got any riding ambitions for this summer?

13»

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Up Llanberis and down Rangers / Telegraph :D

We would have loved to tackle the Llanberis descent, but that route was packed with walkers and I personally would have preferred a bit of body armour / full face to really give it a blast. Rangers was a lot less crowded although more techy in places - a mix of riding and walking (as was the climb!)!

Great fun though 8)
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    cool :) I've done the Llanberis a few times up and down, but never the Rangers for some reason... I really want to get back to snowdon and try it
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Oooh, the Llanberis trail down looked fab.... How was it? Fast?!

Rangers was definitely very technical in places. I am a wimp anyway, even more so when i'm in an xc lid etc, so I walked the tricky bits. Fair play to the guys that ride it!! Definitely worth a go though 8)
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • bluechair84
    It's mega fast but as you said, with the numbers of walkers on it you can't really just open up the taps and get to full speed for prologues periods. I always loved it tough which is why I didn't get on and try Rangers (whilst I lived in Bangor). I think I'll be putting in the many-hours drive back there to give Rangers a go as so many people recommend it.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    hahaha! Was just looking at this actually..looks like a killer;

The Rando Ultra version not the Elite/Marathon one!
    http://www.ultraraidlameije.fr/en/pages/the-races/the-course-of-ultra-raid-meije.html

Goal 1/ Ride everyday; XC until the lifts open then DH til they close then XC again until it snows

Goal 2/ Discover more single track

Goal 3/ Improve general riding (faster, more control, improve pumping, hopping, jumping etc) - will involve some coaching

Goal 4/ Take part in and finish (in a reasonable time) the Maxiavalanche in Cervinia

Goal 5/ Possibly do the Ultra Raid in September

Long term plans; Mega in 2013 & Trans-Provence in 2014...we'll see

..It's bloody snowing again!

An update;

Goal 1 is going well - getting out most days on the local trails. Lifts open on Saturday :D ...happy days

Goal 2 is good - been finding plenty of new amazing trails (with some help from one or two locals) - some pretty gnarly stuff too :o

Goal 3 is working. No skills coaching (yet) but picking up tips and improving technique on nearly every ride :)

Goal 4 - gutted - have to blow out the Maxi! :( A job came in overseas so will be on a barge off the coast of Angola when the race is taking place. Gotta pay for Goal 6 somehow! 8)

Goal 5 - still on for this. Been doing some monster 800+m climbs in prep. Even more up for it now I can't race the Maxi :?

Goal 6 (New goal!) - finish my first custom build (Nukeproof Snap) Got most of the parts here or on the way from various places. Only thing I'll be missing by the end of next week will be brakes :shock: - it'll be getting the Deore's off my 'hopper when funds allow me to replace them with XT's (see Goal 4) :roll:

All in all - going well
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    An update;

Goal 1 is going well - getting out most days on the local trails. Lifts open on Saturday :D ...happy days

Goal 2 is good - been finding plenty of new amazing trails (with some help from one or two locals) - some pretty gnarly stuff too :o

Goal 3 is working. No skills coaching (yet) but picking up tips and improving technique on nearly every ride :)

Goal 4 - gutted - have to blow out the Maxi! :( A job came in overseas so will be on a barge off the coast of Angola when the race is taking place. Gotta pay for Goal 6 somehow! 8)

Goal 5 - still on for this. Been doing some monster 800+m climbs in prep. Even more up for it now I can't race the Maxi :?

Goal 6 (New goal!) - finish my first custom build (Nukeproof Snap) Got most of the parts here or on the way from various places. Only thing I'll be missing by the end of next week will be brakes :shock: - it'll be getting the Deore's off my 'hopper when funds allow me to replace them with XT's (see Goal 4) :roll:

All in all - going well

Where abouts in the Haute Alpes do you live? I have spent a lot of time in Les Gets/Morzine and got dragged around a lot of good singletrack by my mates - most of ti on the regular walkign routes and not heavily biked. Sometimes for good reason!

My goals for this summer are basically to ride as much as I can in as many local places as I can - my riding last year was limited to two local parks and one day trip - want to expand on that and get to know a lot of the trail networks in the local area and explore a little further afield. The challenge will be finding riding buddies - the bears and so on make me nervous riding in the wilds without company! And I work weekends for most of the summer.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • felix.london
    Bears??...f@ck that! I'm in the Serre Chavalier Valley - there was a wolf spotted up the road in broad day light last spring :shock: but they usually keep themselves to themselves & stay of the trails :wink:

Yeah - been hitting mainly walking trails, natural stuff and some bike/walking routes. Using Google Earth a lot to spot tracks

Stacked it big time yesterday - made it down the mountain then a wet curb got the better of me on the way home :oops: so feeling a pretty sore today but should be alright for a gentle ride tomorrow

Trek Session 8
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Going to morzine on friday, my only real goal is to hit some big-ish jumps :D
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    ilovedirt wrote:

Make sure you get some good pics :wink:

Im guessing big-ish jumps you mean anything over 20ft?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • bluechair84
    1mancity2 wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

This sounds familiar.... I'm sure someone's always going on about 20" jumps :)
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    got any riding ambitions for this summer?

