got any riding ambitions for this summer?

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited July 2012 in MTB general
Just curious what everyone hopes to find time to achieve or aims to complete this year! Have you got a rare and major ride planned? If they're any good, I might nab them for myself too :) Isn't felix panning on racing every trans-whatsit in Europe?

I'm doing the Mega route (not the race) in August, but that's an actuality rather than an ambition. I hope to get some practise at more DH races... I've done one local event so far and lovedit, but I hope to get to a more competitive, bigger event like the Guild at Style Cop (I'd appreciate some recommendations of other amatuer DH races I could seek out). Then, a Summer Snowdon ride with some mates - hit the summit for dawn! Everything else is just the regular pottering around trails in the Peaks...

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    edited April 2012
    I seem to have a summer of riding challenges....

Snowdon the last weekend in April
    Mountain Mayhem in June
    Mega in July

I have no expectations of doing any of these in a good time / stylishly - the challenge for me is actually DOING them rather than beating anyone else!

And then nothing after that (recovering :lol: )! I'll probably do some more xc races as we move into the autumn / winter and I would like to better my last results, but that's a rather half-hearted ambition!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Baby due tomorrow so just to get out will be an achievment this summer,

but im determined to get better at jumping and want to land a 360 and do a tuck no hander, (could do these when i was younger) just got to find some bigger jumps as im not getting high enough yet.

Other than that any riding will be a bonus.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    edited April 2012
    hahaha! Was just looking at this actually..looks like a killer;

The Rando Ultra version not the Elite/Marathon one!
    http://www.ultraraidlameije.fr/en/pages/the-races/the-course-of-ultra-raid-meije.html

Goal 1/ Ride everyday; XC until the lifts open then DH til they close then XC again until it snows

Goal 2/ Discover more single track

Goal 3/ Improve general riding (faster, more control, improve pumping, hopping, jumping etc) - will involve some coaching

Goal 4/ Take part in and finish (in a reasonable time) the Maxiavalanche in Cervinia

Goal 5/ Possibly do the Ultra Raid in September

Long term plans; Mega in 2013 & Trans-Provence in 2014...we'll see

..It's bloody snowing again!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Will be happy to simply improve at Stile Cop (it really is another world) without smashing myself to bits.
  • felix.london
    1mancity2 wrote:

but im determined to get better at jumping and want to land a 360 and do a tuck no hander, (could do these when i was younger) just got to find some bigger jumps as im not getting high enough yet.

Good news! All the best with that.

The bad news..in my experience babies have a direct relation to shrinkage of the nuts so good luck with those insane tricks!

Trek Session 8
  • bluechair84
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Baby due tomorrow ... land a 360 and do a tuck no hander
    incompatible? but great news and good luck! For both...
    .blitz wrote:
    Will be happy to simply improve at Stile Cop (it really is another world) without smashing myself to bits.

It's awesome there. Love it. Only one jump I can't quite make, but the entrance is a chicane through trees. I can't figure out how people get the speed into it!

Good to see others have got some ambitions other than just 'get out and ride'!
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 wrote:

Good news! All the best with that.

The bad news..in my experience babies have a direct relation to shrinkage of the nuts so good luck with those insane tricks!

Little boy is 5 and hes as mental as me!!

quite easy tricks tbh just can't find the right jump to practice on.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mine just got broken :( Was doing the No Fuss Allrounder of 10 at Kirroughtree, the Tour de Ben Nevis, and the Fort WIlliam Endurance Downhill, but they've cancelled 10 @ Kirroughtree so not sure what's happening about that :( Still will be doing the Endurance DH though, I placed pretty much bang in the middle last time so I've got a target of placing in the top half of finishers since I'll have a dh bike to do it on this year. Think top 50 might be beyond me, guess we'll see!

Other'n that I just want to ride bikes a lot, in lots of different places.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I was intending to do the 10 in llandegla again, but it looks like it's been pulled :?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Want to get my jumping dialed and more consistant with maybe adding a little style come the end of the year.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Want to do the South Downs Way.
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    As I’m relatively new to doing the MTB thing properly, mines just to ride as much as possible and in as many new places as I can.

Other than weekend at CyB booked at the end of May and Nant y Arian for the end of June, nothing else planned as yet.

I did my first proper Peaks ride a few weeks back and have just had the Peak District Mountain Biking: Dark Peak Trails book delivered yesterday which looks great, so loads of exploring to be done as well.

