Russians Doping.

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,540
edited November 2014 in Pro race
Denis Galimzyanov (Katusha) done for EPO.

Standard....

Comments

• Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    EPO? Really, Denis?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850

Standard....

EPO? Sooo last Tuesday.

They'll be wearing mullets next.

Eh?

Oh.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    calvjones wrote:

Standard....

EPO? Sooo last Tuesday.

Eh?

Oh.

Nice.

I may well be conflating it with the Kittel story from earlier in the year, but wasn't there something about Galimzyanov earlier in the year?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Turfle wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Standard....

EPO? Sooo last Tuesday.

Eh?

Oh.

Nice.

I may well be conflating it with the Kittel story from earlier in the year, but wasn't there something about Galimzyanov earlier in the year?

And didn't he start winning out of the blue at the end of last year?
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    This has nothing to do with me watching Rock4 last night? :P

I like a good conspiracy of a high end Russian Doping program being used. Chances he'll be let off the hook? Perhaps he'll be able to keep on racing till 2045 then decide to ban him for 6 months.. you know to cut him down in his prime... :P
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Wasn't Michael Ashenden talking about EPO being used not as a direct performance enhancer but for a cover for something else?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    I wonder if the Russian government will give him a medal like Kolobnev
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    MrTapir wrote:
    Wasn't Michael Ashenden talking about EPO being used not as a direct performance enhancer but for a cover for something else?

I read that Ashenden credits Landis with explaining that EPO microdosing was being used to stimulate bone marrow to make new red cells in order to mask the signature of blood transfusion which is the shut down of new red cell growth.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Rick, have you been awarded the "Maillot Rouge" for your name in your role as a Mod or is it just to add to the whole Russian theme of this thread? It looks very smart.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • rick_chasey
    Rick, have you been awarded the "Maillot Rouge" for your name in your role as a Mod or is it just to add to the whole Russian theme of this thread? It looks very smart.

Haha.

Well I am known for my satorial elegance and red trousers, but no, I am now an admin :) not just a mod...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

Haha.

Well I am known for my satorial elegance and red trousers, but no, I am now an admin :) not just a mod...
    can you ban me now?
  • MrTapir
    Dave_1 wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

I read that Ashenden credits Landis with explaining that EPO microdosing was being used to stimulate bone marrow to make new red cells in order to mask the signature of blood transfusion which is the shut down of new red cell growth.

Yes thats right, its in that long interview with velonews or cyclosm or some such e-journal. Not an exact science by any means i seem to recall though
  • rick_chasey

Haha.

can you ban me now?

Why, what have you done?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,284

Haha.

can you ban me now?

Why, what have you done?

He doesn't like Boonen.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey

Haha.

can you ban me now?

Why, what have you done?

He doesn't like Boonen.
    bunk.gif
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    MrTapir wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:

Yes thats right, its in that long interview with velonews or cyclosm or some such e-journal. Not an exact science by any means i seem to recall though

Micro-dosing EPO (e.g. off-season) also makes sense to inflate hematocrit and mimic those levels when blood-doping is applied. This way, no fluctuations are prevalent on the bio-passport you see 8)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Good to see that Hans -Michael Holczer hasn't lost the knack. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde
    "To have one squad test positive may be regarded as a misfortune; to have both looks like carelessness".

And unsuprisingly, he was recommended to Katusha by our good buddies in Aigle
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    skylla wrote:

Micro-dosing EPO (e.g. off-season) also makes sense to inflate hematocrit and mimic those levels when blood-doping is applied. This way, no fluctuations are prevalent on the bio-passport you see 8)

You should read the Ashenden interview. The passport doesn't look at HCT really as it's unreliable. You use EPO when blood doping to make sure the ratio of new red blood cells vs mature red blood cells is right.

It's not just a simple "more red blood cells" debate.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • skylla
    iainf72 wrote:
    skylla wrote:

You should read the Ashenden interview. The passport doesn't look at HCT really as it's unreliable. You use EPO when blood doping to make sure the ratio of new red blood cells vs mature red blood cells is right.

It's not just a simple "more red blood cells" debate.

I never said that it is so simple, hence I used the word "also", i.e. in addition. The biopassport looks, among other things, at personal hematocrit levels in time for each and every rider, i.e. passport...

Here's a quote:
    ashenden wrote:
    There is no doubt whatsoever that the Passport is a better approach than the hematocrit rule, but just because it is better does not mean it is perfect. So yes it is true that riders are still doping. I don't know that it can automatically be assumed that they are doing so at a lower level - I think it is more likely to be correct that they are doping in a different manner! For example, altering the doses of EPO to reduce fluctuations in blood results, or using transfusions shortly before/after events to avoid being tested with elevated blood levels."
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,192
    He's copped to it in a letter to Katusha mgmt apparently, won't request B sample test. See https://twitter.com/#!/Laura_Meseguer
  • rick_chasey
    r0bh wrote:
    He's copped to it in a letter to Katusha mgmt apparently, won't request B sample test. See https://twitter.com/#!/Laura_Meseguer

Like they didn't know already :|
  • rick_chasey
    562565_386815861341973_319107654779461_1204137_1979208327_n.jpg
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Ahhh, that explains everything
  • MrTapir

Haha.

can you ban me now?

Why, what have you done?

He doesn't like Boonen.
    bunk.gif

Thats brilliant
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960

Translation:

I, the undersigned Denis Galimzyanov, rider of Katusha Team, want to clear up the current matter with my positive doping test. On March 22, 2012, being in Italy, I received a visit from anti-doping control officers in an out of competition time. A month later, a urine sample taken during that visit indicated EPO.

I recognize a fact of banned substance usage.

I fully realized what I did.

I deeply regret about what happened, and I apologize to the whole team and my teammates, along with my fans whom I disappointed.

I am ready to suffer an appropriate punishment.

I would like to draw A PARTICULAR ATTENTION for that fact that Katusha Team has nothing to do with what happened. No team member knew and could know about what I did. It was my personal decision and my responsibility.

I refuse from my right to request and attend the analysis of my B sample.”

April 17, 2012
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Have they tested the paper for drips of sweat and/or gunshot residue?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    r0bh wrote:

Crikey, I might follow her jus so her picture pops up in my feed! ♥
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • skylla
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwZhaQS97aw

Couldn't find the english version, but you get the drift.....
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Does anyone else think that looks a bit like PROTESTING TOO MUCH?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Does anyone actually think we see team wide doping now.... I can't see it.

Katusha are dodgy but I doubt they handed him a needle loaded with EPO.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.