Russians Doping.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    Does anyone actually think we see team wide doping now.... I can't see it.

Katusha are dodgy but I doubt they handed him a needle loaded with EPO.

I don't think they dig very deep at all.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    prawny wrote:
    Have they tested the paper for drips of sweat and/or gunshot residue?

Ha! My thoughts exactly.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    2012_04_17_galymzianov_600.jpg

Isn't that Cav's handwriting?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    LangerDan wrote:

Surely it would just say "me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me" if it was?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

Surely it would just say "me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me" if it was?

Looks like it's been written with a pen, not a crayon! :D
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    iainf72 wrote:
    Does anyone actually think we see team wide doping now.... I can't see it.

Katusha are dodgy but I doubt they handed him a needle loaded with EPO.

I don't think they dig very deep at all.

I don't think there is active team wide doping but there can be a passive attitude. I guess it's individuals or small circles in teams, but not 20 riders on the program
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    doping may not be team wide, or even with the managers assistance, but surely the docs, managers and the rest of the team will be aware of improvements/changes after that w/e away at the 'in-laws'.

If they are monitoring their riders I can't see how they can claim they didn't know.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,754
    Personally I'm just glad he hasn't come up with a million and one excuses a la Valverde, Di Luca etc

Possibly Katusha have prompted him somewhat of course but at least he's taken it like a man
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I admire his admission. Good man.

11141%7C000005747%7C275a_lux11st1-GALIMZYANOV-WINS.jpg
    5580453090_b336ba3e62_z.jpg
    1264924669galimzyanov-denis-2010_167031978.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    How odd.

I hurl abuse at those who make up ludicrous excuses, and then when a spontaneous confession comes along I don't quite buy it.

I think it's the thought of a darkened room, a single bulb being shone in his face, and the words dictated to him.
  • iainf72
    What is the protocol for admitting it that we as fans would approve of?

Carving "guilty" into your arm with a chain ring?

Having a crap haircut and weeping about it on TV years after the fact? ((c) Zabel)

Pointing the finger at everyone and blaming them?

Or just talking about mistakes?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Tusher wrote:
    How odd.

I hurl abuse at those who make up ludicrous excuses, and then when a spontaneous confession comes along I don't quite buy it.

I think it's the thought of a darkened room, a single bulb being shone in his face, and the words dictated to him.

Joe Lindsey is thinking along similar lines http://bicycling.com/blogs/boulderreport/2012/04/17/katusha-doping-positive-and-galimzyanov-confession-letter-leave-unresolved-questions/
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:

Bernard Kohl - "Yes I did it. I've been doing it for years. I'm retiring" (and meaning it). I respect him for that.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andrewjoseph
    I think the protocol should involve giving names of the people involved ('cos it's very difficult to put an iv in yourself), where the drugs come from, where the equipment come from etc.

saying the team was not involved and that he did it alone is not much of a confession. i find it highly implausible that he: planned, bought, drugged and tested, himself without outside help.

people in the team should be aware 'something' was going on.
    --
  • iainf72
    Frankie Andreau just drove to the right pharmacy, bought the EPO, and injected it. I've got a fairly good idea of what a conventional EPO protocol should look like.

I think we've got to keep in mind these guys are human. And shopping other people isn't what humans do very easily. Nobody likes a grass.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Bernard Kohl - "Yes I did it. I've been doing it for years. I'm retiring" (and meaning it). I respect him for that.

Similarly Roy Sentjens - "Yes I did it. I needed a new contract to support my family. I'm retiring".

Also, Thomas Frei - "Yes I did it. I would have continued to do it". Maybe with Frei it's more his efforts to come back clean, and do it as transparently as possible, that I approve of.
  • andrewjoseph
    iainf72 wrote:
    Frankie Andreau just drove to the right pharmacy, bought the EPO, and injected it. I've got a fairly good idea of what a conventional EPO protocol should look like.

Yes, but Galimzyanoff was probably microdosing to cover up some other doping method.

Was Andreau not following advice from some medics: how much, when?
    I think we've got to keep in mind these guys are human. And shopping other people isn't what humans do very easily. Nobody likes a grass.

Agreed, but he was also (in my opinion) advised and encouraged to dope, probably with the reassurance that he will never be caught. I wouldn't be happy that someone had taught me to dope, helped me with logistics, reassured me that all will be well, then hides in the shadows.

Nobody likes betrayal either.
    --
  • iainf72

Agreed, but he was also (in my opinion) advised and encouraged to dope, probably with the reassurance that he will never be caught. I wouldn't be happy that someone had taught me to dope, helped me with logistics, reassured me that all will be well, then hides in the shadows.

Nobody likes betrayal either.

This is why I tend to think teams don't really know what's going on. Well, they may know what's happening to a degree but they're not involved. If you chose to do it, and someone helps you so you don't kill yourself, it would be normal to feel some loyalty to that person I expect.