Oh and maybe try and tag along on some forum rides!
  • 1mancity2
    Good to see others have got some ambitions other than just 'get out and ride'!

We do try to do something new every time were out as well, last week Dodget was determined to nail a drop off and I did a erm lets say a BIG jump, and we both tried to improve squashing jumps.

Why, why, why do we have to go to work!!!!!!!
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Live in South Wales so a nice week of dry weather would be a start :D
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Stu Coops wrote:
    Live in South Wales so a nice week of dry weather would be a start :D

Yep, I second that, be nice to get out without getting soaked.

My aim is to stay fit and ride as much as I can - expectations of myself seem to have gone out the window the older I've become :|
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • bluechair84
    jndb72 wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:
    expectations of myself seem to have gone out the window the older I've become :|
    At 27, I'm trying to hit as get as much 'skill' down as I can before I get too fragile to take the knocks. A few weeks back managed to crack a 20foot table and a pretty big step down. Very proud of myself!

Should also include - build more with the local venue! It's great being part of the building team and helping the spot develop.
  • 1mancity2
    jndb72 wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:
    expectations of myself seem to have gone out the window the older I've become :|
    At 27, I'm trying to hit as get as much 'skill' down as I can before I get too fragile to take the knocks. A few weeks back managed to crack a 20foot table and a pretty big step down. Very proud of myself!

Should also include - build more with the local venue! It's great being part of the building team and helping the spot develop.

Im 42 and doing them so you have plenty of time bud.
  • bluechair84
    1mancity2 wrote:
    jndb72 wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:

Good lad :)
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    My ambition is to ride more than 2 miles on the flat at walking pace without my knees killing me for days afterwards :(
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Bishbosh10 wrote:
    My ambition is to ride more than 2 miles on the flat at walking pace without my knees killing me for days afterwards :(
    Knees? Have you got your saddle at the right height?
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    mine is to go back to whistler,, but with thing the way they are at the minute (jobless) i cant see it happening..

mancity i would give anything to have to go to work.. being unemplyed sucks.....
  • 1mancity2
    delcol wrote:
    mine is to go back to whistler,, but with thing the way they are at the minute (jobless) i cant see it happening..

mancity i would give anything to have to go to work.. being unemplyed sucks.....

Yeah I know bud and I would hate it to tbh, but a job were you can ride a bike, hmmmmmmmm
  • mini-eggs
    mini-eggs Posts: 811
    Being Afan argoed is local to me, I'm always riding there, so this year i've set myself the goal of riding Brechfa and cwmcarn as much as possible
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    Bishbosh10 wrote:

If only it was that simple. I am seeing men in white coats regularly and only making slow progress. The injury was not cycling related, in fact, cycling is supposed to be part of the rehab and was what made me dig out my old bike from the shed and then promptly buy a shiny new one that I have barely ridden in 8 months of ownership :(
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • victoriac
    victoriac Posts: 56
    Planning on doing my MIAS this Summer but need it to stop snowing so I can actually get some time in on my bike.:(
    Also, want to do a few more XC races this year - only started last Summer so if I could do them without feeling like I'm going to drop dead by the last few kms that would be a massive improvement!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    victoriac wrote:
    Also, want to do a few more XC races this year - only started last Summer so if I could do them without feeling like I'm going to drop dead by the last few kms that would be a massive improvement!

I know that feeling... :lol::lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Bishbosh10 wrote:
    Bishbosh10 wrote:

If only it was that simple. I am seeing men in white coats regularly and only making slow progress. The injury was not cycling related, in fact, cycling is supposed to be part of the rehab and was what made me dig out my old bike from the shed and then promptly buy a shiny new one that I have barely ridden in 8 months of ownership :(
    Oh dear.
    What did you do to your knees then, if I may ask. I buggered one of mine up a while ago, and cycling was supposed to help with it, but in all honesty the single thing that improved mine the most was snowboarding! I t happened to really work out th eexact muscle groups the physio was targeting.
    Of course, I'm not saying you should go try it :lol:
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    enter and finish the brecon beast

ride snowdon

hopefully get a trip to the alps sorted and ride there for the first time :D
  • felix.london
    1mancity2 wrote:
    jndb72 wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:

I'm 37 so still got 5 years to get em nailed :wink: (ouch)

Trek Session 8