Real Peloton podcast finger pointing.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Oh god Tush can you imagine?! So DDD, what are you p1ssing and whinging about this week? The colour blue.used.on the BR logo?

Mind you, a frenchfighter "panache of the week" section could be fun, as could an iainf "why I hated cycling this week" or Bernie's "whos a dirty dope cheat" or Ricks."boonen pic of the week"..? We'd have to keep it ProRace only...

Maybe, maybe...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    ddraver wrote:
    ? We'd have to keep it ProRace only...

Obviously. But sod calling in bike radar. I want cash if we're going to call it that.

Call it the TrueChampion podcast or something.

Comments on racing, comments on doping, a feature on which race should be a chipper, any fun stuff we noticed, and a look ahead at the next racing.

Quite straightforward. Keep it short & sweet - half an hour.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Edited to correct my speeling

:roll:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Well, if their respective passport figures are anything like as variable as their performances over the season/years......
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I may be missing something - my iTunes hasn't updated with a Real Peloton podcast for months. Have they still been going through the winter/early part of this year?
  • ddraver
    ^one very recent one, released this week...
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    I may be missing something - my iTunes hasn't updated with a Real Peloton podcast for months. Have they still been going through the winter/early part of this year?

iTunes can't be trusted to do anything on it's own.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I'm a huge fan of Don Logan, and I do like Ned and Matt, but for professional broadcasters, some of their editions are woeful.

I do think there's a place for a 30 minute weekly podcast though. Problem would be funding, it's where other podcasts have floundered before. But if Bikeradar were willing to pay, then it would be a great advert.

Just don't broadcast it in a London pub, or whilst preparing dinner.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Tusher wrote:

I do think there's a place for a 30 minute weekly podcast though. Problem would be funding, it's where other podcasts have floundered before. But if Bikeradar were willing to pay, then it would be a great advert.

That's the rub, if Bikeradar were to sponsor it then their legal guys would be all over it and most of the juicy gossip would get censored and all you'd be left with would be Iainf moaning....and I wouldn't download that, even if it was free :wink:
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Simon E wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Call me cynical but I think if he was Spanish everyone on here would be screaming 'DOPER' at the top of their voices.
    You've not heard about Puerto? Or Manolo Saiz, Festina, Liberty-Seguros...

Compare the no. of Spanish dopers caught v no. of British dopers caught (and you might also compare & contrast RFEC's attitude to Contador's case and BOC's attitude to Millar riding in the Olympics).

Riders pointing the finger? They don't mind when it's JTL but it's a different story for their mate Alberto. Double standards, tsk.

Perhaps Matt and Ned don't want to say something that may come back to bite them but want the listener to join the dots. I haven't listened to RP since sometime last year, I thought it was getting a bit self-indulgent. Or perhaps it was always like that.

But when you compare the number of Spanish to British riders in the peleton in the past 10-15 years the ratio of Spanish to be sanctioned is likely no higher than 'those good old boys from blighty' you hold in such regard ...

Let's not pretend it's another country's problem and we're somehow immune ...
  • rick_chasey
    Tusher wrote:

I'm happy to do it for free if enough people will listen to it / enjoy it. Doesn't take too much to make it tolerable.

I used to do the odd podcast at the Uni for the cinema I used to run - but that was all in a proper studio that we'd actually fiddle with and produce afterwards.

Alas, that would no longer be an option. I'm sure a good quality skype-feed could work, or even a quiet pub.
  • Tusher
    I think a quiet room in a house would work, RIck. Just as long as there are no interruptions or background noise. It's the most infuriating thing about Ned and Matt.

Sooooooooo, you have the knowledge regarding how to construct a podcast. Is there no end to your talents?

Yup, linking it directly to Bikeradar would mean that it would have to be oh so correct.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Who did they out as a Ferrari client?

I used to listen to it but I struggle to find the time at the moment
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    edited April 2012
    listened again: Menchov.

And Gilbert too I think.

