Bicycle weight on hills?

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I still want a new lighter bike though.
    You can write as much as you want but it all comes down to this ^^^^^^^

For what it is worth I used to weigh 98kg, I now weigh 89kg. (9kg loss).
    Climbing is a lot easier now :P
    My bike weighs around 9-10kg. I dread to think how much it would cost to get a 1kg bike :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It matters less for the big guys anyway.

For smaller guys the weight of the bike is a bigger proportion of the overall weight.

So every gram on my bike costs me twice as much as, say, Jzed.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    richVSrich wrote:
    ...if im 71kg - am I safe??? :P

The only danger is that you'd get washed away by a sudden downpour.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    Yes weight does make a difference, but personally I refuse to join the arms race! My Trek Pilot is as light as any of my bicycles are going to get, and I still prefer riding the Pashley on all but the hilliest/longest rides (albeit I do like to take my time and enjoy the view!).
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    SimonAH wrote:
    You weigh 120lb Rick??? I have a piece of advice for you. DO NOT USE AN UMBRELLA IN WINDY CONDITIONS.

As a shrimp at this weight I take PT in windy conditions. :D
  • Cookie91
    Cookie91 Posts: 97
    Hello, with regards to bike weight i would not beat yourself over it too much.
    The quality and set up of a bike will have a greater impact, as well as the gearing you choose to tackle the hill with.
    My advice over a couple of kg's would just be to give it a go, after 2 or 3 weeks your body will ajust and you should develop the muscle you need to carry the extra weight and tackle the hill with speed.

Another point for weight concerned people, go for a no. 2 before you ride. Simply way to lose pounds :D

Goodluck with your new bike!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Cookie91 wrote:
    The quality and set up of a bike will have a greater impact, as well as the gearing you choose to tackle the hill with.
    My advice over a couple of kg's would just be to give it a go, after 2 or 3 weeks your body will ajust and you should develop the muscle you need to carry the extra weight and tackle the hill with speed.

Another point for weight concerned people, go for a no. 2 before you ride. Simply way to lose pounds :D

No, no, no! That's far to sensible for a first post! If you're going to be like that, head over to Commuting General right this minute! :wink:

And welcome
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Me 56k, bike 8.5k, = 64.5k

lunch+snacks+drinks etc=5.5k

70 kilos!
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • rick_chasey
    team47b wrote:

70 kilos!

See - this chap is sensible.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    You carry a 12lb lunch around with you? Unless you sleep on a spin cycle you ain't gonna be that weight for long chum :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Yeah, I was slightly sceptical of the five and a half kilo lunch + snacks + drinks. I've got a healthy appetite, and I reckon I'd be doing well to get to 2kg for the whole day's intake.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    Yeah, I was slightly sceptical of the five and a half kilo lunch + snacks + drinks. I've got a healthy appetite, and I reckon I'd be doing well to get to 2kg for the whole day's intake.

I assume he means food, water, spare inner tube, tyre levers, rain jacket, etc etc.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    rjsterry wrote:

I assume he means food, water, spare inner tube, tyre levers, rain jacket, etc etc.

Still, that's some heavy kit!
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

Still, that's some heavy kit!

You say that. Cancellara was weighed fully laden before E3 last year and he topped the scales out at 92.5kg.

Think, clothing, shoes, helmet, food, water... And we carry all the things like spare inner tubes etc etc. It all adds up.
  • Cookie91
    Cookie91 Posts: 97
    kelsen wrote:
    Cookie91 wrote:

No, no, no! That's far to sensible for a first post! If you're going to be like that, head over to Commuting General right this minute! :wink:

And welcome

I do apologise , I mean errr.... Go for a dump man up, and destroy that hill! Or buy an electric like a granny!
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    team47b wrote:

70 kilos!

See - this chap is sensible.

Sensible? SENSIBLE?

He's a fecking Ooooopha Loooompha

56 kg . . . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • team47b
    "fecking Ooooopha Loooompha" is ok but...

