasparotto at Amstel Gold , then Iglinsky first, Gasparotto 3rd at LBL (and they were they only team to have three riders in the last bunch), strong showings at the Tour of Turkey on yesterday and today's stage...... With their history it all seems bit familiar.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    clanton wrote:
    In terms of dodgy teams, any one else raising their eyebrows at Astanas's riders this season? Tiralongo second today in the Tour of Romandie, 1st for Gasparotto at Amstel Gold , then Iglinsky first, Gasparotto 3rd at LBL (and they were they only team to have three riders in the last bunch), strong showings at the Tour of Turkey on yesterday and today's stage...... With their history it all seems bit familiar.

Nah, they're all good riders with good track records. Surprising sure, but not overly suspicious. Of course in cycling the line between "surprising" and "suspicious" is quite a blurry one.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,096
    The Astana team management have been complaining about the extra attention they've been getting from the UCI's medical team this week, so someone is suspicious.

Added: more here - http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/1297/Doping-In ... ssen.dhtml
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    "If anyone from Sky tested positive, I should image they'd be dropped quicker than something that's dropped very quickly."

they did their own red cell counts before the bejing olympics and left Rob Hayles at home because his was about 53% or something like that...

wasn't there a lot of suspicion that Cobo came from nowhere to win the vuelta last year? and guess who was his domestique de luxe? hi denis
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    edhornby wrote:
    "If anyone from Sky tested positive, I should image they'd be dropped quicker than something that's dropped very quickly."

they did their own red cell counts before the bejing olympics and left Rob Hayles at home because his was about 53% or something like that...

wasn't there a lot of suspicion that Cobo came from nowhere to win the vuelta last year? and guess who was his domestique de luxe? hi denis

Don't get the Cobo thing, It was 'only' the Vuelta, he didn't really come out of nowhere because looking at his palmares i'd say its better than average. Mind you, he is spanish though.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    If I was going to point at a rider who came from nowhere in the Vuelta last year (but I'm not going to), it certainly wouldn't be Cobo.
  • LeicesterLad
    afx237vi wrote:
    If I was going to point at a rider who came from nowhere in the Vuelta last year (but I'm not going to), it certainly wouldn't be Cobo.

I'll do it then. Chris Froome.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:

Well, OK, but I'm not implying Froome is suspicious, rather that Cobo didn't come from nowhere. The guy had won Pais Vasco and finished top 10 in both the Giro and Vuelta in previous years.
  • LeicesterLad
    afx237vi wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Well, OK, but I'm not implying Froome is suspicious, rather that Cobo didn't come from nowhere. The guy had won Pais Vasco and finished top 10 in both the Giro and Vuelta in previous years.

My point exactly, he wasn't a poster boy of the cycling media but that doesn't mean he wasn't a decent rider who had some very good results under his belt. He was just overlooked. This notion that he was a nothing man and 'suddenly' won the Vuelta is a little unfair.

Chris Froome has shown signs of promise before. 'Signs'. he just had no understanding of the word consistency.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    afx237vi wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

He probably would have finished quite high in the 2008 TdF if SD hadn't been sent home after the Ricco/Piepoli fiasco. He, to use a Sherwenism, pulled himself inside out to stay with Piepoli up the Hautacam. His TT performance in the vuelta wasn't that much of a surprise, either, based on previous results.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    I think the suspicion towards Cobo was due to his 2010 being so wretched. He could barely finish a race all year and was going to retire until persuaded to rejoin Geox/Saunier Duval - a team with an interesting recent history.

It was fair to wonder about Froome, but hard to really link him to anything incriminating.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,229
    http://cdn4.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn ... we_600.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Spo ... 4/pie2.jpg

Sloppy prosecution research, I'll admit; but I think these photos tell me all I need to know.
  • LeicesterLad
    RichN95 wrote:
    I think the suspicion towards Cobo was due to his 2010 being so wretched. He could barely finish a race all year and was going to retire until persuaded to rejoin Geox/Saunier Duval - a team with an interesting recent history.

It was fair to wonder about Froome, but hard to really link him to anything incriminating.

It didn't help that even the likes of David Harmon, Kelly and that pair of Numpty's on ITV didn't really know who Cobo was, so kept reiterating the 'Spannish rider comes from nowhere' point. They weren't so worried as to where Froome had sprung from.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,229
    ... Or rather, they reinforce my suspicions that Cobo was on the "inside" in the Saunier Duval drug squad. Dave Millar would prob have sone juicy tit-bits on that front.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    ... Or rather, they reinforce my suspicions that Cobo was on the "inside" in the Saunier Duval drug squad. Dave Millar would prob have sone juicy tit-bits on that front.

If you haven't already you need to read Millar's book as he speaks about his time at Saunier Duval
  • RichN95.
    Ultimately it comes down to look-a-likes and Louie Spence (Cobo) is more likely to be on drugs than Tintin (Froome)
  • LeicesterLad
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ultimately it comes down to look-a-likes and Louie Spence (Cobo) is more likely to be on drugs than Tintin (Froome)

Invoking Godwins Law on this one. TinTin was/is a NAZI. Much worse than a drugs cheat.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Invoking Godwins Law on this one. TinTin was/is a NAZI. Much worse than a drugs cheat.

Well that's controversial.

Asterix on the other hand was a major league doper who indoctrinated generations of Frenchman into believing it was acceptable to take 'magic potions' from dodgy doctors/druids to beat the Italians. Obelix, an overweight ginger who was permanently strong after falling into a cauldron of dope also inspired Jan Ullrich.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Chris Froome has shown signs of promise before. 'Signs'. he just had no understanding of the word consistency.

Remember he's had to deal with that mad African disease....
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Moomaloid wrote:

Remember he's had to deal with that mad African disease....

Is that like mad cow disease but from eating wildebeest?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    RichN95 wrote:

He was suffering from depression though which could have explained his wretched season.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Back to the original topic - I was in Spain when this was broadcast but it's been 2/3 weeks since and I've not seen or heard much talk about this since.

Matt Rendall received some inside information that Rujano was "shortly to be done for dope." Also, Menchov "might be in trouble quite soon." There was some cryptic talk about Stefano 'the lad' who lives in Monte Carlo, recycles the money in London and who has a nympho daughter. "it's all going to hit the fan" says Rendall.

Anyone heard more about this?
  • RichN95.
    Back to the original topic - I was in Spain when this was broadcast but it's been 2/3 weeks since and I've not seen or heard much talk about this since.

Matt Rendall received some inside information that Rujano was "shortly to be done for dope." Also, Menchov "might be in trouble quite soon." There was some cryptic talk about Stefano 'the lad' who lives in Monte Carlo, recycles the money in London and who has a nympho daughter. "it's all going to hit the fan" says Rendall.

Anyone heard more about this?
    There's some sort of major investigation going on into Michele Ferrari (again) - hence Rendell's references to Italian sports cars. Stefano is his son. I assume the daughter is Michele's daughter, not Stefano's