Ardenne Extravaganza!

Comments

• So what have we learnt from yesterday's racing and how will this affect Fleche and Liege?

Gilbert looked so much better than he has so far this year, but good enough to win Fleche or Liege? Maybe not.

Sagan also looked strong, but will the next two races suit him? Not sure they will. Is he even riding?

Sanchez also was looking good, until his chain broke. 7th is pretty impressive despite that. Good enough to win either of the next two races, maybe?

And what happened to Valverde and J-Rod? Maybe they were saving themselves for next weekend?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    afx237vi wrote:

I saw that...!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:

I saw that...!

It's one thing when Cancellara says "I was strongest in MSR", but that is crazy. I didn't even know he was in the race, tbh.
  • rick_chasey
    So what have we learnt from yesterday's racing and how will this affect Fleche and Liege?

Gilbert looked so much better than he has so far this year, but good enough to win Fleche or Liege? Maybe not.

Sagan also looked strong, but will the next two races suit him? Not sure they will. Is he even riding?

Sanchez also was looking good, until his chain broke. 7th is pretty impressive despite that. Good enough to win either of the next two races, maybe?

And what happened to Valverde and J-Rod? Maybe they were saving themselves for next weekend?

Not much.

Gilbert won't win before June.

I get the impression J Rod was just badly positioned and got caught out behind the Cunego crash - same for Valvarde.

Other than that, in terms of winners anyway, it's sill a question mark.

Lotto will actually be visible in a few Belgian one-dayers. That's news I guess.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Is Fleche a chipper? It's short enough, and it's mid-week position also works against it.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    Is Fleche a chipper? It's short enough, and it's mid-week position also works against it.

Absolutely.
  • afx237vi
    I'd rather win Fleche than AGR. Huy is more of an iconic finish than the Cauberg.
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:
    I'd rather win Fleche than AGR. Huy is more of an iconic finish than the Cauberg.

Eerr, free beer?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:

Eerr, free beer?

Free beer is not even the best prize of the day, never mind the season. Tro Bro Leon winners get a piglet!
  • iainf72
    Amstel is a chipper too. Perhaps more of a curly fries and outright chipper, but still....
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Amstel is a chipper too. Perhaps more of a curly fries and outright chipper, but still....

Do you not like chips then?
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

I dunno. Saturday, 250+km...
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    afx237vi wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Eerr, free beer?

Free beer is not even the best prize of the day, never mind the season. Tro Bro Leon winners get a piglet!

Have any of the winners of the piglet kept the prize? perhaps fattening it up for a few years and then enjoying an array of high quality pork products?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    afx237vi wrote:

Agree.

I dont like these long races much. Basically in most cases they just ride and ride and ride before launching the hostilities in the same places as if they race was 50km shorter and in many cases the hostilities are unleashed nearer to the finish as the riders are smoked.

So yes, it is a testament to your talent and endurance that you can win at the end of 250km but it isnt much good for the fans.

I like the final climb of Huy.
    300-PIC104683130.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Hasn't someone, somewhere, at some point, said that every race on the calendar is a chipper? - with possible exception of Ronde, Roubaix and the World's (provided it's not on a chipper route like last year).
  • rick_chasey
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Hasn't someone, somewhere, at some point, said that every race on the calendar is a chipper? - with possible exception of Ronde, Roubaix and the World's (provided it's not on a chipper route like last year).

Hence Iain's keen interest in making sure the list is up-to-date.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:

Someone? Don't you just mean Iain?
  • rick_chasey
    Sagan's not riding any more Ardenne classics.

off to California.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204

off to California.

Has he just been made aware that they are chippers?
  • iainf72
    smithy21 wrote:

off to California.

LBL isn't a chipper.

I think I need to make some kind of diagram to explain the pecking order.
  • rick_chasey
    Do it.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Well there goes my PTP pick...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:

off to California.

LBL isn't a chipper.

I think I need to make some kind of diagram to explain the pecking order.

Do I suspect that that might be a bit like Frenchie's Panache chart - as in made up on the spot according to the creators wishes..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    ddraver wrote:

Do I suspect that that might be a bit like Frenchie's Panache chart - as in made up on the spot according to the creators wishes..?

I have a quarter of a century worth of experience grading races. I can remember the Wincanton Classic (chipper) and the Gran Prix des Nations (not chipper) and the Eindhoven TTT (unprocessed potato, not even a chipper)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    What happens if a True Champion wins a Chipper with panche? Is there a shake up in the various rankings?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    RichN95 wrote:
    What happens if a True Champion wins a Chipper with panche? Is there a shake up in the various rankings?

No. I was going to be flippant and say "Has EBH or Voeckler won the race?" and proclaim them chippers. But I'll try be a but more mature.
  • iainf72
    tumblr_m2l4n19Ek91qcn3m5o1_r1_500.png
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    I've just found my extremely rare copy of the 2009 compendium of cycling legends and folklore, 'Alkotják Kerékpározás Nonsense és baromság', by the obscure Hungarian cycling historian Professor Blajtant Cák, in which he claims that there are unconfirmed reports of a secret UCI select committee that meets every 10 years to decide what races are to be deemed 'déchiqueteur' - a crude French translation of 'chipper'.

Apparently, it used to be the case that any race won by Rob Hayles or Tony Gibb in the UK was instantly 'un vrai pièce dechiquetuer'.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    tumblr_m2l4n19Ek91qcn3m5o1_r1_500.png

Looks about right to me, I'd have just put Roubaix ahead of the Tour...