Would be nice to get out for a ride that isn't just to work and back.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    1mancity2 wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

This sounds familiar.... I'm sure someone's always going on about 20" jumps :)

Me? no way!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    1mancity2 wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

Something like that, there aren't many jumps on the downhill tracks in north wales, they're mostly steep/tech, so most of the jumps in the alps are probably fairly big by my standards! I just want to man up and get out of my comfort zone a bit.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    Small ones but do the werewol drop on FTD and complete the monkey trail, don't laugh I'm still learning :D
  • felix.london
    I would've been sorting out my kit now, having a final sesh on the local DH trails, and making adjustments to my bike in preparation for driving to over to Italy tomorrow for the Maxiavalanche/my first race this weekend in Cervinia :(

...instead I'm floating about on a 600 person offshore accommodation barge 200km off the coast of Angola. Summer isn't going as planned. Then again, gotta pay for it all somehow...happy days I guess :)

Trek Session 8
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    My plans were to ride new places and steeper / more tech DH stuff. Going well so far, did some riding in the Algarve which was brutal, rode some steepness at Inners, rode some techy stuff at revolution and am getting more confident on wet roots (no choice really in this weather)

My short term goals are to ride / find steep techy singletrack in the alps when I'm over there in a couple of weeks
  • felix.london
    Majski wrote:
    My plans were to ride new places and steeper / more tech DH stuff. Going well so far, did some riding in the Algarve which was brutal, rode some steepness at Inners, rode some techy stuff at revolution and am getting more confident on wet roots (no choice really in this weather)

My short term goals are to ride / find steep techy singletrack in the alps when I'm over there in a couple of weeks

It did occur to me the other day that riding in the UK must make you a much more complete rider. I've never had to ride wet roots and even small amounts of mud is a rarity too.

Where you heading in the Alps?

Trek Session 8
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    Morzine mate - standard! ha ha. Should really try somewhere else but I know my way round the PDS so well I get a great amount of riding in whilst I'm there
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    New ambition: ride a dry dusty trail in the sunshine. In the UK.
  • felix.london
    milko9000 wrote:
    New ambition: ride a dry dusty trail in the sunshine. In the UK.

Lets keep this realistic hey! :D

Trek Session 8
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    I was doing it in February and March! I'm sure it wasn't just a dream...
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    milko9000 wrote:
    I was doing it in February and March! I'm sure it wasn't just a dream...
    That was winter/spring, the topic is for summer :?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Going out to Chamonix in August, so want to get, my drops and jumps sorted on the downhills :)

Also I will do my first race at Aston Hill on the 9th, so hope to do well in that!
    Specialized Hardrock 06
    On One 456 Summer Season 2010 neon orange!

“…get it in your head, then there’s nothing else important for the next couple of hours than getting that particular line done…” – Danny MacAskill
  • bluechair84
    A new ambition, I recently set the fastest average speed over the top half of a Stile Cop DH track, claiming the segment KOM. I want to go bag the KOM for the entire track now :) And I want to improve on the top segment time to try and secure it. I'm sure I can find a few seconds. Whilst I'm there I'll put a time in over the rest of the tracks so see how I fair across the range.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Summer? What is a summer?
  • bluechair84
    Oh don't start, the women around work have spent the last few days beechin about rain. You're a mountain biker for God's sake! Not an overweight receptionist! Unless you are an overweight receptionist... They seem to be contractually obliged to whinge.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    You've upset me now so i'm going to compose a series of bitchy emails to your colleagues and make simple jobs like posting letters etc more difficult for you.

And i'm not overweight, i'm just big boned, ergo, 'bubbly'.
  • felix.london
    Maxiavalanche in Cervinia was today! - and I should've been there. Still gutted I couldn't take part was really looking forward to it.

But well done to Brits Alex Stock who came third in the men's and Tracey Moseley won the women's.

Trek Session 8
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I'd like to be able to ride the DH at inners without being killed to death.

I'd also like to improve my overall fitness and skill on both bikes.

I'd settle for being able to ride a couple of days where mud and rain has been replaced by sunshine and dust though.
  • giantAstax
    giantAstax Posts: 55
    Not any more. This past 12 months I've been beset by illness and injury so my plans have gone out the window :cry:

It'd be nice to keep fit and well and get out on the bike twice a week :D