Bicycle weight on hills?

13»

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    davis wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    ... I ... don't eat pies, ... don't drink beer/wine...

You do realise what you've just said?

Yeah, you're right, should have kept that quiet :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    ah ha but what about all the chunky monkeys (my self included) having more power in their legs to lump all their timber up hills?

I resemble that remark but the bad news is that its not strong legs that get you up a hill fast (anything but a very short pull anyway) its power output to weight and power output is more about VO2 max than muscularity (can always take a lower gear and spin faster).
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Which is why I hate dem hills.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    jedster wrote:
    ah ha but what about all the chunky monkeys (my self included) having more power in their legs to lump all their timber up hills?

I resemble that remark but the bad news is that its not strong legs that get you up a hill fast (anything but a very short pull anyway) its power output to weight and power output is more about VO2 max than muscularity (can always take a lower gear and spin faster).

so what your saying is, if i lose my timber i will be even more awesome?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I'm very sceptical that it makes as much difference as people claim. Maybe for 'proper' racers, where 10ths of a second are important. But for me, combined weight of me plus bike plus kit about 110Kg.

Quick squint at the Canyon website tells me that knocking 1.8KG off their cheapest road bike, will cost me about £3,000. So £3,000 for less than 2% of my overall weight. People go on about how it's distributed, rotating mass being somehow magically much worse than static etc etc.... I don't buy any of it.

Bottom line is that it's going to take me roughly 2% longer to get from the bottom to the top of a hill: if I'm climbing for hours and I'm in a race, that's important. But I'm just getting to work. From practical experience gathered over many long trips, including some loaded (spare clothes, washkit, lunch, lock, toolkit) and some not, the things which make a big difference are:

1) wind direction

2) tyres - pressure and slicks

3) how knackered I'm feeling

4) plenty of fluid and a light snack in the afternoon

5) having a reasonably well maintained and good quality bike which doesn't break down very often (spend enough money to meet that criterion and it's hardly going to be a tractor anyway!)

Weight hardly figures at all, and even if it did, it would be a lot cheaper for me to lose a KG than to shave it off the bike.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    rhext wrote:
    I'm very sceptical that it makes as much difference as people claim. Maybe for 'proper' racers, where 10ths of a second are important. But for me, combined weight of me plus bike plus kit about 110Kg.

Quick squint at the Canyon website tells me that knocking 1.8KG off their cheapest road bike, will cost me about £3,000. So £3,000 for less than 2% of my overall weight. People go on about how it's distributed, rotating mass being somehow magically much worse than static etc etc.... I don't buy any of it.

Bottom line is that it's going to take me roughly 2% longer to get from the bottom to the top of a hill: if I'm climbing for hours and I'm in a race, that's important. But I'm just getting to work. From practical experience gathered over many long trips, including some loaded (spare clothes, washkit, lunch, lock, toolkit) and some not, the things which make a big difference are:

1) wind direction

2) tyres - pressure and slicks

3) how knackered I'm feeling

4) plenty of fluid and a light snack in the afternoon

5) having a reasonably well maintained and good quality bike which doesn't break down very often (spend enough money to meet that criterion and it's hardly going to be a tractor anyway!)

Weight hardly figures at all, and even if it did, it would be a lot cheaper for me to lose a KG than to shave it off the bike.

Very true, but a pro racer is as light as they can be (generally), so the weight has to come off of the bike.
    To the bloke on the street, the 2% you mention would be barely noticeable on the daily commute for the reasons you mention, but the weekend century would now *only* feel like 98 miles and we all know the last two miles are the hardest. As for hill climbing, as has been mentioned, ride up a hill with an extra 2kilos strapped to your bike and I'm SURE you'd notice the diference.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    You'd barely notice 2kg up a hill. That's two bottles of drink and a saddle bag.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    okgo wrote:
    You'd barely notice 2kg up a hill. That's two bottles of drink and a saddle bag.
    Depends on the hill, how hard you are attacking it, how fatigued you are etc
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    okgo wrote:

also depends on the size of saddle bag

3318584700_554ed7ab4b.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    okgo wrote:
    Pretty sure you would on a 5 mile climb, and if you're riding a 10kg bike, instead of an 8kg bike, plus those drinks and saddlebag, that would mean an extra 4kg!
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    Depends on the hill, how hard you are attacking it, how fatigued you are etc

Why does it depend on how hard you're attacking it?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    okgo wrote:
    Why does it depend on how hard you're attacking it?
    If you attack even slightly too hard you will fatigue before the top.
    Extra weight with the same effort means you will fatigue earlier.

Heavier riders can power their way to the top of a short hill but will fatigue on a long climb*.

Lighter riders may be out powered on a short climb but are less likely to fatigue.

*Long climbs being several kms long. Personal experience being a fat bloke with strong legs. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Interesting thread. My commute bike is 11kg, best bike 9kg.

I train on both, up to 80 mile routes (sometimes well loaded with food, water etc), so often have direct comparisons of the same route/climbs. Subjectively I feel the lighter bike goes up hills better but it has more optimal gearing for climbing, a stiffer frame and just feels more direct. It's also much more comfortable for fast descending.

Maybe there is a real quantifiable difference, but it's hard to say, as the conditions of the road, weather and my own body and mind vary from ride to ride and these all have an effect.

On reflection, when I do, say, hill "x" on an evening 30 miler, with the light bike and a small bottle of water, it most definitely feels easier than hill "x" at the start of an 80 mile ride on the fully loaded winter bike, so yes, a few kg does make a difference.