10 years ago it was a different story
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Rick, have you been awarded the "Maillot Rouge" for your name in your role as a Mod or is it just to add to the whole Russian theme of this thread? It looks very smart.

Haha.

Well I am known for my satorial elegance and red trousers, but no, I am now an admin :) not just a mod...
    can you ban me now?

Why, what have you done?
    Dunno yet. Depends whether you can ban me!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Not sure I liked that particularly, it doesn't help the sport in any real way, but then I'm a Millar fan, I like riders to be able to come back and preach about their mistakes.

Kohl just ran away from it all.

FWIW in this case, the letter seems odd to me, I can't quite put my finger on it. As far as team organised doping goes...well, I don't think I would be especially surprised, but there are different it, I should think some teams just turn a blind eye, some may even tacitly encourage it, but in the case of others, riders wanting to dope would have to hide it from their team carefully...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • andrewjoseph
    iainf72 wrote:

This is why I tend to think teams don't really know what's going on. Well, they may know what's happening to a degree but they're not involved. If you chose to do it, and someone helps you so you don't kill yourself, it would be normal to feel some loyalty to that person I expect.

10 years ago it was a different story

I don't think a team/manager can be aware 'to a degree' but divorce themselves from responsibility. they have a duty to the rider and to the team. Turning a blind eye and not wanting to know are not a good excuse for me.

Loyalty for helping you not kill yourself, is debatable. Perhaps the rider didn't want to but was coerced.

this is part of the problem for me, not enough info. Too much can be ignored or inferred.
    --
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I think this Russian will be micro dosing like Alberto to mask transfusions..doing EPO on it's own seems too old school. Think the Russian should explain who the at least two other enablers were..1 courier and 1 Dr at least

Zabel's advice

"Erik Zabel ‏ @EteZabel · Close
    I wish Denis,that he'll find Rest&that his Family&good Friends are Strong enough to help him Out in the next Months!good Luck&dont Comeback!"
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

I wish Denis,that he'll find Rest&that his Family&good Friends are Strong enough to help him Out in the next Months!good Luck& dont Comeback !"

I wonder if that Erik Zabel is the same Erik Zabel who was forced into admitting EPO usage, came up with some Clintonesque "I didn't inhale" line about only using it for a week and has subsequently been quite happy to work alongside other ex-riders who spent much of the '90s off their collective face on EPO?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    No no, you don't understand LangerDan, Zabel is ok, he's a friend of Cavendish's. Not a gigantic hypocrite at all.
  • rick_chasey
    Rick, have you been awarded the "Maillot Rouge" for your name in your role as a Mod or is it just to add to the whole Russian theme of this thread? It looks very smart.

Haha.

Well I am known for my satorial elegance and red trousers, but no, I am now an admin :) not just a mod...
    can you ban me now?

Why, what have you done?
    Dunno yet. Depends whether you can ban me!

When the name is red, the ban hammer is close to hand....
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,707
    LangerDan wrote:

I wish Denis,that he'll find Rest&that his Family&good Friends are Strong enough to help him Out in the next Months!good Luck& dont Comeback !"

I wonder if that Erik Zabel is the same Erik Zabel who was forced into admitting EPO usage, came up with some Clintonesque "I didn't inhale" line about only using it for a week and has subsequently been quite happy to work alongside other ex-riders who spent much of the '90s off their collective face on EPO?

Which, even if true, shows that Zabel was ready willing and able to cheat. Clearly Erik was motivated and had both means and opportunity.
    Funny how folks don't buy Galimzyanov's confession, but swallow Zabel's ludicrous piece of fiction.
    iainf72 wrote:
    No no, you don't understand LangerDan, Zabel is ok, he's a friend of Cavendish's. Not a gigantic hypocrite at all.
    Friends/mentors of Cav have automatic entry into the Anglicized Church of Cleanliness. (Reformed)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • people in the team should be aware 'something' was going on.

People I work with aren't aware of how much time I spend on this forum... :wink:
  • rick_chasey

People I work with aren't aware of how much time I spend on this forum... :wink:

Exactly.

Then again, they don't dig very deep!
  • andrewjoseph

They work/live/eat/sleep with you! :shock: :wink:

From what I've read, riders sleep two to a room when on camps or tours. Team physios/masseurs/helpers/docs/nutritionists/coaches/trainers/managers are around them a LOT. there are times when the riders is alone i know, but his job is to be around and with the team for a large part of the year.
    --
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758

They work/live/eat/sleep with you! :shock: :wink:

From what I've read, riders sleep two to a room when on camps or tours. Team physios/masseurs/helpers/docs/nutritionists/coaches/trainers/managers are around them a LOT. there are times when the riders is alone i know, but his job is to be around and with the team for a large part of the year.

Not only that, but my colleagues (team members in modern jargon) would surely notice a sudden spike in performance - perhaps after a week of firefox abstinence, my equivalent of a w/e at "the in-laws in that remote village without electronic communications"