I resent being called SENSIBLE!

OK, I lied about the 5.5 kilo lunch! A man can dream...

...67 kilos then :D

What's a rain jacket? :D
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    team47b wrote:

I haven't been your weight since I was 11 years old. Just an observation...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rick_chasey
    Joseph06 wrote:
    I take it you haven't read the Rider by Tim Krabe?g.gif

kelsen wrote:
    Is it faster climbing with the bidon in the holder or in your back pocket?

I take it you haven't read the Rider by Tim Krabe?
  • team47b
    DesWeller wrote:
    team47b wrote:

I haven't been your weight since I was 11 years old. Just an observation...

It's tough. I have a really strict diet, struggling to get up to my ideal weight of 58 kilos, it's not my fault, i'm small boned, fast metabolism, it's genetic, I just keep exercising, I can resist crap/fast food, don't eat pies, my downfall is I don't eat potatoes, don't drink beer/wine, but I will keep at it as I am determined, thanks for all your sympathies and words of encouragement guys, I will get there. :D

Actually, I have no choice but to have a perfect diet in order to balance carbs with injected insulin.

I miss cake :(
  • I live in a hilly area and ride a Raleigh Royal 1990ish model with V brakes fitted 2 bidon holders a hub dyno and a rack with panniers.
    The weight is not an issue what is important is the frame design.
    As a reference a bidon holding 800ml weighs 800 grams Roughly 28 ounces, 1 pannier with lock and wet gear and toolkit about 3 lbs. and I have no trouble with hills.
    Also an advantage of a touring bike is you don't catch your heels on the panniers Due to it having a longer set back at the rear which gives a longer wheelbase and a more comfortable ride to a racing bike
    I would definitely go with a touring bike as a commuter.
  • rick_chasey
    Also an advantage of a touring bike is you don't catch your heels on the panniers Due to it having a longer set back at the rear which gives a longer wheelbase and a more comfortable ride to a racing bike
    I would definitely go with a touring bike as a commuter.

Small feet help too.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I had a lesson in weight recently - carried my son's (8kg) PS3 on my back to work. Really made me realise what sort of difference that weight makes - especially as I could possibly shed something close to that if I put my mind to it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    I had a lesson in weight recently - carried my son's (8kg) PS3 on my back to work. Really made me realise what sort of difference that weight makes - especially as I could possibly shed something close to that if I put my mind to it.

8kg - This is how much my work backpack weighs almost.. when im cycling without it , it feels amazing :) i consider it training when i do have it on though...hehe
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Before marriage breakdown, I weighed a steady 74 to 75 kg and couldn't get below three minutes on the College Road challenge no matter how hard I tried/which bike I used.

Post split, my weight plummeted to around 65kg, which saw my times fall equally dramatically as well. Broke the three minute barrier on the posh bike and the commuter.

Losing the equivalent of a fairly light commuter road bike made a huge difference. Way more than, for example, upgrading your groupset to save about 500 grammes.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Power to weight, and drag. Rather annoyingly a chap from KW informed me that for the wattage I did at Hillingdon on the weekend, he would have been going 3 mph faster, now that was on the flat, but for shallow hills you can bet the same theory applies.

Not sure I agree with the Robert Millar stuff, I get beat up the short steep hills by Ed just as much as I would on the long steep ones, yet I'd imagine I create more power.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    team47b wrote:

Actually, I have no choice but to have a perfect diet in order to balance carbs with injected insulin.

Just inject more insulin ;)
  • team47b
    BigMat wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Just inject more insulin ;)

Gonna make some hot cross buns later, with brown flour and leave out the sugar, and eat them whilst on the exercise bike, have calculated the cadence to bun ratio! :D
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    team47b wrote:
    ... I ... don't eat pies, ... don't drink beer/wine...

You do realise what you've just said?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ah ha but what about all the chunky monkeys (my self included) having more power in their legs to lump all their timber up hills?

there was a fat kid in my school who was uber stong
    Keeping it classy since '83