Just confusing enough.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    But when you compare the number of Spanish to British riders in the peloton in the past 10-15 years the ratio of Spanish to be sanctioned is likely no higher than 'those good old boys from blighty' you hold in such regard ...

I am not flag-waving and don't pretend anything, but in the last two decades the two countries have provided very different environments for riders to develop. Apart from David Millar, what other British pro cyclists have been banned or have a cloud of suspicion over them?

Or are all pro cyclists 'presumed guilty until proven innocent' now?
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Rick... its not that hard. I've got a mic, record into the Mac and bish bash bosh... 8)

p.s. i don't mind chairing ;)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Turfle wrote:
    listened again: Menchov.

And Gilbert too I think.

Just confusing enough.

Menchov makes sense

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/italian ... estigation
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Rick... its not that hard. I've got a mic, record into the Mac and bish bash bosh... 8)

Haha. Let's do it.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Simon E wrote:
    But when you compare the number of Spanish to British riders in the peloton in the past 10-15 years the ratio of Spanish to be sanctioned is likely no higher than 'those good old boys from blighty' you hold in such regard ...

I am not flag-waving and don't pretend anything, but in the last two decades the two countries have provided very different environments for riders to develop. Apart from David Millar, what other British pro cyclists have been banned or have a cloud of suspicion over them?

Or are all pro cyclists 'presumed guilty until proven innocent' now?

Not wishing to gang up on the Spanish, or appear to be flag waving. BUT, didn't their version of the BCF have a somewhat lax attitude to Valverde and Contador?

If anyone from Sky tested positive, I should image they'd be dropped quicker than something that's dropped very quickly.

That's not to say that every British cyclist is clean, but I think the environments are just very different.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Tusher
    Moomaloid wrote:

Haha. Let's do it.

Hurrah! I'll be the first to download it.

And I'll even mark it out of 10 if you like.
  • rick_chasey
    Tusher wrote:
    Moomaloid wrote:

Haha. Let's do it.

Hurrah! I'll be the first to download it.

And I'll even mark it out of 10 if you like.

As long as it's 10 :).
  • Tusher
    Depends how much you give me. :D
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I've not listened to their podcasts before. Do they make a habit of such comments and if so have any ever actually come to fruition?
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Do it! Do it! Do it!

I'd love to hear what you all sound like.

Also, since the sad demise of the Flammecast, there is a big gap in my podcast listening schedule that no-one has ever really filled.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    alanp23 wrote:
    Do it! Do it! Do it!

I'd love to hear what you all sound like.

Also, since the sad demise of the Flammecast, there is a big gap in my podcast listening schedule that no-one has ever really filled.

You do realise that in order to get the full 10/10 rating from Tusher Rick will devote the entire half hour to a breathless reading of excerpts from Lady Chatterley's Lover, with all references to Oliver Mellors replaced with Mark Cavendish?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Tusher
    :D

I'm prepared to listen to 3 minutes on Boonen though.

Ricki, do you have a name for it yet? Radar's Podcast? Champion's Podcast?
    The Weekly Podcast?
  • alanp23
    Judge and Jury?
  • ddraver
    Alan - most of the protagonists on the Flammecast became Velocast or Don Logan...
    - @ddraver
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Tusher wrote:
    :D

I'm prepared to listen to 3 minutes on Boonen though.

Ricki, do you have a name for it yet? Radar's Podcast? Champion's Podcast?
    The Weekly Podcast?

"Oscar Plattner's Flying Circus"

Contains i) obscure cycling reference, ii) old telly reference iii) salacious gossip and most importantly, doesn't contain words like "velo"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • alanp23
    ddraver wrote:
    Alan - most of the protagonists on the Flammecast became Velocast or Don Logan...

Thanks ddraver, I'll go and have a look at these.

The thing I really liked about Flammecast was the dynamic between the two guys. They were a grittier/swearier version of the Realpeloton. and they got me into the Classics, which I will always be grateful for.